help this is rather technical but would appreciate any help.

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

mark

help this is rather technical but would appreciate any help.

Post by mark »

I have just an analogue video camcorder,
Its VHSC in format, Its JVC in make, its model number is GR-AX670.
Anyway I have a modern computer and would like to do some computer editing.

Does anyone know of a capture card/editing software that would be helpfull for a guy stuck in the analogue age.
it has a J terminal (JLIP, joint level interface protocol) and my manual says it will connect to a personnal computer.

Have tried a "pinnacle" appliaction of some sort (sorry as not very specific as had it a while ago, it didn't work)
Had a capture card, all the necessary leads + software

Anybody still working on analogue would appreciate some editing advice, ideally computer editing.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I use an old Matrox g400TV that captures and feeds out analogue quite nicely
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yep, I'd also go for that one, the prices have come down because the technology is getting old, BUT it's still a very good card, originally aimed at low-end professional use. Matrox do other professional graphics cards, but they cost a fortune. People forget that the Matrox cards have some of the best 2D accelleration on the market, which is very important for video processing, rather than 3D games! Most 3D games cards lack the advanced 2D functionality.

Alternatively, you can but a TV capture card that works in conjunction with your existing graphics card to get the video into your PC, but then you'll need a TV out graphics card to make the best of this unless you're going to save straight onto SVCD or DVD.

Pinnacle should work for editing once you've got the video into the PC. Don't use Pinnacle as the capture card "controller" if you're not getting any results. Some people on here use Pinnacle, Jerry Jones uses Ulead software, which seems to be quite functional at a good price, and lots of folks use Adobe software, that starts getting horrendous in price. There's a few other packages available, but I believe they are aimed nearer the top end of the market.

Good luck!
mark

Post by mark »

thanks to you both, advice is appreciated
mark

Post by mark »

This is aimed particularly at "CamClub" as he lives in the same country as me, eg UK.
That "matroxg400TV" card sounds good, do you know where I can get one, prefer to buy new, unless quality second hand gear?
Grant

Post by Grant »

go to

http://www.matrox.com

and check the products there,. There has been a few upgrades and models sonce the G400tv. I like it for simplicity and it always captures really well including stills. I love it!!!
mark

Post by mark »

Thanks for advice guys but after lots of thoughts decided to go digital and get editing software for that, think it will be easier in long run AND will have better quality footage.

Looking at a Sony DCR-TRV33 Mini DV camcorder does anyone on here use one.....will consider other options.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Sony + DV = very good

From the comments I've seen on this forum!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]