Spider Cobwebs

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Slash

Spider-web

Post by Slash »

The question is simple. How could I make spiderweb in a movie? What is the material used for it?

Thanks for help! :D
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Use the nylon halloween spider web stuff! The 99 cent stores have them really cheap! :D
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Yeah, I think those stores sell it for like 99 cents a bag. :P
Have fun.

(To be somewhat useful...yeah, that halloween stuff is exactly what is used on most professional TV productions too.)
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

the question i want to ask is... do you want the look of cheesy horror movie webs in which case you will be able to use the nylon stuff or do you mean a spun web as seen on spiderman in which case they used wire to get the specular highlights to show up on camera.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I used to sell that stuff! It stretches out for miles! Use it sparingly and get the best effect! I was selling it for £1.25 a bag!

You can also buy spiderweb spray in a can, although I admit I haven't seen it on sale for a few years

To aid the spiderweb look, spray talc all over the set. It creats a lovelly "hasn't been lived in much recently" look! Don't put it on the floor, just on surfaces.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Grant

Post by Grant »

you can stretch out cotton wool to give a web and aged effect. Some people also use modified hot glue guns to stream out thin strands of hot glue to form bulk webs
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I was going to suggest the glue gun strands, but they take hours and hours and hours to do, and if you're not careful, you end up with big blobs of glue either side of the strands!
Grant

Post by Grant »

good for that more solid look :)
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

I kept all of mine from october just in case i needed them.
You can buy Green,Pink and White webs
Cotton streched out will work good too.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah cotton is a nice and less messy method
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Famous wrote:I kept all of mine from october just in case i needed them.
Eww! I couldn't do that because after I take my webs down they are all intermingled with real cobwebs! Sometmes real spiders too! :D
Grant

Post by Grant »

even finely strung wool will do the job, especially stright from the fleece
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

The hot glue strings method it's very good but it's time consuming to achieve a realistic loock. There is a device to attach to a regullar electric drill that makes really impresive spiderwebs using a special fluid sold with the device. I't a cobweb spinner.

http://www.yardhaunter.com/halloween_cobwebs.html
The source page of the images explain another method using compresed air and hot glue:

quote:
COBWEB SHOOTERS
Ever wonder how haunted attraction spin their cob webs? Opposed to the unit above, these are called Cob-web Shooters, and that's exactly what they do.

Cob-web shooters spray out realistic looking webs much faster than fan type web-spinners. The base unit is a highly customized hot glue gun, equipped with a special tip that transfers the webbing material into a stream of compressed air, allowing for detailed application of cob-webs. These types of web shooters do require an air compressor with up to 100psi.

Whether you need close-in webs for detailed work, or are shooting webs over the front of your garage, this unit can do the job. Using the flow-valve, you can adjust amount and density of the cob-webs produced. The web material cleans off easily, but we always recommend that you test some on important materials. This unit uses regular hot glue sticks to produce lots of great looking cob-webs. Or, you can buy special glow-in-the-dark glue sticks that glow under Black Light. Another nice benefit to these types of web shooters, is that you don't have to worry about the web fluid drying up over time.

Minions Web actually has detailed instructions for building your own, or if you prefer, you can buy a ready-to-go unit for less than fifty-dollars from them.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Looks good. For most people, it is easier and cheaper to go buy a large packet of halloween spiderweb.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Wow Ivan, that looked really great! Is it easy to clean up after? Wouldn't the glue strands stick into everything?
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Thats what glue useually does.

I like the "Holloween Web" Idea. The only problem is that they usually come in one huge, bulging, Pulsating mass or carbon, and it would take time to unravel, but probably less time that it would take waiting for glue to dry.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hot glue dries pretty fast, especially as thin strands. Probably around a second to harden.
jwb

Cobb webs

Post by jwb »

I am making my "amnesia" film in september. I have several scenes where the main charcter comes into abandoned houses. These houses have been abandoned for atleast 3 years. I will have dust every where, and that's the easier part. The hard part is to fake cob webs. Does anyone have any suggestions that work the best.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Just buy plenty of that Halloween fake spider web stuff. (The cottony fibres that come in a big tangled ball.) Just take your time and stretch it out as fine as you can, it really works well. I think they make spray on stuff in a can too, no idea how well it works though.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah strung out cotton wool is the easiest method and even an air blower and hot glue gun
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

also polystyrene cement (the moddeling glue) will fluff up and look like cobwebs with pressure on it (mayb hit it a load of times with a hammer)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Check out this existing topic on Spiderwebs: http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/view ... ght=spider

By the way, if you're trying to find anything, use the search facility. I simlpy typed in spider to find it.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

A wad of cotton strung out is the best way to do it, that is what I would do.
october

Post by october »

here, ive used this method, except i ended up using a propeller from a model plane (backwards so the air blows forward) and a prescription pill bottle, it works fairly well. you may need to practice a little to get the webs to look right. also you might need to mess w/ lighting so they show up on camera...

http://thehorrordome.com/HDPROPS/SpiderWebSpinner.htm

here is a hotglue version, it is a little more ambitious though.

http://www.minionsweb.com/webgun.htm
"ORGANIZE BEFORE THEY RISE..."
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

By the way, if you're trying to find anything, use the search facility. I simlpy typed in spider to find it.
i never used the search thing because whenever i tried it nothing would come up but then i realiozed i was using the one for searching articles and stuff
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!