Squib question...

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Squib question...

Post by Vamp »

I'm trying to think of a movie where the guy firing the gun and the guy being shot have been in the same frame during the point of blood-splutation, If not, then I can understand the firework to set off the squib or pressure pump method, but if they're in the same shot and there's no cut between firing the gun and blowing the squib, how else could it work?
www.neverdead.co.nr
townshend88

Post by townshend88 »

i personally steer clear of firecrackers because they seem so unrealible compared with the air compressor method, but i was thinking about the same thing for my next movie, i want at least one shot where the dude firing and the one getting hit are in the same shot.
i think it can work if you set up the compressor all ready to go and simply have someone release the valve when you pull the trigger of the gun. it may take more than one take, but you should be able to get the third guy to release the blood about at the right time, maybe have some sort of cue right before you fire, like you say a line and immediatly after you fire the gun.
also, if the the shooter and the victim are a good distance from each other, you can fire multiple rounds but only have one of the shots actually "hit" the victim. best of all, if you use a two headed valve so it looks like two simultaneous bullet hits after you fire a burst of shots, it would probably work best. this might look more realistic anyway, it will just take some decent acting.
"Can the boy tell time?"
"Oh my Lord, no."
Grant

Post by Grant »

the major difference that is not usually spoken of here is that crackers are an explosive method and thus more dangerous and harder to predict the outcomes than the compressed air methods are. I have had chunks of skin blown off me due to crackers :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Try using a manual trigger, possibly a air tube, with a bulb you could squeeze, something that wouldnt kill you when it blows up.
@seanbagley
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I promise after Easter I'll post my tutorial on how you can do this! I have perfected a method where someone shoots you from the front, the bullet leaves an entry hole, and blows the back of your head away. It's all done with compressed air and some electrics. Be patient, and you'll be rewarded. I was going to do this as an April Fool's joke, but it takes 2 people, and Mark wasn't well, so it's been postponed.
Moderating behind the bushes!
the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

ok ok, I've done this in two shorts
the thing is really easy you just have to get a system worked up
in the first movie, I got shot in the head so I had it all rigged up and I had the air hose in my own hand, i was standing in the middle of a field and you couldnt even see it ( it was really long) it was running up my leg,into my sleeve back out up my neck and attached ot hte back side of my head...the shot was at a first person perspective of the shooter, and we just timed it right with the shot, when i heard the shot i pulled the trigger and reacted, it looked really good the lag wasnt really noticeable.

The second time was a bit better

the kid was at really close range so it need to be instant,
so the camera was facing my back and the kids face was visible as the gun was pointed at my head.

we had it planned out
where I would blink, and when i did that i would pull my trigger ( air hose) and he would pull his. it looked perfect,

really good...

so yeah its possible
it takes practice and alot of .. umm... "rigging it up"
but it is very very possible, plus it adds ALOT OF realism