Protecting Crew While Shooting Blank Firing Gun Into Camera

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Protecting Crew While Shooting Blank Firing Gun Into Camera

Post by slimdog55 »

Whenever professionals have a shot in their movie when the character is shooting a blank firing gun into the camera, they put a protective glass in front of the camera to protect the crew. They also use this protective glass whenever pyrotechnics ignite close to the camera and crew. I'm thinking of shooting my blank firing gun into the my camera in one of my next movies. This would also help me whenever I ignite squibs. So here's my questions.

1. What protective glass should I buy, Lexan (aka Polycarbonate) or Plexiglas (aka Acrylic)?

I'm thinking of getting the Lexan beucase I think more professionals use this more then Plexiglas and it's stronger than Plexiglas. What do you think?

I'm thinking a 6 X 6 Foot sheet will be big enough. (I'm 5 Ft. 6 In.) The average male height is 5 Ft. 9 In. So I'm guessing this would be big enough.

2. How much will a 6 X 6 Foot sheet of Lexan glass weigh? I'm guessing somewhere around 100 lbs.

3. How think should the glass be? I think 1/4 In. would do just fine.

4. What would I make to hold the glass in place in front of the camera?

5. So I would put the cameras lens right up to the glass? Would this produce a reflection?

6. Has anyone had any expirence with Lexan glass or Plexiglas? Any tips you could give me?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Protecting Crew While Shooting Blank Firing Gun Into Cam

Post by UFProductions »

1. Lexan, definately, unless you can get Plexiglass in 1" thicknesses.
2. Try upwards of 300 lbs.
3. I'd do half inch, I'm not even sure if they bother making Lexan in 1/4".
4. Instead of a 6x6' wall of Lexan, which will cost painful amounts, I would build a good solid wall out of 2x4's and very thick plywood, then set a small Lexan window into it, this way you can easily replace it if the Lexan gets scratched or damaged.
5. Drape a big back cloth over the whole thing, camera included. If there's no light, nothing can reflect. Also, angle it to 45 degrees to elimate any reflections from the light of the blast.
6. Make sure you leave the protective paper on when you cut and install the Lexan, leave it on until the very last moment to protect it. The dust from cutting it is toxic, wear a mask. Other than that it's basically like working with very hard, transparent wood.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It's not necessarily to protect the crew as much as the camera itself. The crew can step away from the danger area. But a blank discharge would obliterate the lens and possibly the body of the camera!
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

You could also do this without protection, what you would need to do is wither have someone hold the camera or place it on tripod, move the camera as far away as possible then zoom iin on the person shooting. Then fire.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Or a piece of plexiglass would work.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

DEDFX wrote: Or a piece of plexiglass would work.
Try again, using Plexiglass will only result in a false sense of security and a totaled camera (and possibly cameraman). Plexi is simply not rated for impact or fire, Lexan is. NPMAX probably has the best solution, zooming in will also narrow the depth of field, making the explosion look bigger and the characters in the scene (if there are any) look closer, without actually being in harms way.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Unless it was over 10 yards away, I would have some sort of protection for the camera. There's still a chance you could pepper the lens from the gunpowder. That would be a b*** to clean off without scratching the lens.

Plexiglass would work, or not, depending on what you got!
townshend88

Post by townshend88 »

Where exactly did you get these blank firing guns?
"Can the boy tell time?"
"Oh my Lord, no."
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

eBay
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

detonationfilms.com have plans for making a safety camera enclosurre (A.K.A. Dangercam)

UFProductions couldn´t have said it better. A small tile of plexy or lexan in a wood pannel is waaaaaaay cheaper than buying a 6x6 piece, common sence here buddy!!!!!. Remmenber also the black clothes and to aim the glass at 45 degrees between the gun and the camera...to avoid any reflections.....
Forum status should be determined by QUALITY of posts, not by quantity.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Oh yes, I forgot about the DangerCam, also a very good alternative, and with a bit of work you can have it double as a really great underwater housing.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

If you want to use plexiglass, there are many different grades. Some are only good for keeping mice in a cage, while some will stop a magnum bullet.