Idea for you guys

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Idea for you guys

Post by aaronv2 »

I had an idea of a short clip Im going to do and I was going to offer it to you guys too so that we could compare and colaborate...

Okay heres the idea... get in a car aim your camera out the window and film some stuff you think is interesting use whatever camera angles and blah that you like. The only thing is all the shots need to be done from a car. Then you just edit the footage together to a song. The thing is instead of doing it to your favorite song choose a song that changes alot in speed and direction to make your little clip interesting.

The thing is ive been in a car alot of times just staring out the window and a song will come along that fits the mood and motion of the car perfectly. An example is Classical Gas that song is perfect for moving in a car.

When your done you choose a different song and edit to it again. Just burn a pile of songs to a CD and test them out driving its really interesting.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Idea for you guys

Post by UFProductions »

Does the camera have to stay inside the car, or can it be attached to the outside or held out too? I like this idea a lot, I was thinking about doing a car chase on my way to school today: Goretex Weather Report by Shining comes to mind.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

next time i'm in a car i'll give it a go,

songs wise i'll have to have a good think, it's difficult, depends on your mood at the time i suppose
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

PLease post all your guys work.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Oh God I can't even count how many times I've done this... guess I should dig through some stuff and post one of my favorites...
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

LoL

That will be fun. I will see if i can attempt that
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I'll give it a shot once finals are out.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Finals are over for me and I'm home... I might give it a go.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Its nothing special just a fun thing to do. To show you that you can edit the same thing in 10 different ways and the rythym of music can help you out. You can point the camera outside the window do whatever you like but I was hoping more to concentrate on movment of stuff. so interesting things like how a streetsign moves as you change perspective at that speed. I haven't been driving anywhere but im going shopping for a tablet today so Ill start shooting then.
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Ive thought about/wanted to do that for a long time. Now I think I will. Driving through a busy downtown city area would be the most interesting.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Film school with Aaron hehe,

Well yep the kuleshov effect, is very much like this, hehe

Kuleshov, a russian filmmaker experimented with things like montage early on.

I suggest you check his experiments out to see, pretty much what you dudes are attempting here.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

lol oh man it rained today.... can anyone say pull focus to raindrops on glass? lol how film school is that?

Lawriejaffa somebodys gotta teach these kids how to use their little handycams instead of waving it around in their backyard.
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yeah, but you can't teach some of them aaron to be humble, to drop the attitude or a host of other inherent problems that are even worse than handycam-ness hehe.

One filmmaker i talked to said, that with digital filmmaking, (or with using camcorders) people feel tempted to 'hoover' their shots, (yeah like the hoover hehe if that expression makes sense) rather than set up shots etc.

I mean im not all that great or anything, but what annoys me most is when would be filmmakers try to recreate the show they saw last night on sky-1 or (FOX) etc etc, i find lack of imagination particularly grim - anyway now im ranting!
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

Lawriejaffa wrote: people feel tempted to 'hoover' their shots,
not a clue what you mean
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Its like doing the hoovering in the house, yeah, its a loose expression for the way people just shoot everything with a video cam, as if they were hoovering around a room, just like their shooting everything, without structure, or composition or planning. Its often a joke related to things like certain documentary styles of filmaking where the cameras wobbling everywhere, but without much point.

If you still don't have a clue then i can't save you!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Hovering?

I was trying to figure out what Herbert Hoover did that could be translated into something about filmmaking.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well I just got back from driving around the city with a camera setup in the passenger seat. That was interesting. I even got interrogated by a security guard. :P

Now I get to see if I got anything good at all...