Muzzle Flashes!

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jordanlacey

Muzzle Flashes!

Post by jordanlacey »

Hey all, first time poster, long time reader, Ha!

Alright me and my friend just finished editing a test special effects and I want your opinions!

I made the muzzle flash small cuz it was overlapping the head, other than that, I need advice on the blood!

http://members.shaw.ca/jordweb/jordshot.gif

If you like you can check for updates at http://www.xmedia.vzz.net
Visit Us At [url]http://www.xmedia.vzz.net[/url]
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

I was watching it on a pretty dark screen so I didn't see any . It looked alright though.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Welcome to the forum! Looked good. I think it would look better if you made the blood darker.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Looks pretty good!

We made a similar test of our own, where I pointed a Deagle at my duplicates head, and pulled the trigger. The shooter and the victim are both lit up by the muzzle flash (as well as including a small flame from the barrel) and we also animated a bit of particle brain matter before I collapsed on my bed :). It's only a single static side-on camera shot, but for a test, that's all that was required.

I could post the link, but it was filmed on my Sony P72 Digicam! (quality's viewable, and it has a good soundtrack)

Up to you :).
jordanlacey

Post by jordanlacey »

Durandal wrote:Looks pretty good!

I could post the link, but it was filmed on my Sony P72 Digicam! (quality's viewable, and it has a good soundtrack)

Up to you :).
I would love to see it!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Okay, not bad. First off, I recommend deinterlacing the footage to eliminate though alternating lines in the movie. I would put a real recoil into that gun! The flash looks fine, though depending it may spread a bit more. Most people get carried away with huge flashes! Blood would blast out instantly after being shot in the head, the recoil should almost match the frame. The bullet would travel very fast. And the impact would most likely blow much much more than just blood at that range... try like part of the brain and a portion of the skull!

A shot in between the eyes is almost a guarenteed instant death, although there are few accounts where people have survived shots to the head!
jordanlacey

How?

Post by jordanlacey »

Alright, i have had people say 'De-interlace' but HOW!? I am using Adobe Premeir 6. Please, enlighten me.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Alrighty, to deinterlace in Premiere 6: When you use export to movie, click the settings button. Then scroll down to Special Processing and click on the modify button. Select deinterlace. Whoala! :D
Chris_film

Post by Chris_film »

i thought it was very good. but, like matt said, it would be better if the blood were darker
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Wouldn't it suck to be one of those people that take a bullet or two to the head and survive? I mean yeah, your alive but, c'mon! Yer all mangled up, and the headache after would be unimaginable.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

There's actually a story I heard, takes place in Vietnam. A soldier took a bullet in the head and there was blood everywhere. The medic was trying desperately to help the guy, and the surgeon came over and said, "forget it, he's gone." The head wound guy replied, "Hey! I'm still alive!" I bet that shocked the both of them.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

My uncle told me of a guy that took a bullet to the NECK and it BOUNCED around the inside of his SKULL and came out the top of his HEAD!

Obviously the guy is dead, his brains got shot up!
BTW my uncles in the army.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Re the video I made above - I've had a look at it, it's very, very dark. I'm currently very busy at the moment, but I'll try to brighten it up a bit before I post the link here. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of the day. Sorry it's taken so long :P (and as a quick disclaimer - we didn't spend much time making it perfect as it was a very quick test. Is we use this technique for our proper film, obviously we'd do it properly!).
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Eh it was ok :-/ i didnt even see a flash the blood didnt blend right, and the lack of denterlince made it hard to watch - better luck next time
Edit: i saw the flash after watching it again, looks pretty good i guess the blood needs to be better
Sigs suck a**.
jordanlacey

Post by jordanlacey »

Well, The De interlacing takes a cr** load of time to render! So until its actually a finished shot, I wont be waiting an hour to render a 10 sec clip.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

wow .. you dont got a great computer do you? To render 10 sec takes me hmm 20 sec lol
Sigs suck a**.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

http://cerby.no-ip.com/~durandal/MeShootsMe2.avi (about 2meg)

There it is. I do warn you now though...

It was filmed on my Sony P72 digicam, in a dark room, so the quality is awful. Especially as I had to manually whack up the brightness later.

Also, please excuse the rather horrific 'merging line' (shadow problem) in the middle - it was a very quick test shot! But we can sort out proper lighting, positioning and editing properly for our final film. We made this simply to see if it could be done at all - and we've proved that (in some form) it can be.

That is all :P.

(runs and hides)
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Downloading it now.. and wow is it taking forever! I have cable to
Edit:
Okay, saw it looks ok.. but since when does the whole room flash blueish when a gun is shot?(just to be relasitic) get rid of that add a gunshot sound, i think itll be pretty good muic playing was werid, but this has nothing to do with music
Sigs suck a**.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I think that sound is actually me collapsing on the bed! (Edit - misread post).

[edit] We actually did add a gunshot sound, but for some reason that wasn't included in the final render... [/edit]

Obviously like I said it was a quick and dirty play that spawned that video, so it's not refined in any way shape or form. The flash was actually produced using another digicam, pic taken at the time of trigger pull. That's why it's bluish. Obviously something to (in?)consider for the final film.
Last edited by Durandal on Fri May 14, 2004 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Oooooohh .. so you didnt mean it to be blueish bright like that? Otherwise your muzzle flash is the right size pretty much postinted right, and not showed to long or to short, if that blue wasnt there i think it would be pretty much really good! i think the darkness actually helps add a sort of mood to the clip
Sigs suck a**.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Not blue, no. Maybe what we could do is put a filter over that single (set of) frame(s) to change the colour to amber or something...

It was a test for the end of a certain dream sequence in our film, so actually we weren't sure whether to add a gunshot sound or not. Obviously the music's wrong for the final sequence, but hey, we feel it adds to this clip :).
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well, you dont need the room to light up at all, i mean think about if you were to shoot a real gun at someone in a room, would the whole room light up like that? Otherwise, looks good
Sigs suck a**.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I honestly wouldn't know :P.

My knowledge of what 'real' gunfire looks like comes from the movies! Although I admit it is a little bright, but for the film we won't be having gunfights and like like in such small rooms (hopefully).

Thanks for your comments :). (anyway, bedtime for me!)
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well, for a dramtiac shot i guess it works, for gunfights dont do that just have the muzzle
Sigs suck a**.
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Pretty good, a little hard to see, and I was not listening to it with sound, but other than that it looked good. I liked how it flashed like that too, but not the blue colour.