legal question - Airsoft Guns

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

i bought a bunch of airsoft guns off ebay. Yeah recon whats this law u were sayin u cant bring em off your property?
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I don't know about your state specificly truggy, but anywhere in the US if you brought an airsoft gun into public your most likley going to get arrested and have the chance of getting shot.
Sigs suck a**.
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

In, Long Island, where me and my friends buy air guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, and any gun that uses air their hasn't even been an orange tip on any of the guns. The gun I used in my most recent film was an air gun and looked very real and had no tip.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
Scott_Talbot

Post by Scott_Talbot »

general, common sense rules:

-Only use the guns on your property or on property you have premisson to use.
-Dont use it in front of other people. (dont use it in the city park, down at city hall, in the middle of your track-home neighbor hood.)
-Dont shoot people with BBs

basicly, property rights are very strong in the united states. Just stay on your property and dont threaten anyone.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Another good idea is to generally keep away from public eye when possesing a replica weapon of any sort. People sometimes aren't very hesitant to call the police.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

What about Australia! What about Australia! Wahhhhhh!!!! *runs and sobs into a corner*
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

In Oregon my airsoft guns didn't even come with an orange tip, so I guess they don't care.

Desert Eagle style
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

well, (As I've complained to a few people on here) The govenor of Michigan is an over-protective mother who is in a constant state of PMS. If she can put restrictions on it, she has. Yea, it's great that some fat kid in Cedear Springs hasn't blown his fingers off with a firecracker, but it's really just an inconvenience to the rest of the people with above-room-temperature IQs
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

. . . I think I better make some new arrangements for my airsoft guns if it's a felony to have them painted.

I can tell you without a doubt that airsoft guns are 100% legal in CA: I've purchased them on the internet and had them shipped here no problem, and more significantly, I can go to the local Big 5 sporting goods store and buy them.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

Yes, there are electric airsoft guns they're called AEG on the websites. they are probably the most realistic, but more expensive. Whatever you do, don't go strutting around with any replica guns in the open even with the orange thing on. I had a few moments where I had a policeman watching me while I had one, I got lucky and he drove away. If you're going to use them, don't do it on Long Island. Go somewhere in Upstate New York in the country. Less chance of attracting unwanted attention.
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

I usually put black magic marker over the orange tip of all my airsoft guns. it looks really good but isnt permanent (it rubs off without much effort).
ITs just common sense not to walk around with ANY weapon (real or not) in public. Youcan be walkin down the road with a squirt gun that you painted, but still looks really unrealistic, and some old lady is gonna have a heart attack and call the cops....
One question, even if your only fourteen and you call the local police station and tell them you are going to be using replica weapons etc. to film...they arent going to have a problem with it?
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

OutcastJiob wrote:I can tell you without a doubt that airsoft guns are 100% legal in CA
I would just call your local police and ask, tell them what you are doing and ask them what they think.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

tallman_house_pictures wrote:Anyone know about CANADA?
Illegal. They're considered Restricted Weapons, like full auto assalut rifles.
However, Canadian Tire and S.I.R. sell Crosmans "Soft Air" Pistols and shotgun in clear plastic. However if you paint them, ILLEGAL!!!
The RCMP are clear on the matter. You can get a Restricted Weapons permit if you work for a Museum, are a registered collecter, work as an effects artist in film and need to handle restricted weapons as part of your duty's. But there is a lot of red tape and be prepaired to have your entire backgound scruitinized.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

OK, true story happened locally at 2PM EST on March, 23, 2005 ( just so when saomeone resurrects this thread in 6 months ) Call comes in to 911 center, of man withhandgun near local high school - police respond - man enters school goes to office and inquires about job, office staff refer him tot he district office in another building - man exits school, confronted by police officer in parking lot - man has weapon in hand - officer orders man to drop weapon twice, man does not drop weapon, moves weapon in threatening manner - officer fires two shotgun rounds - man dies at hospital
Weapon was an air pistol - man was 51 Years old.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

You want to hear a true story, back in the '04 election. Some guy was walking around Boston with an airsoft AK-47 and a sign that said "terrorist for Kerry" and was almost arrested cause they thought it was real... hey, just an interesting story.

Some places mail you airsoft without the red tip, this doens't mean that your state says that that is legal. Just means some idiot forgot the red tip. And yes, if you walk around public with an airsoft and the police don't get some heads up on your production, you can get arrested.
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

My little story about the dangers about using replica wepons and gurrella film-making.
Last year a low-budget film crew were filming a store robbery inside a local convienance store. Someone passing by had seen the gunman at the counter but didn't see the cameraman. Local police were called. The script called for the gunman to rush out the door, right into the waiting cops responding to the call. Cops with guns drawn. Fortunately the actor had the presence of mind to drop the gun and surrender.
The film crew was charged under a number of offences.
Lesson to be learned? Make sure you have people around making it obvious that a film is being shot. What the film crew was doing was illigal, but in Winnipeg there are films being shot monthly so the pressence of a "crew" (A few friends standing around looking busy) would've ensured that the cops never even knew they were there.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
theChad

Post by theChad »

(off topic but still)
as if there is another Winnipeger on this message board.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

I just got permission from the local City police here to film, showed them my painted (black) Desert Eagle airosft, showed them the red rotating light for in the car, and they signed off on all of it and didn't care.
We will be shooting this weekend.

I think as long as you get permission and approach it professionally they will be ok with it.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

BrokenDreams

Post by BrokenDreams »

dude....I just got this desart eagle airsoft gun, riped the ornge tip off and told my mom and dad i lost it...
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

I've never tried this so I'm not sure how well it would work, but if there was no blaze orange junk in your scene's background could you chroma key the orange tip to black in post-production? I came up with the idea when I was looking at weapon replicas and junk like that for the movie i'm working on.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

So long as you either know the cops or businesses you film at their should be no problem. In my state it isn't even illegal to remove the orange tips from the guns. I have a concealed weapons permit as well, so I don't really care, on the plus side though I usually have a few cops in my productions playing you guessed it cops.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Huntedoverlord, yeah, theoretically it would be possible. Practically speaking it's a pain in the butt, is going to take a LONG time to do, and will certainly end up looking fake.

Sharpie is a much better solution, if painting your gun is what you're trying to avoid.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

I just go to the local shop and buy one. no bother.
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
Asbjørn

Post by Asbjørn »

I dont know how it is where you all live, but in my neighbour town they have an airsoft field that people can rent. - Y can also rent the ASGs/ AEGs and the outfit you need if you are planning to actually fire them.
I`ve never been there myself, but I assume that it could be the safest place to use replicas, without getting arrested... (then you`ll just have to film all the sceenes with the weapons while renting the area.)
Seen trough a cats eyes, everything belongs to the cat
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

i noticed that there are non on ebay, are they illigal to sell?
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!