Need help-can I create a broadcast quality ad with premiere

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bcp1961

Need help-can I create a broadcast quality ad with premiere

Post by bcp1961 »

I've created several cd-rom presentations for a local realty company and now they want me to create a 30 second commercial using primarily stills. I've done some searching on the i-net but haven't been very successful in finding information on what is required for a broadcast quality product. I am using Premiere 6.0.
Will this produce a product that is ready for broadcast or do I need to have it sent out to a post-production company?
Which project settings should I be looking at- would it be dv(ntsc) or dv(pal)?
What format should my source images be - jpeg or tiff?
I would appreciate any help, this is totally new to me :-)
Thanks
Bernadette
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Though I don't use premire, it is totally possible to produce broadcast quality using it alone. If you are based in the US, you will be using NTSC, and if your are in Europe, you will most likely be using PAL. For the pix, you would be better off using Photoshop format (.PSD), but if you don't have photoshop or paint shop pro (which both save to this format), you could probably be ok using JPEG or tiff. For the commercial, remember to use attractive text, and some panning on the photos (the ken burns effect), just as you see on documentries when they slowly pan accross or zoom in on a picture to compensate for the fact that they only have stills. It makes it look more like you have motion in the scene.

Also, one of the essentials of a good commercial is to not have lots of flashy transitions and animations. While these look cool, and many commercials use them, they also decrease the proffesionalism. (sorry if you already know this stuff, but just incase you don't...)

To make the final product, just make sure when you output the video, the picture and audio setting are on thier highest quality. Also make sure to check the decible level on the audio throughout the commercial to make sure it does not go into the red zone.

When you are ready to transfer, just use a dv camcorder to out it on a DV tape. Just give it to the tv station in that format, and they should know what to do from there. (check with them before hand just to make sure)

Remember as well to put a countdown and test tone before the commercial, as this is a TV studio standard, which allows them to more easily airthe commercial exactly from the beginning.

hope this helps! :)

----------------------------------------

Just for reference, here is a list of counties using PAL ot NTSC...

NTSC countries are: USA, Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Burma, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Greenland, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Jamaica, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, St. Kitts, Saipan, Samoa, Surinam, Taiwan, Tobago, Trinidad, Venezuela, Virgin Islands.

NTSC countries using NTSC format (Color) NTSC or (Black & White) EIA (60Hz): Antigua Ecuador Peru Bahamas El Salvador Philippines Barbados Greenland Puerto Rico Bermuda Guam St. Kitts and Nevis Burma Guatemala Samoa Bolivia Honduras Surinam Canada Jamaica Taiwan Chile Japan Trinidad/Tobago Colombia Korea (South) United States of America Costa Rica Mexico Venezuela Cuba Monserrat Virgin Islands Curacao Nicaragua Dominican Republic Panama

PAL countries using PAL format (Color) PAL standard or (Black & White) CCIR (50Hz): Albania Guinea-Bissau Papua New Guinea Algeria Hong Kong Portugal Angola Iceland Qatar Australia India Sao Tome and Principe Austria Indonesia Saudi Arabia Bahrain Ireland Seychelles Bangladesh Israel Sierra Leone Belgium Italy Singapore Bosnia/Hertzegovina Jordan Slovenia Botswana Kenya Somalia Brunei Kuwait South Africa Cameroon Lesotho Spain Croatia Liberia Sri Lanka Cyprus Luxembourg Sudan Denmark Malawi Swaziland Ethiopia Malaysia Sweden Equatorial Guinea Malta Switzerland Faeroe Islands Namibia Syria Finland Nepal Thailand Gambia Netherlands Tunisia Germany New Zealand Turkey Ghana Nigeria Uganda Gibraltar Norway United Arab Emirates Greenland Oman United Kingdom Guinea Pakistan Yemen
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Impressive size post, U.S.Amateurfilmaker!

Tiffs will produce a higher quality picture, jpegs are size compressed and do not look quite as nice. But if you are tight on space, use jpegs. Really most any format will work in Premiere.

VHS and S-VHS VCRs are uncompressed quality, DVDs are very compressed. You want to export everything as uncompressed (highest possible quality)

Premiere will export your movies as broadcast quality.

And yes, try not to go overboard with flashy special effects!
Simon Rylance

Post by Simon Rylance »

there is no such thing as broadcast quality, there are no stats or requirements. its just a term used by pros with beasty gear and tv channels to not show, use or agnolage people with 'lesser quality'.
look at all thouse 9/11 videos, they quickly turned to broad cast quality dident they :D
bcp1961

Post by bcp1961 »

Many thanks to all of you for your advice. U.S.Amateurfilmaker your post was very helpful and thorough - I really appreciate all the info! Wish me Luck!!
Bernadette
Reiji

Post by Reiji »

Simon:

In the UK: Broadcast TV programmes are filmed on 30fps (I think) S-VHS : the news and first-unit stuff like quiz shows etc.

Films are 35mm 24fps.
[size=84][color=white][url=http://www.reijigames.tk]REIJIGAMES.TK[/url]
---
PLOT-DRIVEN STYLISH GAMES
REALTIME CG MOVIES[/color]

[color=blue]Intel Inside[/color]
[color=orange]Idiot Outside[/color][/size]