16mm Film

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SE7

16mm Film

Post by SE7 »

Last edited by SE7 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ornsack

RE: 16mm Film

Post by Ornsack »

I've used it in the past but have never been able to afford it to do anything exciting with it.

I wouldn't worry about 'switching over' to it anyway, you might as well learn your craft on digital. And remember, anyone with a camera is a film maker, even if they're not technically shooting on film ;)

It's what you do with it that counts. Anyone who's seen Bam Margeras "Haggard" will see that it's actually too easy to make 16mm look like video!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Sorry for popping up this old thread... but...

I've never seen Bam's film, BUT yes, it IS easy to make a good camera look like junk. Even taking an amazing camera, anyone can make it look horrible. It's knowledge of film that allows you to produce amazing images, no matter what the camera! Personally, I think the most important thing in cinematography is lighting. Good lighting can make the worst camera look somewhat cinematic. But use this with an amazing camera, add a great story, good acting, editing, etcetera, and you have an amazing film!

This is my opinion, anyways.

CGW
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I personally think it's a pain. With as easy as (and cheap as) digital high definition is becoming, 16mm is still a lot of work. It's a 3 person crew minimum just to effectively operate the camera. Plus, I'm too used to being able to look through the camera at the final image. I guess I'm spoiled!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I've always steared away from film for a few resions.

1. I'm cheep as hell
2. I shoot so fast and in usualy horrable lighting set up that I would just shoot terrable stuff
3. I know very little of the micanics of film.
4. Not only am I cheep I'm poor.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Shooting on film certainly isn't cheap. Plus, if you aren't sure how to shoot with film, you may end up with a ton of unusable footage! For amateur filmmaking purposes, I would say just stick with video.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Normally before i insult someone i say hehe,

No offence but... (then provide a list of cruel statements) but this time...

What a ridiculous first post - its so typical (for the rest of you to bear in mind) of the kind of trumped up twerps (gimps) who get their hands on film stock and suddenly feel they've been beautified by the cinematic pope!

So enough of the 'real' filmmaking BS, I've used film cameras from the S16mm SR2 to the Bolex and even the K3 (using the standard 16mm which i presume is the stock your talking about.) From that experience there is nothing 'real' about that in regards to filmmaking over video or HD video.

So don't think you can act like a snooty buttmunch just because your rolling of a reel of film because sadly unless its s16 to be blown to 35mm or 35mm itself its nothing but the hobby like fun of a student.

So yeah ive used 16mnd thats MY REPLY.

Honestly if i see another cravat wearing student with an archaic 16mm cam saying 'look at me im the genuine article' i think i'll puke!
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Ha ha! Well said :D

Although I was confused as to whether SE7 meant 'real film maker' as in the using real film sense, or the "Ooh look at me, I'm the real deal" sense.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
SE7

Post by SE7 »