Old special effect movie i made

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Hey, a couple of years ago when i first started makin movies i made this movie. It was all filmed from 2004 to early 2005. I cant believe how much i, and the movies have changed. I agree that half of these effects are pretty lame, but watch it to see how far i have come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g1iPq1jNbc
Hide or fight for your life?
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Old special effect movie i made

Post by Zac »

lol, yeh...GOD i cant believe back then we thought they were so awesome, geez we sucked. :)
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Save

Post by Save »

Some of this are really cool. you work with a blue screen?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I have a green screen but its a little too dark so i dont use it much, but when i do i give it a try. I didnt use any screening in that movie, exept for the stock footage.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

thats was a good completation of effects, enjoyed watching it
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

sorry to say but thats the best of what ive seen from you it may be your "old" stuff but its really god.... some of it exspecially when you froze stuff in midair.....how do you do that..... and what programs do you need and what do you have?

zacatac
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

sad but true.... even tho it was still very very lame
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Actually the idea of duplicating the same footage, masking it, and then freezing one, is kind of a cool idea I'd never thought of. Actually I'm not sure if you do that exact thing in the video (I watched it earlier) but I think that'd be cool. You could toss a ball up and freeze it there. Or several things. Hmmmmm...
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Uh thanks and oh god. I used adobe premiere pro 7.0 to make the effects. Considering the fact that most of you thought that was good, i may someday make a new one, with added effects (and new footage).
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

do tell of how you did the freeze frame, i'd only be able to do it in filmstrip....
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

It was actually really really easy doing the freeze frame. All you do is cut where u want the clip frozen and cut where u want it to stop then u right click on the clip and then frame hold. But what i did was cut where i wanted the freeze frame, make it deinterlace (field options>deinterlace) then export the frame. Press control z because u would have to rerender the clip otherwise. Put the frame inbetween the two parts of the clip and cut it down to how long u want it. Easy! It probably doesnt sound easy, but, Easy!
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

but how did you keep moving? ahh... i understood that part but idk
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

U make a single cut in your footage where u want it, then u move one of the clips over, then put the exported frame at the last of the first clip. That sounds difficult, although i made it.
Its not too hard, but heres a pic for you:
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Ok then, sorry abotu the double post but you cant see that pic, heres the link to the pic:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/ ... ternet.jpg
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

you still can't see it... i think what your explaining is not what im thinking about.... when you drop the blue teddy bear and it freezes ... are you masking the teddy bear? idk
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Oh yeah, yeh i am using a track matte you can find the video tutorial for maskin on wrigleyvideo.com but its not explaining how to do clones, i had to figure that out myself, but it does help. Does anyone know how to do screencapturing (video) for free?
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

Windows Movie Maker?
lol
PapaMurf

Post by PapaMurf »

To screen capture for free, click PRINT SCREEN (it's PRT SCR for me but may be diff. for you) and then go in MS PAINT and right click and paste (or Ctrl+V) If you want, you can open up another window of MS Paint, go into the first MS PAINT, select the desired area, copy, and then paste in the second. At least that's how I do it. Hope that helps.
Proud Founder of Naked Time Inc. A division of Strawberry Productions
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I like your old stuff better, even though it was a demo real it was good for a beginner. Maybe put all your ideas into a movie...?
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

" cant believe how much i, and the movies have changed."

No offense, but I don't really see much of a change in the effects and your more current "training films."
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Cos i use fight moves in the training ones. Hehehehe, the training films suck a** so i dont really care. Im clearly not going to add anymore s**t to the training saga, cos no one likes them, not even me. I needa lay down soon cos i feel like im tired, but its not because of no sleep that im tired, hehehheheehe. Im bored. Can some one tell me how i can improve my modern little cr**py movies?
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Having watched your training films, I'd have to say your effects are better than a lot of cr** I've seen. They're not great, certainly, but they're not really gosh-awful either. What I'd recommend doing is shooting a couple NON-ACTION pieces. Just getting to know your camera, lighting, how to frame shots, angles to use, how to employ camera movement, all that sort of thing. Also, write a few pieces of script, even some short stuff, and just film them. Limit yourself to not using ANY special effects for, say, two or three videos.

Don't take this as me preaching, 'cause I'm certainly no expert. I think a lot of my work absolutely sucks. But I'm learning. That's just stuff I've found helpful.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

I agree with OutcastJiob. Try working with lighting and other stuff. Also, try writing an actual movie, preferably one that does not include zombies, staffs or muzzle flashes.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

ok well you have still yet to explain how that effect was acheived..... Ok you what program did you use....

then explain....
i know you masked it

and you can use technical terms i noticed a slight talk in the posts above that you thought i was a first time filmmaker.... im not
Save

Post by Save »

OutcastJiob wrote:Having watched your training films, I'd have to say your effects are better than a lot of cr** I've seen. They're not great, certainly, but they're not really gosh-awful either. What I'd recommend doing is shooting a couple NON-ACTION pieces. Just getting to know your camera, lighting, how to frame shots, angles to use, how to employ camera movement, all that sort of thing. Also, write a few pieces of script, even some short stuff, and just film them. Limit yourself to not using ANY special effects for, say, two or three videos.

Don't take this as me preaching, 'cause I'm certainly no expert. I think a lot of my work absolutely sucks. But I'm learning. That's just stuff I've found helpful.
I agree. A Special effects based movie is gonne be boaring...
Filming with no special effects for a while might improve you as a movie maker... Who knows.. I'l try that myself..