Storm Trooper Suit Site

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Grant

Storm Trooper Suit Site

Post by Grant »

Interesting site i found for those interested in making their own Storm Trooper suits

http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

That's one of the better trooper pages out there. I've got a list going on how to make virtually any Star Wars costume here
Grant

Post by Grant »

BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I'll probably never make a Star Wars fanfilm, but these are cool to look around. They offer some great techniques that can be used to construct all kinds of props, etc. Good finds!
Grant

Post by Grant »

the costumes are very intricate but broken down into components parts helps you to understand the construction. They look really cool also :)
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Me and Adam made stormtrooper costumes for New Years Eve 1999. Cost a fortune. Took ages. Resulted in multiple burn injuries from heat guns.

Will try to dig out some photos ... they are old school 35mm photos so may take some time !

Making stormtrooper costumes is not for the faint hearted ... I almost had a nervous breakdown. Adam had the largest electricity bill ever ....

My costume is in a big box in the garage.

It was easily the longest, most expensive project I have ever undertaken. All because we once decided "hey it would be cool to make stormtrooper costumes!".

Beware.

It W
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I'd like to see some of those photos! By the way, how much did they cost you?
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

The average cost for a stormtrooper costume is generally $600-$1000 US. However, good Vader costumes cost much more.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

...which is precisely why it is not wise to do a Star wars fanfilm! :shock:
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

There are many, many, many Star Wars Replica sites out there! So much fun! I like to read their tutorials too even though I do not plan to really build a suit.

I did see a number of original trilogy costumes (Vader, Stormtroopers, Luke, Liea) go out for auction somewhere around a year ago. Half of them didn't get sold because the owners wanted so high of a reserve price.
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

...which is precisely why it is not wise to do a Star wars fanfilm!
Star Wars fan films can be cheap. Just don't do any stormtroopers, Vaders, Fetts...

Jedi costumes are very cheap. And lightsabers are as well.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah
Jedi Costume = cape with hood + broomstick
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Good logic! I still have no intentions of ever making a Star Wars fan film. An original sci-fi film? Maybe. But I like sticking to my own original stuff.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I am working on one in my head at the moment just for some fun to do one day
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

I've got two scripts finished. One calls for far more actors than I could ever find and incredibly complex costumes (mostly Jedi, but finding a convincing Yoda costume or someone to CG him? Yeah right!)

The second one has a very small cast and I'll probably film this summer assuming I get finished with my Matrix movie. However, I need to find a few more locations before I can do it. I do have all the actors I'll need and they're all already cast.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Sounds fun. I think rather than another Star Wars flick, why not make something more original?
Grant

Post by Grant »

i am not going recognised characters. Mine is based on a Jedi Knight called Morihei Ushiba who was an hand to hand expert and eventually died fighting Darth Vader, the Emperor and 10 Dark Side Adepts all at the same time. Ushiba maimed Darth, wounded Emperor Palpatine and killed all the Dark Side Adepts, but was finally killed by the Emperor's Force Lighting and a final stroke from Lord Vader’s lightsaber.
But mine will be an earlier adventure :)
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

Mine are set far away from the time of the movies as to give more creative liberties. The first one, with Yoda, explains how he was granted Jedi Knighthood.

The other one is about the Sith and how they prepetuate their linage.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Mine at the moment is basically a fight scene but with a twist at the end :)
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

The average cost for a stormtrooper costume is generally $600-$1000 US. However, good Vader costumes cost much more.
Wow 600? I usssaly here of them 1000$+, biker scouts are cheaper becuase really you only need 4 atachable armor piececs front and back so that would be 100-300 im guessing? The rest is just shoulder pads,elbow padsm knee pads, and a belt really oh and of course the helment, good thing i pmed grant about a starwars thing becuase all you guys gave great links :D

Edit Idea: You know i had the funniest dream last night about some star wars thing .. maby i should try it lol it was pretty funny
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

Actually, scout troopers ar $400-$500 US. Most of the cost is the helmet. It's the most complex piece and to get a really good sculpt is what either makes it or breaks it.

And yes, some Stormtrooper suits do go over $1000, but they'd better come with the full deal (ie, blaster, shoulder pauldron, undersuit, boots,....). However, a good Vader costume is by far the most expensive. Mine is pretty cheaply done and still cost ~$300.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I saw a vader costume once in MYERS for $2000, looked awesome though
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

I know someone that sells stormtrooper kits. They come with all the armor pieces, the helmet(you have to do a little assembly), and most of the assembly is velcroing the armor together. All this is for about $600, including shipping. It doesn't include the black undersuit , but you can get those at any dancewear store. The guy's name is Doug Barret and you can email him at frodounderhill@earthlink.net .