getting hit with a Semi

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

damien666

getting hit with a Semi

Post by damien666 »

Howdy all!
I was ondering if anyone had an idea on how to effectively make it look like an actor is being hit at full tilt with a semi truck and trailer? I would like to show the actor standing on the road - and then have a semi careen into the shot and dissintegrate our poor victim. I might be able to talk my brother in law into standing on a road for me and then just sneak the one-time vehicular stunt on him, but my sister and his kids would probably not be very appreciative of that -
thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions..
If it helps, this will be shot on digital and edited on a mac... thanks
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: getting schmucked with a Semi

Post by DEDFX »

go to search, then type in how was this achieved. 5 posts ago everyone was talking about this.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

The biggest problem, as I see it, is getting ahold of a semi truck, but that's just my take on it.

Anyway, like DEDFX said, see this thread for advice on pulling off the impact: http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8552
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
puje

Post by puje »

Isn't that in the orginal Texas Chainsaw? Try watching it.
But I guess something soft shaped like a body, filled with blood and guts world be the way to go..?
[url]http://www.bigcow.dk[/url]
[img]http://www.bigcow.dk/images/boardlogo.GIF[/img]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

dont know what a semi truck is, guessing its like a a big Mac/dumptruck like the one in TCM, only problem would be the shadow from the truck, other than that its easy.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

I'm starting to wonder if this person will ever come back to the forum.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: getting schmucked with a Semi

Post by maj_barnes »

DEDFX wrote:dont know what a semi truck is, guessing its like a a big Mac/dumptruck like the one in TCM, only problem would be the shadow from the truck, other than that its easy.
A semi truck is a tractor-trailer. Those big trucks that have the trailer on the back that haul stuff.

But I think the stuff on NCC is much easier to do than getting a fake body filled with blood.

But for the semi coming, if it doesn't have to be in a set place (like a neighborhood or something) just go out on the highway and set a camera up there and wait for a semi to go by.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: getting schmucked with a Semi

Post by pdj »

puje's right with his original TCM reference.. there's a really good semi trailor scene in the last moments of the film.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: getting schmucked with a Semi

Post by DEDFX »

They used a dummy, no CG back then. Only problem is seeing the dummy on the ground, sometime the look unlifelike so you replace that with a person.
damien666

Post by damien666 »

Hey all!
Thanks for the replies. I built a dummy out of upolstry foam and put clothes on it to match the victim, but it doesn't seem like any of the truckers around here want to destroy their precious big rig for my little movie - those elitist toothless bastards (Imagine one of those annoying little smiley happy face icons here - perhaps it is winking, or laughing maniacally)
I guess I will try something similar to the car gag a few posts back with a computer program.. Thanks again for the replies and I just gotta say - I'm so glad I came upon this forum - lots of cool ideas and techniques. Cyber talk at y'all later!
Damien666