The Board

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Moriarty

The Board

Post by Moriarty »

Hey guys,

decided to put up an old video that I forgot I had! The Board is a short tale about a man who realises that married life isn't the way for him. Frustrated of the life he could have had, he finds himself playing a board game with his wife, Melanie. Things start to go awry when he realises that he words he puts down on the board start to happen in the real world.

Hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Zn9QzUVCo
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: The Board

Post by DarkElastic »

Well done. What great Narration. Anthony Self should be congratulated for great writing in this film. I really enjoyed it. It had class about it, like the Football Factory. Good British black humour within a bad situation. The twist was foreseeable, but it kept you wondering how it would happen.

The Good:

Script
Acting
Editing
Good variations in shots
Swearing cleverly placed
Very Good Idea
The sound and level of sound of the narration was very good.
The scrabble titles were very good.

The bad:

The camera was knocked in one of the shots.
The live sound was quieter than the Narration sound - when Melanie comes off the phone.
Not you’re own music.

Overall Excellent. I really enjoyed this idea, and I think the dialogue was well written. 9 out of 10. Well done.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: The Board

Post by youngfilmmaker »

It was okay...
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: The Board

Post by DarkElastic »

youngfilmmaker wrote:It was okay...
What a review... You've really helped Moriarty out with that statement!
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

A very nice idea well executed,great titles and neatly edited. My only real comment was that they appeared too young to have been together that long...though I am an old git, so don't take that observation too badly!
I have to agree with Dark Elastic re: The sound balance, but other than that, great, keep up the good work.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Cheers for the comments guys,

I know what you mean, when she comes in it seems a little quite...at the time I had another actress play the role of Melanie - but she bailed out at te last minute. The girl I've got here does an okay job - but I think she was Portugese or something...her english didn't translate as well onscreen as off...

I get what you're saying about the age - maybe I should have just had them being boyfriend and girlfriend...ah well - instead of trying to kill her, he could've just dumped her I guess...
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Nice one, Moriarty. I really admire anyone who can take an idea and translate that into a film. To actually go through the pains and angst of
shooting, Directing and Post production to have a finished movie is not to be sniffed at.
I know what you mean about cast having last minute change of mind. We had a go at "Straight 8" this year and the lead dropped out right at the last minute. My youngest son stood in and did a great job, but I mis-cast him badly (He was supposed to be a young adult) which cost us. Straight 8 is a great discipline and very scary! If you're interested, have a look at (www.straight8.net/straight8b.htm)