How's this bomb look?

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

How's this bomb look?

Post by ChibiVader »

This prop is one for the Matrix fan film I'm working on. It's based partly on the bomb in the movie. Below is a picture of the one from the first movie.

Let me know what you think.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Very very good
Don't let the cops see it good
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

That is awsome. Very nice, and yes don't let the cops see it. They may shoot first, ask questions later.

What material did you use for the contents of your explosive packets?
Grant

Post by Grant »

very nice and very intricate
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

The packets are actually flower and water. Underneath the whole thing there's a cardboard box just to keep it up and not sitting on the bottom of the deep duffle bag. As you can see off to the right in the picture, there's a place where I'm going to put another few packets. But I need another box to stick on the end to make it so I can fit 3 more on there and keep the size of the packets consistent.

Also, here's a close up of the control panel.

It's not quite finished. I'm going to put the little labels on everything like the control panel in the movie version has. I'll also be wiring the rest of the lights up so they all come on. Except for the countdown timer. That's going to be animated in After Effects since I don't know how to create a circuit that would do the countdown.

Also, I'm debating another idea. The bomb is carried by a character that's being chased. I'm wondering if I should use the shoulder strap or have her carry it by the side handles. I'm thinking more the side handles because the actress is very short and having it over her shoulder would probably cause it to hang right at her knees and make it hard to run.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Interesting. Actually, when I was in Radio Shack probably a year ago, they had pre built circuits for sale which you could program to display number, letters, characters however you wished. You may want to look into that, because it would be easier and more realistic than After Effects. Plus those kinds of things are generally very cheap too.

If the actress is running with the duffle bag, you could just take the contents out and fill it with newpaper. Then replace the bomb for the close-up shots.
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

Put some weight inside, small rocks work well. Having the bag filled with paper will cause it to move UNREALISTICLY. If it's suposed to have a bomb inside , it should weight a few pounds, and if it's filled with paper it will be so lightweigt that it will freely bounce in every direction. People WILL NOTICE that the bag is empty if it doesn't have some weight on it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well, I was thinking that she wouldn't be able to run right with all the weight pulling on her arm. That is why I suggested the newspaper. Chibivader said the bag was handing by her knees!
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

And keep it simple...... the more cr** you add to it, the more "fantastic"= FAKE it will look.
1 or 2 blinking LED's will be sufficient.
Good job !!!
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

The LEDs won't be blinking. One (the top green one) will light up will light up when the correct password for the bomb has been entered and it's ready to arm. The red one turns on when armed.

And I will be taking the bomb out to do the scenes where the actress runs with it. I'll probably just find another large box about the same size and put that in with a small weight.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Very nice! Should look really good on film
Sigs suck a**.
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

I will be taking the bomb out to do the scenes where the actress runs with it. I'll probably just find another large box about the same size and put that in with a small weight.
Epsilon misunderstood, that's what I meant!!!
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

So I learned a lesson today. When I woke up my room smelled kinda funny. But I didn't know why. When I came back from my first class, I noticed it again. I opened up the bag that the bomb prop was in to work on it some more.

Apparently, when you mix flour and water, and leave it in a warm place, it expands. This caused the packs that the "explosive" was in to burst open and spill all over the prop. And it also smelled bad.

[img]http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/images/ickbomb.jpg][/img]

So I had to throw them all away. I did manage to wash off the control box and get most of it out of the bag though. So... any ideas on what to make the explosive out of next time?

I was thinking just regular flower (since it's cheap). I would use clay, but that is too expensive. We've already blown our budget for this project. So does anyone have an opinion on an inexpensive idea?[/img]
Grant

Post by Grant »

well the flour and water would have been turning into dough, it will also start to rot then also. With raw flour make sure you do not store it in a very warm area just incase it does not combust! which has been known to happpen under strange conditions
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You should keep those pictures as a "before and after" example.

How about crunched up styrofoam in plastic bags? It would even be extremely light weight too.
Spike

Post by Spike »

i don't think you should use plain flower, it's to white and looks alot more like drugs :)
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah maybe a slight greyish tinge would be a great colour
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Sawdust died with a gray fabric dye ( Rit brand). I used to get sawdust at lumber yards, usually they are more than happy to get rid of it by just giving it to you. Lay it out on aluminum foil, mix up the RIT dye and put it in a spray bottle, then spray it over the sawdust till you get the desired color. Leave it lay out on the pan till dry, then repeat until you have enough. Work with thin layers of sawdust so the dye gets good penetration. This will give you a slightly mottled color. To get more even color on the sawdust, mix the dye in a bowl, place the sawdust in an old screen strainer and dip it into the dye bowl. Gently stir the sawdust till it all gets coated, let it drain out in the strainer, then spread over foil to dry.
A couple of precautions.... Wear rubber gloves, protect surrounding surfaces, and wear old clothes LOL.
Also for anyone who is doing miniature modeling, the dyed sawdust is a common texturing trick for "zip texturing" on model railroads. A base contour of the ground is built using cardboard supports covered with paper towels dipped in plaster of paris. After this shell sets up, seceral coats of plaster are brushed over the surface to gice some layers for added strength ( Before applying a new coat of plaster, allow the previous coat to cure completely, then mist it with water before applying the next coat to ensure a good bond. After the final coat has cured 24 - 48 hours, a base coat of color is sprayed on again using fabric dye, a little less water is used than the directions call for to ensure a fuller color. After the dye has dried, a coat of white glue thinned with water is sprayed or brushed on, and the dyed sawdust is applied to add texture for areas like grass weeds and dirt. Just some thoughts, a bit off topic toward the ned there LOL
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

If it is a fertilizer bomb, use real fertilizer!

How about birdseed, playdough, sand, or powdered concrete.
Super Chicken

Post by Super Chicken »

looks awsome! kudos to you
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

So far, Playdough sounds like the best replacement. I'll have to find my recipie for it.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

looks great, i need good props
@seanbagley
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

After I finish filming the movie I'm using this for, I'm probably going to sell the prop so I can get some of the money back I spent on this movie.
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

lol, i think I know why it expanded: was it self-rising flour?
or just plain flour?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

ChibiVader wrote:After I finish filming the movie I'm using this for, I'm probably going to sell the prop so I can get some of the money back I spent on this movie.
Well, I don't think you could sell it on eBay. It might be too similar to an actual bomb and they might remove the item from the listing!

People never take me seriously when I say that car washes bring in huge amounts of money. My friend's theater group brings in over $2,000 for a saturday of washing cars. You just need to have a sign that states you are a group making money for student projects. It also doesn't hurt to have a few girls in bikinis! That usually gets the men in. :)