Sugar Glass

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Duhakii

Sugar Glass

Post by Duhakii »

Just wondering if anyone has actually managed to make this successfully ?.

First I tried the recepie on this site and I ended up with somthing that never set and resembled incredibly dense sticky golden syrup.

Determained to get somthing that would actually shatter, today I tried melting caster sugar in a pan on its own with no additional ingrediants. I made a bit of progress here as it did set and i ended up with a large sheet of hard glass type material. Perhaps a little too brittle but at 6mm thick it wasnt too bad.

Biggest problem was it was dark brown in colour all the way though, and not very transparent at all.

Any suggestions on how to make this stuff look realisitic would be aprichiated.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

ive tried many times and failed each time,
ive used ice for glass and it looked nice...
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I've melted it for like 5 minutes so maybe over a lower temperature heat, you have to have a lot of patience unlike me.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I'm back for a short stint just to say:

Yes, I've done it. Just leave it to set, not in fridge/freezer, and have PATIENCE.

It will end up being brown glass, if you want clear, I don't know how you would do it
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

What will the glass be used for?

In a film I'm doing for my Film Studies class a random gun fight takes place. To make it look as if a bullet had hit a window I just had the characters take cover and from above glass shards from a soda bottle were thrown on them. It looked quite nice. That is just an idea if that is what you plan to use it for.

I'll have the movie up sometime next week.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

You can use sugar glass for fight scenes ala breaking a bottle over some on. Or breaking a bottle on the bar. I seen a guy use a sheet of it to make a window and have someone kicked out of it.
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

I've never had any luck with this sugar glass, we came up with something else,-

A mix of gelatine ( Just gelatine, NOT with colors or flavoring. ) but using less water than it says on the package.
That stuff is pretty easy to shape/mould and it dries pretty clear. If you get it just right it'll be like brittle rubber, quite soft but it shatters well.
"These are the voyages..."