reflection removel ?

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

wozzo

reflection removel ?

Post by wozzo »

i have a prob with some reflections in some shots i have taken ,now not wanting to discard them is there any way i can get rid of them from the film,or is there any software that will let you do this.
i am useing adobe premiere pro 1.5 at the moment
any help would be appreciated.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I know that if you use a polarizing filter, that'll do the trick. Not sure if you can do that in post though.
@seanbagley
wozzo

Post by wozzo »

i think the post was unclear,what i have is a reflection of a light and someone stood behind the camera that you can see in the window .and was asking is there any way to get rid of this
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

depends on what the reflection was on, if there was motion in the camera, and whatever was behind the thing reflecting
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
wozzo

Post by wozzo »

the reflection was in a window and the camera tracked form right to left about 10 ft.and the reflection is in about 5 seconds of film
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

if its not that bad you could try blurring it in the frames its in, could take awhile but i dont think there is really any other way especially if the cameras moving
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
wozzo

Post by wozzo »

ok thanks for taking the time to reply.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

try masking it if you have after effects and creating a copy of the layer and gaussion blurring it heavily then just masking out around the edges. should work
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Could mask and track the entire window, and impose another image over the window, suck as an exterior scene.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

OK, a hint for avoiding shots like this in the future, like Gyro was trying to suggest, was to use a polarising filter - The reflection simply vanishes - Good for photography in museums where you have exhibits behind glass cases.

Also, you can try using a black cloth to cover the cameraman, and reflective parts of the camera (Apart from the lens of course).

Other than that, you're stuck with your shot, and you will have to spend quite a lot of time re-mastering the image. Wouldn't it be quicker to re-film this piece?
Moderating behind the bushes!
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

That happened to me once with a mirror. The cam appeared in the side of it for about 15 sec. It would have taken far too long to mask it out, so I just ended up leaving it. But if we're talking a scene in a masterpiece film here, I would re-film it without a second thought.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

A polarizer won't eliminate the reflection of an object in a window, only the bright refelction of light, when the angle is correct. To eliminate an unwanted reflection like this requires the DP to be totally aware of what is in teh viewfinder at ALL times... don't just look at the framing, look at all the background in the shots. Take LOTS of time to set up the shot, it's usually quicker in the long run than trying to fix it in post....
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

As for getting the angle of the polarizer right, you may have to rotate it until the most desirable image appears. Sometimes you may want a little glistening off the window or else it may look a bit plasticy!
wozzo

Post by wozzo »

ok thanks for the replys but i bit the bullet and reshot the entire footage again but without the sound man in the window .with much p*** taking and laughing at i have sorted it .thanks