Wire rig

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

alright, but the ropes you use seem so thick, can't I use smaller ones, so that i have to remove less in PP? Or isn't that safe?
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

It's always a good idea to take a backplate image when working with wires. If you overimpose the action layer over the backplate layer, when you erase the wires in the action layer, the erased part of the action layer will be unnoticeable cause' the backplate layer will be showing through the erased part of the action plate.

You can see that in the images of the "Flying lady" the rope in the center of the fly bar is thicker than the two wires coming from each leg of the fly bar, if you use longer cables from each leg, they will be almost invisible to the camera.

To be more acurate, shoot the scene against a blue/green screen and paint the cables and the flybar the same color as your background. You can also sew slip-covers for the ropes and FB with color matching fabric. After keying, everything is gone.

You can use smaller ropes BUT.......... the thiner they are, the weacker they turn to be. I recomend using cables rather than ropes. Your hardware store can make the end-loops for you (to attach the carabiners). Painting the cables black and shooting at a distance also work well cause the camera will be less likely to see the wires.

Sory for the delay... I was in vacations in New York, that city rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tumblemonster

Post by tumblemonster »

I posted this link in another thread, but Ithought I'd post it again here. I wrote this and recently updated as an introduction to Wire Flying:

www.jushhome.com/nick/Tutorial/WireFlying.asp

-Jason
Professional Wire rigging and stunt coordination: http://www.tumblemonster.com