I need to hang myself!

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

I need to hang myself!

Post by El Brenty »

For a sketch, I'm after an audience reaction to a bad comedian. On this particular occasion, as a member of the audience, I want to hang myself, because the jokes are so bad.

I plan to film this one in a local pub, there's not much in the way of ceiling hooks, although because it's got a tall ceiling, I could construct a frame to hold the top of the rope that would be out of shot.

So how do I go about hanging myself?
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

lol im presuming u mean how to hang your self with out acctully dieing. you need some type of full body harness. get a thick rope to hang your self with and tye a nouse knot in the end then put a cabele down the back of the rope and clip it to the harness ( with you off of the floor) and put the nouse knot round your neck lossley but make it look tight. the only other way i can tink of is to put two hooks high up on the chest of a harness then put the rope round your neck and through the hooks so the hooks support your waight.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Dummy
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Grant

Post by Grant »

need a protable self supporting frame and a proper hanging rig to make it safer
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Does anyone have any diagrams and drawings on this, and how do I get down afterwards - I would have kicked the chair away, and chances are that the film crew I'm getting together will start making jokes like "Hang about", and "Have you got the hang of that yet", and "You're still hanging around", and just leave me there while they try to crack even more stupendous jokes!

So far, I've come up with some nice thick rope. I'm going to make the noose knot that I pull tight separate to the rig, and use a camera-cut to switch the rope to the rigged version.

I've another question. When people are hung, do they make choking/gurgling sounds or in the neck break does that end everything in 1 go?
Moderating behind the bushes!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Well the neck break should be very fast, but death may not be straight away. Also the body may go into convulsions and spasms. This leads to leakages of body fluids and uncontrollabe motions. Lots of jerking, shitting themselves etc.
The portable rig i have seen like an A_Frame with a stabiliser/weight distributor arm under it. Very simple in design. Just have to make it light enough to cart.
The hanging rig should distribute the weight across the shoulders and not the neck. I have seen guys almost die when the rig has slipped or been put on wrong. Yeah the thick rope would do under safe conditions CamClub :)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Erm, I won't bother with the body fluids bit! Eeeeeuw!

For the stunt rope, I was thinking of having a single piece of rope around my neck, but isn't connected to anything. The noose knot would carry the wires to the harness, and the end of the knot would sit right behind the neck noose, looking like it's connected. That way, my neck is actually completely free of the rigging. I'm getting some ideas on this now.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yes CamClub that is how i have seen most rigs for live shows made. Just have to give the illusion that the rope has got tension on it from around his neck
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'll use a camera cut showing me slipping the noose over my head and me tightening it by hand, a cut back to the comedian, who is oblivious to it, switch ropes over, cut back to me kicking the chair out hanging myself - full view! Great stuff!

I've also got a gunshot to the head blowing my brains out the other side effect I'll post in the tutorials. May try to get a video clip sorted out for that one if I can.
Grant

Post by Grant »

post the tutorials!!!! and a clip
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Need a little more info...
This place, is it in a strip mall or it's own building?
Are there steel gurders overhead (maybe above a drop ceiling)?

If so, that's gonna be you're best bet for where to attached a wire vs. some kind of frame.

Check you're local home improvement store's hardware section for steel cable, fasteners and such.
Also check their ladder section for safety gear. A lot of times they have harnesses for contractors to hook into so they don't fall off a roof. Since you're not trying to do acrobatics or anything, this might be just what you need.

Have fun. (be safe.)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

The place I'm filming this is in a local pub. It's going to have an atmosphere of a seedy comedy club, with just 1 comedian. They have a fairly high ceiling, but it's plastered over, and the Landlord won't want me drilling into the joysts, so at the moment, I'm thinking of constructing a frame from 3X2s.

The camera doesn't need to see where the hangman's rope is attched to, so the frame can be out of view.

I like the idea of harnesses from the DIY store. I'll give that one a try! I'm only going to drop about 6 inches as I kick the chair out from underneath me. Feet dangling just above the ground.

Nick, you are our wireworking and effects guru!
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

Remember to post the end results/clips!!!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I will do, but don't hold your breath, filming won't start until the Spring. I'm researching and scripting in the mean time.
thewarmovie

Post by thewarmovie »

tie a rope to the ceiling so it can wraparound you neck while you standing, then turn you neck to the side so it looks like it broke your neck.

p.s. be careful :?