Raining When It's Not

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Of course, I would need about 1000M of firehose for that to work, but it would be a good spot to fill up tanks of water.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
rANDOM_cAT

Post by rANDOM_cAT »

Here's how i would do it:

since its a torrential downpour you cant use the drywall with holes in it, and since youre in the middle of the woods you can use sprinklers, instead, get a couple, pesticide/fertilizer sprayers (the kind with a tank) and do up close shots of each of the soldiers, that way you dont need that many, and its easier to do. For wide shots, if you want a copy of After Effects, email me (cowboyspiff@hotmail.com) id be glad to share my copy.

good luck.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Hmmm... good idea's, and thanks for the After Effects offer, but I've figured out how I'm gonna do it now. For those who want to know: I've got a 150L ex-fuel tank (from a semi trailer, thouroughly rinsed out of course) conected to an air compressor. The air compressor line runs in at the top of the tank, and a second line runs out the bottom. That line connects to two 15 foot sections of PVC pipe, with small holes drilled in it every 5 cm with their ends capped off. The compressor forces the water up the second tube and into the PVC sprinklers, which are suspended from tree's overhead. And the whole system is silent, once the compressor is pressurized and switched off of course.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
SickPeople

Post by SickPeople »

In iMovie editor program there's a rain plugin. It looks very real!:)
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

Go CG, you'll need it someday anyway. The editing software i use cost me less than $15... and it does pretty much everything i need. Magix Video Deluxe
"These are the voyages..."
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

This was a year ago, long filmed, edited and forgotten, and I'm perfectly content relying on old school techniques and no CG stuff, but thanks anyway.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

Ok ... old school is fine with me :roll:

First thing i'd do is spread water out over the ground so that it appears dark and wet, closer to the camera i might even try to make some fake puddles with a plastic bag to keep the water in. Then i'd make all of my actors completely wet.

You only need water to spray close to the camera, right on top of your actors and the puddles, that makes it look realistic. As for the water problems, borrow an old pickup ( or if you have one ) and water proof the back and fill it with water.

If you need a pump then a small ... and cheap ... pond pump powered by the car battery should do.

As long as you can find/borrow those things it wouldnt even cost anything.

Am i overdoing it again ... ??? :lol: :roll:
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

If your filming out in the woods, you could bring gallons upon gallons of water, put them in garden watering cans(the kind that, when you pour the water out, it sort of simulates a small rainstorm), Have some buddys climb up trees and pour away.
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

you can also use white tempera paint....
Forum status should be determined by QUALITY of posts, not by quantity.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Okay, If you used CG it would look terrible because it doesn't look as real as the real thing and when you see the people, water would be dripping from them, they would not be dry. And don't say pour water on them and roll because you would not see the water hitting them and if it were real they would be constantly dripping. Just wait for it to rain outside.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Take note of the dates people, and the other posts...
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.