"In The Clear" (Iraqi Short Film) Teaser Trailer

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: "In The Clear" (Iraqi Short Film) Teaser Trail

Post by Gyro »

Hey thanks, we've got an intense shooting schedule ahead of us. Next Monday, Thursday and Friday. Hopefully we can get the majority of it finished.
@seanbagley
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

This entire thing looks damn near perfect. It was edited well, the cinematography looks amazing, and the music fit very well. GOD I need a GL2 already - I'm sick of saving for college :P

And if there are bloodstains on the walls, with bullet casings everywhere, this sounds like something you should take to the police.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

lol...
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
joe

Post by joe »

Personally, I'm going to have to agree with Freed on this. Nothing in the teaser actually seems to tease the viewer except for the costumes. Which, by the way look really nice, but by no means make up a good movie. The car and truck in this really threw me off. It just seems hokey to me that Iraqis drive red Toyota trucks and white cars in the desert. I understand that it would've been tough to get other vehicles, but I'm just commenting on the accuracy of the decision. And, I am completely ignorant on what they do drive in the Iraqi desert, so if I'm wrong, please correct me. The cinematography is hard to tell because the small amount of footage, but I think that with war films these days, you are almost trapped because everything seems to be filmed documentary/Saving Private Ryan style. Some of the shots seemed a bit blown out, but I realize that they would most likely be very bright because of the reflection of the sun on the sand. Overall, the costumes seemed to be the trophy of this trailer. Cheers on getting out there and filming though! Its hard to get motivated sometimes. Good luck with the rest of the production.

Joe
Lemonus
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

The Iraqis he is depicting are insurgents, they would only drive civilian trucks/cars as they are less noticable, as for the brands, you get the toyota pickup everywhere else, and a white car is a white car, not exactly rare. After looking at it again, and reading joes post, I agree with the documentary film comment, but a film with a cast of this scale would look foolish with too epic a style of photography (in my very humble opinion)
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

joe wrote: Its hard to get motivated sometimes.
Not really...

Thanks for the comments though everyone.
@seanbagley
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Well, everyone else has already said it. So I'll just say. Looks great. Cant wait.
(I just realized that rhymed and sounded pretty gay, oh well)
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks, again. I'm glad most of you enjoyed it. We're shooting again on Monday.
@seanbagley
joe

Post by joe »

Gyro wrote:
joe wrote: Its hard to get motivated sometimes.
Not really...

Thanks for the comments though everyone.
Well, if you haven't reached this point in your filmmaker career yet, don't worry, it will come. Pessimistic realism.

Joe
Lemonus
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well, if you haven't reached this point in your filmmaker career yet, don't worry, it will come. Pessimistic realism.

damn right brother!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

It's only hard to get yourself motivated if you have a badass case of writer's block :P

Other than that, getting excited about making movies is pretty much gravy ;)
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

All the shots in it look crazy good. Music fit perfectly. I overall loved it.

My only porblem with it was the black inbetween fades was much too long, and the titles in the beginning were abit boring (just thinking of some footage thrown in there somewhere).

I showed it to one of my friends. He's not really into war movies as much: but his feedback was, the trailer really didn't excite him too much. "Just another war flick."
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

It was filmed with a GL1, just thought I would through that out there.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

throw it out there, to show off, yeh thnx
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Well see, when I first watched it my gut reaction was "They really need to open up the photography, use that scenery to its full advantage," but then I realized that they're filming in the Salt Flats, which is pretty much surrounded by mountain ranges - not many mountains of those size in Iraq, so you need some way to cut them out. Documentary style really helps to that end, even if it does limit what you can and can't do in terms of photography.

And insurgent groups do use old pickups like that - they just use what they can get. And I'm also assuming that the movie is chronicling (sp?) a low-key special ops mission, hence the compact car - you wouldn't want to advertise yourself by driving around in enemy territory in a tan Humvee, now would you? Might as well paint a gigantic sign on the side that says "Stick an IED in front me."
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

And I'm also assuming that the movie is chronicling (sp?) a low-key special ops mission, hence the compact car -
I thought it was something they stole and used, like in the movie Navy SEALs. Since like in the beginning of the trailer they were running around, so later they'd get it. I don't know. :P
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

I thought the old pickup looked great, and worked awesome, especially the way your framed the shot...but I didnt really understand the Marines in the car, also. Unless something went wrong with the insertion or extraction I cant see why they would steal it...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Unless something went wrong with the insertion or extraction I cant see why they would steal it...
It's a movie: of course something would go wrong. :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

And the winner goes to Sgt. Padrino, he got it right, that's the use of the car in that scene. But, just wait, there's plently of truck stealing later on. By the way, we shot a bunch more today, I'm thinking about putting together a theatrical trailer with more footage, yeah?
@seanbagley
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

lol well this was cheesy but maybe good! Its all Navy Seals the movie tho right! My college pals laughed during this cos the bad guys looked like they were shredders foot soldiers, and what music were u ripping off there! Hey the location looks cool, the story is pulp cheese tho! Costumes for the american soldiers looked cool but u got many of em' cos if it just 2 guys and a pilot, then ur gonna look like a wannabe! Anyway so far i give it 5/10 on the kitty scale!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Couple of things that I mentioned prior to your comment, Kitty. The insurgent costumes are indeed what an insurgent looks like, try looking up a picture on google. Thanks. Secondly, as a mentioned before, the basic concept of the story is based upon a true account/story, with more complecations. As far as costumes, in order to look authentic, we spent about $300 on each costume set, and due to the fact that we're high school students, we don't have the money to spend on 20 costumes. Sorry. Finally the music is from Behind Enemy Lines by Don Davis, as mentioned earlier, the music was not released on soundtrack, or for sale and is for free download on Don Davis' official website, therefore, availible to trailers. Which, I must add, how many films use their own soundtrack for the teaser trailer?

Thanks for the bashing, it was all in good fun, and I hope you succeed in your college activities, could it be film?
@seanbagley
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Nah they don't really look like iraqi rebel guys? Not to me more like the footsoldiers from the teenage ninja turtles lol but hey u can work it out right? Based on a true story? Doubt id believe it in yer film mate but the us soliders look hot! (the costumes for them are cool) but the others arent... ;)

I ain't bashing man don't cry about it, :( ur still at highschool? Well for teen stuff this is cool! But get older guys to play stuff and it will totally be cool!
I do film studies but it aint practical, its more to do with journo ;) With more time ill give u more detailed idea of what i think can fix your film :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Difference?
@seanbagley
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

You do realize that 25, in the military, is considered old? Most soldiers serving in Iraq are between 18 and 21, so high schoolers portraying Marines isn't that far off the mark.

Some pictures for you.

Don't look that old, now do they?

Iraqi insurgents:

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Now, my Marines don't look too different, do they?
@seanbagley