legal question - Airsoft Guns

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

legal question - Airsoft Guns

Post by I3lade203 »

Anyone know if airsoft guns are illegal in new york(Long island specificly)? I know you have to be 18 or older to buy them.. but besides that is it illegal to own one here?
Sigs suck a**.
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i dunno about NY, but in california theyre legal you just cant take off the orange thingy
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I heard they arnt legal in NYC, would that apply to long island as well?
Sigs suck a**.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Most airsoft websites say that they won't ship to New York or California. Meaning that there is some kind of law prohibiting them. So I would definitely assume that the same applies to Long Island.
Erm... yeah...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well the sites i see say NYC meaning the city, and i know lots of people here have them so hrm..
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Interesting... I can order a firearm into California! Ooo special! :)
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

ALL airsoft guns are legal, the state laws say that They must have the orange thing on them, must be on YOUR property, and if your going to transport them, they must be boxed up. Recon told me this. speakin of airsoft next week when my mother gets her check i get to go buy 3 more airsoft-handguns
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Anyone know about CANADA?
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

If u can smoke weed in canada legally im sure airsoft is no problem
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

As far as I know Truggy, it's not legal to do that there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe it would be legal in any of Her Majesty's commonwealth countries! It's not the done thing.

What's the difference between airsoft and BB guns???? How do they work differently, and how is their appearance different?
Moderating behind the bushes!
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

The largest difference between a BB gun and an airsoft gun is the type of projectile, and possibly the means of launching it. A BB gun fires a copper or lead pellet, and usually uses compressed air to fire it, while an airsoft gun fires a plastic BB, and uses a spring, CO2, or electricity to fire it.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

Air is perfect, dude electrifying airsoft guns would be kool, it hits em and shocks em
--
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Umm... pardon me, but what in the holy hell are you talking about? Anyway, I think the biggest difference between airsoft and regular BB guns is that airsoft guns are pretty much exact replicas of real world firearms, which makes playing the sport that much more fun than say, paintball. Plus airsoft is a hell of a lot cheaper - about 18 bucks for 5,000 BBs. The BBs are plastic, by the way. They work great for movies, and they're tons of fun to go 5 on 5 skirmishes with em'.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Airsoft guns are occasionally called BB Guns too, just to confuse matters, but in this case BB stands for "Bullet Ball" rather than Ball Bearing. Yes they're plastic, but they're not (unless a mod job has been done, which is rare) fired by CO2 or electricity :P. I know what you mean though. The cheap pistols and most sniper rifles use a spring, primed everytime the slide/bolt is cocked. The gas guns use a special airsoft gas, known as with HFC-134a, American Eagle or Green Gas (Black gas also exists, but can blow up the gun in extreme circumstances), where the gas 'blows' the bb from the chamber. Electric rifles, or AEG's, use a battery powered motor to pull back and release the spring that fires the bb out from the compressed air, allowing for full-auto action.

Airsoft guns are highly detailed replicas (as SgtPadrino said) while most "BB Guns" are solid metal (or monkey metal) gun-shaped objects. And never forget - despite their realism and what you occasionally hear in the media, they could never be modified to fire live real ammunition.

Ok, too much detail ;).
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

im 14 and i have bought bb guns in england. surely in america, where you can purchase real firearms, there should be no problems about a bb gun (or airsoft)
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

lukeprausnitz wrote:im 14 and i have bought bb guns in england. surely in america, where you can purchase real firearms, there should be no problems about a bb gun (or airsoft)
You will just have to be 18 to buy them here, just because we can buy real guns doesn't mean that everything isn't super regulated.
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

I just buy BB guns for my films and they don't have an orange thing, so I really have nothing to worry about :D
"Prolly Just Film"
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

kk, Lemme lay down the law

Airsoft guns ARE illegal in New York, and in all states of america its illegal to not have the orange stripe. If it doesnt come with one, its in your best interest to paint one, or call the police and ask for permission to use them
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Actually, it's not illegal to take off the orange tip. It's only legally madatory for vendors to sell the guns with the orange tip. If you remove the tip after you receive the gun, all it does is void the warranty; you won't actually get in legal trouble. You will, however, be in a whole other world of trouble if you take these guns out in public.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Yes, it isn't the taking the cap off you should be worried about, but rather the SWAT team taking you out for point blanking a couple of actors...
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

hmm, well the best idea is to go down to your local police station, and ask them there. Make sure to be polite and explain its for film purposes and U wont be firing anything
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Damn this is confusing, becuase some stores evens ell airsoft guns here lol
Sigs suck a**.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

i got an airsoft gun, but i had to return it, it was missing a loader. i used it while filiming my vietnam movie, then packed it up and brought it back.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

Okay, we used an airsoft gun in a production of mine. Most recently and we didn't get caught but a friend of ours used it in one of his films and found him self in a holding cell, becuase my friends they are absolutely illegal in New York City. However, I am a big paintball fan and I know all guns that are air operated like airsoft and paintball guns etc. Are illegal in New York city, but are legal out on the Island. So on long island it is legal and also in Staten Island for some weird reason even though it is one of the five buroughs. I3lade just don't go to Rockaway or Rosedale in queens Cause anywhere that is close ot Long Island but is still considered Queens you will get arrested and be safe have someone hold a sign saying we are only filming a movie just because some of those guns look real. And you don't want confusion.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

SgtPadrino wrote:Actually, it's not illegal to take off the orange tip.
I don't know about where you live, but it is a felony to permanently "Obscure" the orange tip. Which means you can't cut it off or paint it. To get arround this, put black electrical tape over the tip and remove it when you're done.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.