LCD -vs- CRT

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

LCD -vs- CRT

Post by ipon70 »

so I know this has been ask many times before. but I need help. I have a 19" KDS Avitron that is finally dying. It uses the Sony Trinitron tube so its has a great picture, but focus is going out. So here is my question for the group and hopefully someone who has actually compared side by side can help.
I want a new monitor at least 19" that will be used for gaming and video editing. I want an acurate picture for the video editing part. I am willing to spend up to around $1000.

Thanks for the help.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: LCD -vs- CRT

Post by UFProductions »

My current setup is with a Samsung SyncMaster 915N LCD monitor. It is oh so sexy, the picture is very true, and the refreesh rate is exeptionally fast for the price range. Only gripe I have with it is colour distrotion when viewed from extreme side angles, but that's no problem for one person looking at it. They run around $450-$500 CAD.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I am now running a 19" BENQ LCD and love it. I use apps and plays games on it to perfection. Under $450 Aussie also. It also has a 0 dead pixel warranty for 3 years i think. I would not turn back now. CRT is becoming extinct anyway with less companies making and supporting them. An LCD for a LAN is great. No more do you have to lug a huge CRT monitor around. Be careful looking after the LCD screen though and clean it as directed.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

If your looking to do serious gaming, then go with CRT, LCD moniters give worse picture and tend to have a lower resolution. Although size does matter at times.
Grant

Post by Grant »

i debate that i game at the highest res my card will permit etc and have found no issues with colour or ghosting. Mine is a 12ms screen and i play Battefield 2 at full everything seemlessly. I think early LCDs had gaming problems but i do not see them now. Remember the screen size of an LCD monitor is true and 19" is really 19" as apposed to CRT
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I play BF2 all the way as well, but play on LCD and then CRT you'll se a major difference.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Grant and UFP.

Have you seen any major differences between what you edited and what you got on an actual TV screen?? Meaning.."man I thought that was brighter, or...what the hell...that was purple when I was editing it".. Stuff like that??

BTW the one I am looking at is this one

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/Prod ... sting.aspx

What do you guys think..it looks pretty good on specs, and I think it would be nice for editing, but I wasn't sure because of (precieved) color issues of LCD
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I use Nview Display (a free program supported by Nvidea video-cards, ATI has an eqivalent) settings, with three different profiles, one for text and webpages, one for gaming and one for video editing. When set to my edit profile the colours and brightnesses come out very true, it also helps that I hook up a TV to the S-Video port on my vid-card. High end CRT's may outperform LCD's in some respects, if you look at specs alone, but looking at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory with the effects on high makes a pretty damn stong argument for LCD's.

EDIT: That monitor does look like 24" of sexy (yes, that was really gross), but some of the specs just don't compare to some of the higher end brands, like Sony, LG and Benq.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

So are you thinking the Benq or Samsung are a better choice?? And if so what part am I not seeing on it, that I need to look for to make sure the specs are good. I like Sony so I wouldn't mind a recomendation there either.

Thanks for the help guys
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Mostly look for a speedy refresh rate, and a very high max resolution. For the price, I would rather buy two 19" monitors, than one 24".
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Go with that Dell LCD screen. Have you noticed the resolution? 1920x1200. If you ever go HD, this monitor will display your 1080i/p video natively. But make sure you get a good graphics card that has a resolution that high. (1920x1080) Also, don't pay $1,199.00 for it. You can get one brand new off eBay for around $800. (But shipping will be pretty expensive.)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... arch&fgtp=
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Ok, thanks for all the help guys.

I can get the monitor for $825 from Dell direct and no shipping charge, so that is why I was leaning that way. It looked like it had pretty good specs, but I didn't want to purchase it and go"ah cr** it doesn't do this"...

As far as the graphics card, I am in the middle of a PC build right now, so I will be getting 2 Asus Geforce 7800 GTX Top graphics cards and running them SLI (gaming :) ), and then I came across a nice audio card from Creative called the Sound Blaster Elite Pro, it has a break out box with mic inputs on it, that should come in handy when I need seperate audio recording, plus it has 64 megs of onboard audio memory to help the sound. And all of this was going to be running on a Abit Fatal1ty motherboard with a dual core 64 bit AMD proc and 4 gigs of memory. So I am building as much as I can afford right now, so it will last me for a little while. Hopefully :? only problem is its obsolete when you open the box..lol
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

I have an iiyama Pro lite 38b 15" TFT LCD screen and i hate it.
Its small, ugly and the screen turns light blue every 15th second. Its like there is some light blue tint over the screen or something. GAH! i wanna get a new screen.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yeah, for that price, running on SLI you will be mighty pleased. $850 total for a widescreen monitor looks good in my books.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Grant

Post by Grant »

LCDs are surely gifts from the Gods themselves
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

CRT All the way unless you spend 2000+ on a good LCD...

... i've had quite a few CRTs and LCDs and CRTs just give a much nicer image.
But if you plan on spending 10hrs+ staring at a screen full of code or other text then go for LCD, easier on the eyes...
"These are the voyages..."
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

I don't know if it was said: Make sure the refresh rate is 16.65 milliseconds or lower! If it is higher, it won't be able to display NTSC correctly. Recently there are very fast LCD displays, with 4 or less ms. Also, if you buy a resolution that is higher or the same as HDV (1440), you'll be able to watch it in true pixel quality. It will also play current MiniDV properly, using 2*2 screen-pixel per source-pixel.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

So basically below 16 ms I will be ok with NTSC video editing. I understand they have an issue with color. Oh and I found out the technical reason behind the color problem. So for those of you that don't know here it is. The reason you have a color level issues on LCD vs CRT is that LCD can't do pure black, meaning they dont do what a crt does for black and that is turn off the pixel, they leave it on because turn on time for an LCD is around 40 ms, which will create blur if they turn it off, so they just illuminate it slightly and leave it on. But in doing that its not pure black. Then on the white or brightness side, the LCD is upto 3 times as bright as a CRT so the white is much brighter on them then a crt, so if you compensate for that on a LCD it will really appear muted on a crt or tv. Anyway hope that helps someone...and myself...lol.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

Grant

Post by Grant »

i love my LCD, so huge, so detailed, so me!!!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Well, I just spent 10 hours (no hyperbole) straight editing a school project, and am not blind, so thats one huge plus for the LCD side. With my old CRT I would feel as if someone attempted to copulate with my eye socket if I spent more than two solid hours staring at the screen.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Oh hey guys don't get me wrong...I love LCD, work on it allday at work and think they are great. But editing...not so sure... I wish I wish I wish in the worst way they could figure out the deal with those suckers, but for right now, I think my dual solution idea I came up with yesterday is gonna be it.

So here is what I am going to do, use the dvi output to go to the Dell 24" LCD, use the other output to go to a normal 27" TV so I can see actual output from it.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com

Grant

Post by Grant »

ipon I work with LCDs all day video editing, 2D/3D animating, digital editing, Microsoft Officing, gaming etc and woudl not turn back
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

It is best to edit with a TV too, so yeah; go for it! I wish I had that kind of money right now.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

I think you need to test your video on a range of display devices, including a common cheap and small TV to make sure it's still looking ok. There are some things yu should put on your checklist:

-CRT Screens tend to overblend titles with strong contrast, While white titles on a black background are still readable on a LCD screen, a CRT will smear the contours drasticly, making small text unreadable. So grey on black may be a better choice.

-most CRT TVs will cut off the outter border, about 10% of the width and height by default (both sides, left+ right that's up to 20%!). So a common TV may cut off important things of your story. LCD Screens usually show the whole PAL or NTSC picture. Your film need to be good for both.

-Watching your video from the Editor isn't the same as watching it from a DVD on a real TV/AV device. Most Editors play their preview in 30 HZ Progressive mode, also on a second CRT Monitor. (Well not sure of high end apps, maybe somebody can name some Editors that are capable of displaying truely interlaced previews on a Dual System). So after all you will need to burn a DVD and watch the movie to make interlacing artefacts visible at all (like swapped BFF/TFF).

-Common cheap CRT TVs have some more special behaviours. EG. horizontal bars patters or Silk will create an insanely flickering distortion. White bars at the top of the picture (eg. bright sky) will distort the upper part of the picture. Etc.

All in all I'd say: use both, LCD to keep your radiation low and protect your eyes, CRT TV at least to check the final DVD.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Grant wrote:ipon I work with LCDs all day video editing, 2D/3D animating, digital editing, Microsoft Officing, gaming etc and woudl not turn back
Hmmmmm, well that is interesting. I have just talked to so many people that have giving me the other opinion, but maybe its cuz they'z pooor. Like Kenny's family...ROFL (southpark).

Anyway I think the 24" LCD with the 27 inch tv will work out good.

Thank you to everyone for your input and help.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com