My first post, questions about filler shots

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

CanAus

My first post, questions about filler shots

Post by CanAus »

This is my first post and I hope I am putting it in the right forum. My apologies if it isn't.

Disclaimer out of the way, here is the question.

When making movies there are extra scenes and I hear are done by extras or stand-ins. An example of this would be when we see the "star" walk up to the fridge, open it, look inside for a while then and reach into it to grab a cold stubbie (beer). The next scene shows a closeup of just a hand grab the beer, remove it and the fridge closeing. Then the next scene shows the actor walking away with the cold stubby in his hand.

My question is, what is the name of the "shot" where we only see someones hand grab the beer?

Thank you to everyone who replies.
I may be young but I am not naive.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: My first post, questions about filler shots

Post by Epsilon »

I suppose it's just a close-up. I didn't think there was a special name for that type of shot sequence!
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: My first post, questions about filler shots

Post by 2nd_Recon »

is there any particular reason you need to know what it's called?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
CanAus

Re: RE: My first post, questions about filler shots

Post by CanAus »

2nd_Recon wrote:is there any particular reason you need to know what it's called?
Mostly curiousity but also I was explaining to someone the other day how the little un-noticed things are what makes a home movie more enjoyable to watch and I was using this as an example. I said that they could create these even after the fact and slip them in. When I was explaining this, though, I realised I did not know what the technical term was. Of course, I like to sound educated in these matters.

I looked on the net for hours but I am either unable to phrase it right in Google or there just isn't a name for it.

:)

Thanks for everyones reply.
theChad

RE: Re: RE: My first post, questions about filler shots

Post by theChad »

Techincally I think it may be called an Insert.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
padawanNick

RE: Re: RE: My first post, questions about filler shots

Post by padawanNick »

Usually, a shot like that would be planned, storyboarded and done on set with the star during the planned shoot.
If it was "forgoten" or done later, it's often called a "pick up" shot (not because the character is picking up something, but rather because an extra shoot was scheduled to "pick up" the missing shots)
CanAus

Post by CanAus »

Thanks guys for all your replies. I think what I was thinking about was a P.O.V. (point of view) or Subjective Shot.

Yes padawanNick, they should be planned but my friend and I are still learning so I am sure we will be doing alot of "pickup" shots. :) . Thanks for adding to my vocubulary.

Thanks again everyone. I just found this website and I will be busy for weeks reading all the great information here. WOW!

2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

this is a veritable plethora of info here.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.