Drunk lager-lout Effect

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Drunk lager-lout Effect

Post by El Brenty »

Any suggestions how to do a drunk lager lout effect in post production?

It's for a character I'm creating:

He'll pay people compliments, and when he is in view, he is smiling and seems ever so polite and sweet. People think he's a really nice and charming guy. :D

HOWEVER!

When you see through his eyes, looking at the person he's talking to, his voice changes, and he's "sarcastic b*st*rd!". His compliments change into extremely sarcastic and rude comments - But only from his point of view.

I want the image of seeing through his eyes to be strong and well defined, and thought a drunken lager-lout type frame of mine would reflect his twisted personality. That way when you switch back and forth from how people see him, and how he's sees people, you'll see a strong contrast immediately. I don't want the viewer to have to spend an hour trying to figure out what's going on.

So any suggestions on how to do this? I want to avoid doing 2 takes if possible, doing all the drunken effects in post production.

Sarcastic B*st*rd (C) 2003 Brent Stevens

Oh, while I think of it, if anyone has any sketch ideas regarding Sarcastic B*st*rd, you're welcome to submit them here as well. If we use any, you'll get listed I the credits, and you may even get paid if it hits the TV networks!!! Think - Sarcastic English humour!

[Edited on 12-10-2003 by CamClub]
Moderating behind the bushes!
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

using a kind of blur effect with wobbly camera work would make him seem drunk, and add some sound effects in the background - i cant really explain what i mean (altho i know what i mean!), but stuff like people whispering in the background and that sound effect that gets used when people are drunk. il see if i can find it :)

[Edited on 12-10-2003 by mark_essex_87]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Sounds good, I can't wait to hear what these sounds effects you're talking about are like.
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

i couldnt really find any which i'm thinking off - but find a whispering sound - i just found some by a quick search on google - and use that in the background - i think that'd work great! if you go to http://www.sound-effects-library.com/ and search 'drunk' - you get a sound called Drunk Johanna Piano - that would work good as well... I'm in the process of altering that one ;)
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

In fact for one of my many film experiments (before actually producing a film), i think i might have a go at creating this effect as well myself. :D
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

i always find a good drunken sound effect is a train going by in slow motion.:cool:
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It's kind of like there's an out of tune piano, not making any particuar tune - the sound is "blurred". Man, that brings back memories!

It's like you're actually drunk, and you can hear noise in the background, but your brain ain't working right, so it'a all garbled up!

Good Idea, I like that - although I'd use it at a low volume lever, just for that ambience effect.

:D

I have an idea how to do this - Go to my local pub, record the background noise of everyone shouting over everyone else, and overlay that onto a Richard Clayderman soundtrack. Then find some way of blurring the sound - May be able to do that using Creative's environmental Audio! Because the piano piece will be garbled out of recognition, there won't be any copyright issues!

Sweet! ;)
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

glad iv inspired u camclub!! iv just finished making my 'drunk' effect - its uploading but il post the link when i've done - its about 8mbs divx - sorry dialup users :) - i think its actually ok for a quick 20min film and edit lol. - the sound effects really give it that 'drunk' feel! :D
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

Here's My Drunk Effect! :D - 8.58mb DivX avi

[Edited on 12-10-2003 by mark_essex_87]
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

hey if u want a funny sketch... try doing a sketch of what drunk guys do best... try to get women it could be hillarious. complimenting her acting interested in what shes saying then in drunk view it will be all sarcastic and make him look like an nob.

as for drunk kind of effect... it distort the image a bit either a small bulge effect or whatever and then blurring the edges of the screen slightly because when your drunk your peripheral vision goes nuts... then add some sort of color running or smearing so that the motion looks very blury and slow kind of... also add a subtle yellowish tint to the footage to give it that hint of yucky drunkeness. Also this might sound bad but if drunken guy is talking to a female move the focus to her breasts slightly. :)

Another funny sketch for a drunk person is to get them to tell a complete stranger a story that goes absolutely nowhere and see how long they can put up with the drunk guy untill they get out of there its hillarious!
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~corkill/aaronv2/oldsite/temp/v2banner.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.aaronv2.vze.com/[/url]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Good suggestions - But with this particular character, he appears sober, and ever so nice to people who meet him. It's only through his eyes we see what he's really up to.
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

yup and so do normal camera work when looking at him with his normal voice. when you see from inside him, everything is slow - footage speed - sounds are slowed down to be deeper - his voice is an evil voice slowed down. camera work is blurred and wobbly. sound is normal and footage speed is normal when we are looking at him though. :)
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

i dont get how thats funny...
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~corkill/aaronv2/oldsite/temp/v2banner.jpg[/img]
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

i wasnt showing how it could be funny - i was showing a way to distinguish when we are seeing what he sees and when we are an on-looker :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Originally posted by insert_coin
i dont get how thats funny...
They call it satirical humour! It's sophisticted you know!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

ok, i thought this would be fun to make, so this is what i got.
It's not realy drunk (just not enough sleep)
But i think this is what you waant for the sound. I made it whit Goldwave (dopler effect)

sleepy.avi (1,6Mb)
http://www.shuttlesim.be
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

so this guy acts nice to people and cr**, then your saying we go to his view and he acts drunk? that isnt funny... its stupid.

sketch shows are getting really lame these days.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yah whatever, you've got the power to turn it off if it ever comes onto TV, whereas I'll be making loads of money so like I care what you just said - Nope!

You've also lost the plot slightly, he doesnt act drunk, he's a sarcastic bastard, but I want a "slightly" drunken effect to help portray his character from his view.

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by CamClub]
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

i can think of sketches 10 times as funny therefore i should be making 10 times as much money as you...
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Put your money where your mouth is then!

At least I'm making an effort rather than saying to everyone "I can do better"

Put up or shut up!
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Originally posted by CamClub
Oh, while I think of it, if anyone has any sketch ideas regarding Sarcastic B*st*rd, you're welcome to submit them here as well. If we use any, you'll get listed I the credits, and you may even get paid if it hits the TV networks!!! Think - Sarcastic English humour!
Nice Teeth there, mi'lord!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yeah, those country folk gentry have got pretty bad teeth! LOL!

That would be good if Sarcastic Bastard took up a job as a chauffeur, and was collecting his boss fromt The dentist!

"I see you spend a lot of money here!"

[Edited on 14-10-2003 by CamClub]
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

" OMG ITS MICHEAL JACKSOn"
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

he did develop and english accent
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I thought he was just talking chimpanese!?