Prohibited weapons?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Prohibited weapons?

Post by rhys »

Hey i was wondering what weapons are illegal. I have bought foam nunchackus to use for movies and to train with. I went around the internet and found that nunchackus are illegal, but im 99.99% sure that foam is legal. How are people allowed to sell prohibited weapons anyway?
The australian laws dont make all that much sense. They say that you are allowed to have specific prohibited weapons, but as long as they stay in the home and are stored away safely. How are the weapons prohibited, but legal? It doesnt make much sense to me. I also opened up this thread so i could as you, what weapons are not at all illegal?
Hide or fight for your life?
Save

RE: Prohibited weapons?

Post by Save »

Well, I'm pretty sure nuclear weapons are illegal. :P
Assault is illegal so Using a weapon on a person is also illegal... That makes all weapons illegal... unless you have a lisence..
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

No, not all weapons are considered illegal. I have a whip, it is not considered illegal. I have two knives, there not considered illegal, i have a whip, it is not considered illegal, i have my staff, its not considered illegal. There are legal weapons that are out there, i want something stylish but i dont want to be procicuted (i hope thats how u spell it). How could i get a permit/licence then?
P.S. I want sais.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Save wrote: That makes all weapons illegal... unless you have a lisence..
A license... a license, to kill? (Sorry, I just had to).

rhys, your second post has been more or less the first thing that I have ever read on here that has literally made me laugh out loud. It is quite simply the most ridiculously worded post in human existence.

Aaaannyyway- as to your question; the best thing I can recommend for you to do is to go down to your local police department and ask them for some literature on the subject, or, if it's a slow day, you might possibly be able to speak with an officer about the difference between prohibited and banned weapons, and what you can do to circumvent these restrictions. I own a katana, and in Calgary any edged weapon with a blade longer than 6" is considered illegal. Why was I able to buy it? Because that law only applies to carrying said weapon concealed. Lots of legal wiggle room if you know where to look.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

"I went around the internet and found that nunchackus are illegal, but im 99.99% sure that foam is legal."

I really hope that was a bad joke you made and you weren't serious.

"How are the weapons prohibited, but legal?"

Have you ever been to a house where there are swords "displayed" on a wall?

"It doesnt make much sense to me. I also opened up this thread so i could as you, what weapons are not at all illegal?"

That's a very vague question. Anything can be a weapon even your own shoe, like if you kick someone it is assault with a deadly weapon. Basically ANY weapon is legal if you have a license for it.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

It all depends on the laws in your area, I have lived and filmed in states here in the US where guns and knves are common place an the laws surrounding them are very lax. No that I am back in CA well s*** i might as well be in Europe with the laws regarding weapons here.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

is this the right place for a weapons topic?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Anything is legal depending who you are, what you do, and where you are. For some people guns are illegal, for some they are not. For some people, high explosives are illegal, for some they are not. For some people any bladed object is illegal, for some they are not. If you have a class-3 firearms license, just about any gun is legal for you to own and manufacture. In another area, it could be illegal to mention guns. I dunno. Do your research.

And the banning of weapons because they can be used with deadly intent is ludicrous. When do we start prohibiting pencils, scissors, and rulers from classrooms because they have sharp points?
Siratramus

oz weapons laws

Post by Siratramus »

here we go.......

Stage 1:

here is how the law is set out (in oz) to deside what is illegal and what isn't.

Is it a tool or a weapon.

guns are weapons, you need a license. Nunchakas are weapons, it is not a case of keeping them locked away, you need membership to a martial arts club. It is a poorly inforced law, so your pretty safe. The same is for swords, but it is losely inforced.

A knife is concidered a tool. That is why it is legal up to a certian size.

A staff is illegal as it is a weapon. A long straight stick of wood, is perfectly fine as it is not a weapon.

Stage 2:

Anything that is shaped to look like a real weapon is also illegal. If your foam nunchakas look like real ones, to bad how sad. This is so people do not start robbing petrol stations with a 2 dollar plastic to gun.

Stage 3: (the really screwed up bit)

To use these things legally in a film you must have a permit, however, any police officer can arrest, even after seeing the permit, if he sees fit.

Hope this helps
There is nothing more tragic than seeing your family torn apart by something a simple as a pack of wolves.
Siratramus

oz weapons laws

Post by Siratramus »

here we go.......

Stage 1:

here is how the law is set out (in oz) to deside what is illegal and what isn't.

guns are weapons, you need a license. Nunchakas are weapons, it is not a case of keeping them locked away, you need membership to a martial arts club. It is a poorly inforced law, so your pretty safe. The same is for swords, but it is losely inforced.

A staff is illegal as it is a weapon. A long straight stick of wood, is perfectly fine as it is not a weapon.

Stage 2:

Anything that is shaped to look like a real weapon is also illegal. If your foam nunchakas look like real ones, to bad how sad. This is so people do not start robbing petrol stations with a 2 dollar plastic to gun.

To use these things legally in a film you must have a permit, however, any police officer can arrest, even after seeing the permit, if he sees fit.

Hope this helps
There is nothing more tragic than seeing your family torn apart by something a simple as a pack of wolves.
Siratramus

oz weapons laws

Post by Siratramus »

here we go.......

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Hope this helps
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

I really really dont think that foam nunchuckas are illegal. they are just for messing around with. its like if you had a plastic sword. those arent illegal so foam nunchuckas arent illegal. you could do more damage with rock
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Awesome, u people know your stuff. Yeah, i think ill be right. I will lightly stock up on weapons, but not those that can be taken away and then faced with a massive fine or prison. I heard that pistol crossbows (one handed crossbows are illegal) but normal crossbows are legal. Are compound bows illegal unless you have a member ship to an archery range/club?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Again, your best bet is to make a trip to the local PD, I don't think there is anyone here read up on the Australian criminal code. I do know that pistol crossbows are illegal pretty much anywhere. (But that doen't stop you from making one, it certainly didn't stop me!) I believe that most countries have no bans, restrictions or anything like that on normal[/] hunting bows (Compound and Recurve). Some crazy mechanical assisted balista on the other hand...
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Look at it this way... most cops are cool people. Talk with them. Inless they're a real nob most law enforcement are fine with amateur filmmakers. Sure we have to push the limits, otherwise how would we get anything done? We aren't professionals with big budgets. Just don't do anythig stupid to get yourself obviously arrested. If you want to play on the safer side, get a cop to hang out with you on the set. Make friends with law enforcement, don't make them the enemy. It can only help you in future situations.
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

Pistol crossbows are not illegal pretty much everywhere. They are legal in California. Well I think they are. Big 5 sells them and so I think they probably are.

You can get pretty much any weapons if you know where to look. About a year ago a cop was killed and the weapon was an AK-47 bought from a corner store
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You know that just because a store sells something doesn't necessarily mean it is legal to be sold.
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

It's not legal where I live to own an AK-47. It isnt legal in most places, but my point is that it doesn't matter if it is legal you can still get it if you want. Rhys was asking "how are people allowed to sell prohibited weapons anyway?" People will sell anything for money. Most things
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

I have a whip, it is not considered illegal. I have two knives, there not considered illegal, i have a whip, it is not considered illegal
hmm....deja vu...