I have no idea what this effect is callled, but...

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

I have no idea what this effect is callled, but...

Post by crossfire »

but... i am interested if anyone knows how to do it. Its the effect where some on is walking down a street and everyone is walking in a different direction, the angle is 90 degrees from the side, and it seems like everyone is walking by really fast, and the main character is staying smooth while the other people are almost not there and walking fast and very little attention is paid to them. (i may not have made much sense, please forgive i am very tired, but an example of this effect is in the movie Stander, where Andre Stander is walkign towards his first robbery) i am sure this has been done in a thousand otehr movies but that is the only one i can remember.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: I have no idea what this effect is callled, but...

Post by DEDFX »

You use green screen I think... nothing special. And have the crowd of people's footage quickened.
Scott_Talbot

Post by Scott_Talbot »

or have the guy move really slow and then speed it up?
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

no that wont create the fluid motion you would get with faking it... youd get some weird marylin manson thing which looks real cool look at the new white stripes clip...

what you could do is if you got a locked down shot. shoot a clean backplate (absolutely no moving objects people cars heck even monkeys) but consider things like trees also stuff that moves beyond your control. record a pass of your actor walking through your back plate... when you get back to editing you can use a difference matte or mokey or something to generatte a matte to use.

then you film some people walking in and out of the plate for use as background... then you will need to film people walking in foreground and use a simular method as above to generate mattes for them too.

when the background footage and matted actor and foreground elements are combined you should get what your looking for.. but youll need to retime some stuff and when you do that and motion blur is involved it will be quite hard to matte out that sort of stuff without some hardcore roto or greenscreen
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

thx, so its something rather simple, i would of guessed it to be quite complicated
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

They do a lot of this stuff in the soppy movies some of my friends watch... when people meet each-other in airport termainals for the first time in ages and they just stand there whilst people rush about all around them.

Doing it slowly and speeding it us has positives and negatives...

negatives: 1)You can often tell what's been done which can sometimes detract from viewing pleasure but with well-practiced actors and a decent background music this can be compensated for if you have a forgiving audience (i've seen professional movies adopt this approach)

positives:1)no green-screen issues... halos, green spill, lighting changes, heart attack etc.
2) you can get the people moving behind to move in front of the person moving which adds to the effect of everything happening AROUND him and not just behind him

you can often get a jerky movement if you slow the action down too much. However, if you're prepared to try it several times with patient actors you'll get there.

I would go for the latter option as jerkyness in the movement of the person wouldn't look so bad to me as the horrible halo they'll have if you superimpose them! (I don't care what you say, adobe's chroma-keying isn't that good
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

no its not the effect where someone is standing still and everyone is rushing by around him, to show that he feels alone, its a very subtle effect where imagine a person walking down a sidewalk and all other people around the main character seem to be zooming by but they are walking at normal speed, they are slightly blurred and also there is a slightly noticeable swoosh sound
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Truck the camera forward while zooming out. :)
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

haha im pretty sure hes not shooting vertigo... anywho why dont you take a look at the end of "Queen of the Damned" see if that is what you mean
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

i dont have it but i think i know a friend who does and ill see ya because its hard to explain to those who do not know what it is