I NEED HELP! - Zombie film assistance

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

crazybobmac

I NEED HELP! - Zombie film assistance

Post by crazybobmac »

Hi, im new to this website, so ill start off by saying hi. Im currently doing media studies a-level and im looking for some help. We were given a choice for advertising a film (e.g. poster, trailer, products etc) that we had created ourselfs. I chose to use a film trailer and im thinking of doing a zombie type horror film and i want to make it nice and gory! I woz wondering if any one had any tips for making zombie films that could help me (like with make-up, special FX, ideas to try, etc). Also what would be the best program for editing, ive got ulead video studio 6 basic and WMM (s***) but these are both pretty basic and i want more features. Any tips, ideas, websites, etc.. would be much appricated. Thanks. :)
innerpartyprole

(.....POSSIBLE IDEAS FOR ZOMBIE FILM TRAILER)

Post by innerpartyprole »

Hey, welcome to the forum, I am a newbie myself. If this might be of interest. A really good editing program to use (non-linear) is ''Adobe Premier'' on pc or Mac. That has lots of features and something like 6.5 is pretty easy to use, well as long as you think logically, the buttons are easy to use mostly. It can be downloaded from the net of course ever so slightly not legally, as it costs hundreds.

Most of the stuff you can build as props, are mentioned on this very site, with instructions on how to make them, such as fake blood, glass etc.

Even if that didn't help. Good luck :)
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i use premiere sometimes but i prefer after effects. its similar but i think its better. download the demos of the companys website and see which you like the best. There was some topic awhile back on zombie films, just do a search for it on the forum. For blood and stuff try grants site: www.sickindividual.com
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Welcome to the forum!!

Basic makeup, well just watch lots of BTS from zombie movies such as resident evil to get some ideas.

Stunts and effects, well you can use squibs, and for blood a reciepe of fake blood. Check your local party store, they should have cinimatics make up blood for only around 8$.

Do NOT Download illegal softwear. Thats a big mistake. If your going to seriously get into this, look into an ediucatinal discount, becuase you'll want the softwear legal. You can using Adobe premiere pro , Final cut pro, or Vegas for basic editing. Theres other programs , such as composting like ae, and 3d in something like 3ds max, dvds with something like encore, sound with something like audition, ect.
Sigs suck a**.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

For make up look up 'liquid latex' on the internet. It's the best stuff you could ever have for a zombie film!

Check out my trailer in my sig for inspiration and sexual feelings :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah, to bad we may never see the finished product!
Sigs suck a**.
crazybobmac

Post by crazybobmac »

Thanks guys, i recently bought adobe premiere 6.5, and got some make up from a local shop. Does anyone know of any good adobe premiere tutorial websites? Thanks
kingstoph

Post by kingstoph »

Go to http://www.hompageofthedead.com and ask the guy there, other wise you could get a load of ketchup and blaccurrant and mix that togher, works but is a sticky f**cker! for guts just get loads of meat realy, cover it in the fake blood, and Valaa! im makeing one myself at this time so yes, have you scripted it all yet?
kingstoph

Post by kingstoph »

Go to http://www.hompageofthedead.com and ask the guy there, other wise you could get a load of ketchup and blaccurrant and mix that togher, works but is a sticky f**cker! for guts just get loads of meat realy, cover it in the fake blood, and Valaa! im makeing one myself at this time so yes, have you scripted it all yet?
Passit

Post by Passit »

Woah! double post! .... just thought i would be the first to say it!!!
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

you could use a pump? to spray blood thats what I use so Good LUCK!
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Ketchup is probably the first thing that comes to mind when someone thinks whats a cheap fast easy way to do blood? Trust me, it does not work. If you don't want to believe me, you can learn through experiances. Raw ketchup will stain clothes ( Well most blood products do! ) and you won't be able to see it to well, other then a blob like you spilt thick water on your shirt. You can try and watering down the ketchup , but it really dosn't look to well when filming. I would highly recommend the cinimatics blood. Did you even consider it?
Sigs suck a**.
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

I keep telling people that the majority of "hollywood" blood is just Dick Smiths corn syrup recipe. You can get all the ingredents at you local super market and make a fair amount of blood on the cheap.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah, exactly. Isn't there a tutorial on this site or something? if your lazy, you can just buy the blood recipe completly done from a store.
Sigs suck a**.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yeah, in my experience it's better to just make the blood yourself. It's cheaper, and you can control the colour and viscosity of it. And I3lade is definatly right, ketchup is the worst fake blood ever. And a room splattered with it smells so bad it will turn you off the stuff for weeks.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Yeah that always works, or you could get red food color and mix it up for more blood. You can use this for more blood like if you shoot them and the blood goes everywhere thats just a ideal.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
JJJSWIFT

Post by JJJSWIFT »

For all my zombie movies and/or attempts we've made batches and batches of blood. The best way to do it I think is to make different kinds for different purposes. I have some names for the different types I make. Mouth blood (obviously goes in the actors mouth) is made from Kayro syrup and food coloring/jello because it doesnt taste half bad (kinda like a lollipop). For far away blood you can just boil flour and water to make it thicker then do food coloring to make it the right color. For crusty body blood I make dough (flour and water) and put it all over the actors body to make him look all gross then put fake blood on the spots that are not covered by the dough/fake-skin stuff. Make sure u leave plenty of spots for the fake blood (for this method we just used some washable red paint from the art store. We've also had scenes where someone is in a bathtub aand been shot in the head so we made a huge vat of the boiled flour water type...added some jello and food coloring for consistency put some cooked speghettie in it and splashed it on the wall of the tub then poured some on the actor. Hope that helps u out a little bit. Good luck