Space Animation Test

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Space Animation Test

Post by OutcastJiob »

Yes, yes, I know it's fairly lame to post "hey i just made this cause i was bored teh lolz". . . . but I'm going to do it anyway. This is an animation I slapped together today. Everything was drawn or otherwise created in Photoshop and was then animated in After Effects. No 3D software used.

http://www.deadsignalfilms.com/space.mov

I realize it's nothing amazing. Any serious problems with it, though? Something I could improve?
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
a2e

Post by a2e »

For being totaly 2D I think that looks great! I love the little zoom you have in there, makes it feel firefly/serenity-ish. I only have three sugestions:

1. see if you can't tweak your sun a little bit. I would make it's halo a little less defined as not to wash out the entire frame. Also I would add a bit of a lens flair to it for the added effect.

2. if you are going for the firefly handeld look I would add a bit of randomness to the camera motion. If you are using AE look into using "the jiggler."

3. During your little zoom I would add a slight rack focus effect as if the auto-focus can't keep up.

Other then that I think you are good. I hope this helps.
S_Dragon

Post by S_Dragon »

A couple jumpy movements, but i liked the erie effect of the sun...nicely done!
I have bad Computer Karma...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I don't have the right codec to watch it.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

so you made the image... then took it into AE and keyframed (badly) a zoom... Oh and lets not forget the lens flare!

its pretty crappy maybe you could have done something a little more creative in space using the camera and 3d layer tools oh and learn to curve your keyframes so they ramp up and down naturally
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Noted, aaron, I'll look into what you said. I didn't even think about 3D layers but you're absolutely right. Thanks for the crit.

a2e, I'll mess with jiggler and see what kind of results I can get. The more rapid zoom was there because I screwed up my keyframing, but I decided to leave it after I did it cause I liked the "Firefly" look like you said. I'll blur and then refocus as you suggested. And I'll adjust the sun / lens flare.

S_Dragon, thanks!

Epsilon, that's odd; if you have the latest version of QuickTime everything should be fine; it's just the H.264 codec.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

did u draw the planet? if so its very good. if not then send me the picture :)
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I did draw the planet, yes. Here's ahigh-res (1280x1024) version of it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Ah yes, you were right. I did not have the latest version! 8)
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

wow how did u do the planet?
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

pretty good, except i think the movements should me more smoother, as they seem a little sudden. Real good for 2d though.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I made the planet with some techniques I'd learned from various tutorials (though I didn't follow a tutorial to make this one). If you've got Photoshop, planets are actually quite easy to make, have a look here: http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts ... lanet.html

Thanks, Magic-Man!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Looked, not bad...-ish. It did look pretty flat, and I though the zoom was just to harsh. If you watch Firefly when they use a "human error" style zoom it usually goes in, then back out with a momentary loss of focus. As a side note, the pic you posted of the planet is now my desktop background, hope you don't mind!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.