How do you actually get into the film industry?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Tommo.S

How do you actually get into the film industry?

Post by Tommo.S »

Hey all,

Im New to this so I apologize if I’ve entered this on the wrong site. Anyways I’m a year 12 student, final year and living in Australia. I’m sure some of you would most certainly have some experience in the industry, and would know what the best method of creating a career path would be. I know experience is certainly the most important thing, but I’m thinking of doing a degree perhaps in digital media at University. Although I’m not sure if that’s the best option.

I don’t consider myself to be an expert at film making, so I’m not expecting to be a Spielberg or anything like that. I recently made a film in the bush with just a camera, a dog and myself. I live in the bush and resources such as actors are hard to come by so I used my best pal, my dog. Anyways I entered that film into a film festival, the NT fist full of films. Surprisingly my movie made it to the finals and I had my film shown on the big screen! I didn’t win, however some producer guy said he thought it was really good. So I think I’m okay at film making lol. I know that its only small time stuff, but how do I go about getting into the big time stuff?

Any advice would be appreciated as to what I sould do next year after school? :? :D
SE7

RE: How do you actually get into the film industry?

Post by SE7 »

I think you should make an impressive, professional portfolio showing some of your best work. Once you do that, try to get it shown to some of the important people in the filmmaking and digital media business... start small and work yourself up. Pretty soon you will make a break in the business....

Well, this is what I would do anyway...
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: How do you actually get into the film industry?

Post by Kentertainment »

You're pretty much on the right path. Many people will at least get a bit of film school in and using their own money, create a feature length Independent Film (usually 85 minutes) where they submit it into bigger festivals like Sundance, Cannes, Tribeca, SXSW, ect. Most the time the best films will have a producer buy distributing rights to the film where it will be distributed to theaters and DVD. A lot of the times the directors will be asked to tackle on a bigger project and so on.

Personally I feel staying on the Independent Filmmaking path is the best way. Indie films you generally have more freedom to do whatever because you're not under the restriction of a Studio.
KeithP

Post by KeithP »

Do what you love to do. Make your movies and then learn from it. Throw them in festivals to at least get exposure. Its all about the love of making films.
Tommo.S

Post by Tommo.S »

Right, thanks guys. :)

so this is the plan:
1- Finish year 12
2- Do a Diploma in digital media
3- Do a Degree in Digital media
4- Enter film festivals and hope to get lucky.
5- Join production studio :P

Sounds like an expensive career lol, oh well at least im doing what I want to do. Sounds like a fun career though.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: How do you actually get into the film industry?

Post by Epsilon »

Tommo.S wrote:I don’t consider myself to be an expert at film making, so I’m not expecting to be a Spielberg or anything like that...
If you cannot consider yourself to be great at filmmaking, you will never succeed. You will probably be stuck doing gopher work for small time stuff for the rest of your life. That is no fun. Period.

Film school doesn't really help you any in the long run... In the big industry, nobody cares about grades. It is all about your reputation, experiences, knowledge. Knowledge doesn't come from a classroom. It comes from just doing it. The ambitious person needs not a teacher instructing them how to read a book. The ambitious person already knows the material. :) This is where a portfolio is handy. It is proof of you excellence.

I live right next to the Big Industry and know enough people that tried hard and failed or actually got into the business and became gophers. Unless you have the talent, nothing else matters.

And I should mention, atop talent you need Luck.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: How do you actually get into the film industry?

Post by rhys »

No i think he merely said that he doesnt think hes Speilberg, because Speilberg clearly is one of the best directors in the world. And probably that Tommo doesnt want to seem like a self-centered ego maniac, which can be pulled out quickly on this site.
Hide or fight for your life?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Rhys, you say merely alot.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

haha, as ive mentioned before :D ....
Tommo.S

Post by Tommo.S »

Yep ryhs you got it mate, I really wouldn't want to go onto a forum with a big ego, saying i am the next Spielberg, especially with the title of newbie, that'd be askin for lots of trouble lol. But yeah I see your point Epsilon, and I certainly agree with you. Good thing education isnt important as im just passing year 12 (Really hate this scientific maths stuff)! But yeah im gonna do a bit of movie schooling, just so I can learn these 'guidelines' of filmaking. Cos I think all my films so far, although creative are actually breaking alot of the 'guidelines' lol :P
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Yeah, books about film making are nice help occasionally. Just don't make the mistake of LIVING by the guidelines in those books. If you study the technical aspects too hard, it will take focus out of your artistic vision which is by far more important. Your ideas and your vision is what keep you motivated and makes you want to perfect everything you film.

However, don't get me wrong, its definitely a good idea to be knowledgeable on equipment and film making techniques already in existence. But don't be afraid to step off the path enough for you to have your own recognizable style. If you can do that, make quality original films with a unique style all your own. And with some luck, you will get noticed. And don't be afraid to work in studios, if your good enough maybe they'll grant you artistic autonomy like they did for Kubrick....but thats a long shot. lol. Start independent.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

i dont really have tons of knowledge about film schools and stuff but at our high school we all do this pathway planning thing where you go and talk to some lady about what you want to do when your older and she tells you where you can get education and stuff like that.
could you show us that film that got you in the finals of a film festival? please i would be interested to see it.
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Im currently doing a degree in film and media studies which has a good mix of theory and practical production. The idea was that i'd take this course and produce movies on the side, but it hasn't worked out like that because it's taking up pretty much all of my time. But it's teaching me all of the stuff you can learn from books, however it's no substitute for actually getting out there with a camera and a crew and doing something.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

wow things must be different in america..

"Film school doesn't really help you any in the long run... In the big industry, nobody cares about grades. It is all about your reputation, experiences, knowledge. Knowledge doesn't come from a classroom. It comes from just doing it"

if you go to a film school in england you actually make films and dont spend your entire course in a classroom so people in the industry do care about grades and qualifications becuase you will be trained in a specific area of the industry so you can go from there into working in the film industry straight away
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well in the UK this is how it kminda works,

There are pretty much (and im sure someone can correct me here) 3 basic kinds of courses.

Those in the theory of film (which are pointless for us)

Those in the vocational practice of film (these are practical courses with anything up to 50% theory in them)

Courses that are entirely vocational in the fields of television and production.

The courses in the theory and vocational subjects of film are nominally degrees, while in TV there are degrees also (but more often these are 2 year college courses.)

Personally I think film school helps enormously to make you a better filmmaker, but there are many that succeed outwith the educational assistance these institutions bring. Though normally those exceptional individuals are more often men who are mature, experienced, and with a lot of support or contacts. There are not a ride it alone 18 year old from Utah (or for the UK er... milton keynes lol)

So For any young person doing a degree they should OBVIOUSLY follow a vocational film degree route if they want to be a filmmaker.

Of course i am on the senior year of a film degree, but i did also do a television production course (intensely technical but less relevant to film) ie. multicam shoots, studios etc. (A lot of it as you can imagine bridges to film too of course.)

I think the theory component is vital to film degrees too (but should definatley not be more than 50% imo, mine is about 33% of the course I do.) That is because most filmmakers (that are young) are thick as s*** about the kind of stories they want to tell and also the way they can experiment or use different visual codes to tell them.

In other words, being a filmmaker (or a director) is pointless unless you also make your brain bigger intelletually as well, and this as much as the training in the use of this camera or another, is vital too.

VITAL VITAL

Oh if you are in the UK, there were 4 universities given the coveted 'Screen Master' Status, which means they got loads of extra $$$£££ from the govt to ensure they can help kickstart the film industry.

In Scotland this is the Napier & Edinburgh School of Art (that share this status) but in England there are 3 others, check em out!
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

well what are the 4 universities ??? metropolitan film school in london and the NSTF in buckinghamshire im guessing are two of them
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

It's not who you are, but who you know that will get you into the film industry.
"Prolly Just Film"
Tommo.S

Post by Tommo.S »

Ah in reference to my orginal post, with that film festival .Well ive put it up on youtube now. Anyways the links in Chloe the Dog topic under members films. I would give you a link here but my nets down, so sorry :(
NPMAX

Re: How do you actually get into the film industry?

Post by NPMAX »

Epsilon wrote:
Tommo.S wrote:I don’t consider myself to be an expert at film making, so I’m not expecting to be a Spielberg or anything like that...
If you cannot consider yourself to be great at filmmaking, you will never succeed. You will probably be stuck doing gopher work for small time stuff for the rest of your life. That is no fun. Period.

I know plenty of professionals that say their work sucks and that they aren't good at it, they make a living doing what they want still. Just like some of the people i have written for, i think my writing for the most part is garbage however it doesn't stop people from wanting me to work with them.
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

i have just taken up media studies
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Q: How do you get into the film industry?
A: Step One - find an executive to a major production studio. Step Two - get down on your knees, and...

I'd say take some film related courses and spend every waking minute making connections and working on a showreel. I'm personally doing a major in Communiactions Studies with a minor in Film at University. Short answer is: work you a** off day in and day out.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

^^^ UFP has it half right, work your a** off, never refuse a role or offer to collaborate. I may not know alot about film making but I get steady work in tons of low to no budget stuff just being on the crew/acting or production ends. Actually finally getting a few checks after 4 years of doing this stuff, paying my dues.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

lethelgirth87 wrote:It's not who you are, but who you know that will get you into the film industry.
Wrong!!

It's not who you know... It's who knows you.

:wink:
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Epsilon wrote:
lethelgirth87 wrote:It's not who you are, but who you know that will get you into the film industry.
Wrong!!

It's not who you know... It's who knows you.

:wink:
"It's not who you are" is also wrong too, because they still wont employ you if you're a gunt!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Dave knows, you have to have at least half a clue (talent), knowing some people even low level people helps though.