WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Oh yeah, right. There's a fine source. :roll: lol

Not all officers painted insignia on their helmets. Only the predominant figures that had to stand out did. Most didn't want helmet insignias because it was an attractive target for enemy snipers.
Jasonrocks

Post by Jasonrocks »

Off the conversation about dangling helmet straps, I bought an american helmet a couple of week ago for 20p! 20 pence. Included liner straps, name it. But it had no insignia and it was hard plastic but a layer of paint nobody will tell the difference! Cheap or what.
Visits? That would indicate visitors!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Not all officers painted insignia on their helmets.
But the point still stands, some did.
@seanbagley
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

But have you heard lectures from every single Vietnam and WWII veteran ever?[/quote]

I never said EVERY soldier did. It was a general rule. Do i need to put the definition of "general rule" in this post also!?!?
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Actually yes, last time I checked a "rule" was something you had to abide by.
@seanbagley
spoonstudiosintl

Post by spoonstudiosintl »

http://www.sproe.com/h/helmet.html

The chinstrap itself was often left undone (placed back on the rear of the helmet) in the mistaken belief that the force of an exploding artillery shell could catch the helmet and possibly decapitate or strangle a soldier with the chinstrap. Although the interior suspension system was adjustable and was enough to keep the helmet on the soldier's head in most situations when the chinstrap was not used, there were times when a soldier was forced to hold his helmet on his head with a free hand. The commanding officer of the 29th Infantry Division required that all of his men fasten their chinstraps at all times.

There. Didn't happen uniformly everywhere.
CEO, Spoon Studios Int'l
[url]http://www.cafepress.com/spoonintl[/url]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Jasonrocks wrote:Off the conversation about dangling helmet straps, I bought an american helmet a couple of week ago for 20p! 20 pence. Included liner straps, name it. But it had no insignia and it was hard plastic but a layer of paint nobody will tell the difference! Cheap or what.
Plastic? A plastic steel pot or a modern one?
Gyro wrote:
Not all officers painted insignia on their helmets.
But the point still stands, some did.
What point? You never made a point. lol We were discussing chinstraps! :D
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

You said some didn't and then I said some did. There's my point.
@seanbagley
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

lol...I've missed a lot.
Through Vietnam, everyone wore the chinstraps! So ha! Point!
And in Korea, most of the South Korean troops had helmets with stripes painted on them. So ha! another, yet, point prooven! Shut down!

Anyways, Im working on the d-day plus 6 script. Hopefully, it will be done. I am getting a deactivated garand as well. I'll post some pics of a photo shoot we'll be doing soon (when i get them).
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What in the blazes are you talking about, tallman_house_pictures!? :lol: You did miss a lot! haha
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

tallman_house_pictures wrote:lol...I've missed a lot.
Through Vietnam, everyone wore the chinstraps! So ha! Point!
And in Korea, most of the South Korean troops had helmets with stripes painted on them. So ha! another, yet, point prooven! Shut down!
\

How do you figure we're all shut down? You are really dense huh? My uncle fought in NAm, I have talked to people in Nam, I did a presentation with a Vet from Nam!!!! They didnt fasten them because i they feared having their necks broken by an artillery or explosion near them!!!!!!! They might have been mistaken like spoon said!!! But who freakin cares?!!?! They did it anyway, and just bc you say so (!!!!!!!) doesnt mean they didnt.
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

You're all being tremendously foolish, arguing in black and white terms about obsurd details. The fact remains that there is no one way that soldiers in WWII did anything. I'm a reenactor, and while I'm not going to claim that makes me god and master of all WWII gear ever created (far from it) I have a familiarity with most US WWII gear, having come in contact with it at some point during my travels. Your stupid argument about chinstraps is over nothing, because a soldier had the perrogative to wear his chinstrap on the back of the helmet, let them dangle, or wear it under the chin as he pleased. I can only say that having been in reenactments and trying to wear the chinstrap for myself has proved uncomfortable after just 15 minutes of wearing it. Letting them dangle from the helmet is annoying and obtrusive. Putting them on the back of the helmet affords you with more comfort, but the helmet is more liable to fall off unless you have a nicely rigged liner. Gyro's picture is not inaccurate because soldiers did whatever they damn well pleased with their chinstraps; and honestly, who the f*** cares? You all have way more accuracy issues than Gyro's goddamn dangling chinstraps.

As for helmet markings, again, soldiers did what they pleased. When you're fully embroiled in combat you're going to get shot at anyway. Why don't you all make some movies rather than nitpick at a picture for a week? You're not experts at WWII, and neither am I - just stop trying to act like one and start asking questions, rather than telling people how they're wrong.
Jasonrocks

Post by Jasonrocks »

Epsilon wrote:
Jasonrocks wrote:Off the conversation about dangling helmet straps, I bought an american helmet a couple of week ago for 20p! 20 pence. Included liner straps, name it. But it had no insignia and it was hard plastic but a layer of paint nobody will tell the difference! Cheap or what.
Plastic? A plastic steel pot or a modern one?

Yes a steel pot ww2 style one. Bit like a paratrooper one I think it is. I got it for 20p, in cents I think its like 10 - 7 cents
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

haha I've never seen a plastic replica of a steel helmet. Does it have a liner too? :D Sounds like something good for stunts where you don't want to break your neck.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

DeadLogic wrote:You're all being tremendously foolish, arguing in black and white terms about obsurd details. The fact remains that there is no one way that soldiers in WWII did anything. I'm a reenactor, and while I'm not going to claim that makes me god and master of all WWII gear ever created (far from it) I have a familiarity with most US WWII gear, having come in contact with it at some point during my travels. Your stupid argument about chinstraps is over nothing, because a soldier had the perrogative to wear his chinstrap on the back of the helmet, let them dangle, or wear it under the chin as he pleased. I can only say that having been in reenactments and trying to wear the chinstrap for myself has proved uncomfortable after just 15 minutes of wearing it. Letting them dangle from the helmet is annoying and obtrusive. Putting them on the back of the helmet affords you with more comfort, but the helmet is more liable to fall off unless you have a nicely rigged liner. Gyro's picture is not inaccurate because soldiers did whatever they damn well pleased with their chinstraps; and honestly, who the f*** cares? You all have way more accuracy issues than Gyro's goddamn dangling chinstraps.

As for helmet markings, again, soldiers did what they pleased. When you're fully embroiled in combat you're going to get shot at anyway. Why don't you all make some movies rather than nitpick at a picture for a week? You're not experts at WWII, and neither am I - just stop trying to act like one and start asking questions, rather than telling people how they're wrong.
Bloody Thanks! Amen!
@seanbagley
Jasonrocks

Post by Jasonrocks »

Yes Epsilon, The pot does have liner. I found it at a boot sale, beside a banged up old car with a 20p sticker on the side of it. What a bargin, amazing what you can find at boot sales.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Darn, Deady beat me to the punch on that post. How many people here are still planning to make a WWII film anyway?
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

I have not made a film in a while, though I'm trying to retry that Burma adventure movie idea (see avatar)... Seemed like it would be a lotta fun, but a lots of stuff contributed to its failure.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

We just finished a WW2 short. I'll try to get it up soon.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Nice. Get it up!
Anyone know a source for repro tommy helmet liners? I just got 5 pots.
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Tallman, can I buy some of those pots from you? Where'd you get them? I desprately need some british MK1 or MK 2 pots.
Jasonrocks

Post by Jasonrocks »

Deadlogic, I can get tommy helmets from my local fancy dress shop. They sell plastic ones. With a strap too
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

where can you get cheap outfits? any websites?
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

www.cheaperthandirt.com

Epsilon, I want to see your short!
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

windog wrote:where can you get cheap outfits? any websites?

I can speak with relative certainty that there's no quick fix, no easy way to get the stuff you want. There's no way you're going to fund a good war movie with 50$, and no place sells complete paratrooper uniforms for 10$. There's no such thing as cheap replica garands, thompsons, K98s, or anything like that. Your best bet is to come up with the money necessary to buy decent quality props.