Slow Motion Camcorder

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Slow Motion Camcorder

Post by slimdog55 »

Anybody know where to get a slow motion camcorder for cheap? I'm fed up with the shity a** slow motion Premiere or any other program does. I'm talking about the ones which capture like 10,000 Frames Per Second.
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

>> slow motion camcorder for cheap?
Doesn't exist.
Cheap cameras are mass produced for the masses, which means 30i or 25i.
There are some hi-cost cameras with faster frame rates, but nothing close to what you're asking for here.
A CCD can't even be read that quickly.
Such a machine would have to be all analog writing to hi-speed tape.

One option would be to look into low-end film cameras (8mm or 16mm) with variable drive motors. You could shoot on film at high speed and then have that converted (or try to convert your self) to video.

Have fun.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

My Kung-Fu instructor uses one of these cameras. I can't be arsed to look it all up at the moment, but if you go to www.martialartinstitute.com there's some articles there, and onf of them mentions a camera that is often used for speed (slow motion) videography! I had their website somewhere. I may look it up again, and post it on here later. They certainly are not cheap!

He does work for a research department of the Ministry Of Defense!
Last edited by El Brenty on Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Riggzy

Post by Riggzy »

10,000 FPS? yeesh, you know on the Matrix Reloaded where the car smashes up in slow motion? that was recorded at 250fps, no need to go for 10,000fps
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Holy Cr*p, I have NEVER seen a camera record at 10,000 fps for a hollywood film. I think the most I've seen is 360fps for some special effects on Terminator 2. Plus remember they use FILM cameras. Not digital. I think I have seen a research project that included a camera recording at 10,000+ fps, that was for studies on explosives and recorded every bit of detail in the explosion. It spent the entire reel of film in 3 seconds. Definately NOT the cheap way to film! :)

But yes! You can record slow motion! You need to buy an HD camcorder that records at 60fps and simply slow it down to 30 after importing it. They are relatively new on the consumer market, but not near worth the money for one. A standard camcorder cannot capture more than 30/25 fps.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Ok, I really didn't know what the hell I was thinking about, 10,000 FPS. But if 250 FPS gets you kick a** slow-mo, then I could deal with that. I know these camcorders are alot of money, but it's slow-mo, what the hell you gonna do?
Riggzy

Post by Riggzy »

if you search on Google for Slow Motion Cameras, theres one of them links at the side in a box for a company that sells slow motion cameras
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Actually slimdog wasn't that far off the mark, this camera does up to 2000 frames a second at 1024 by 1024 resolution

and here's the specs:

http://www.photron.com/high_speed_camer ... _main.html.

Okay, that one is a bit on the slow side, so how about this one that runs at up to 16,000 frames a second! WOW!

And here's the info on that one!

http://www.photron.com/high_speed_camer ... _main.html

Any camera like this isn't cheap, they are mainly used for medical and industrial. I thought I'd post this because you lot were too lazy to trawl through the like that I was to lazy to trawl through!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

On the DVD features on Bad Boys 1 they fire real guns with a 2000 FPS Roepper cam, so you can actually see the bullet flying into different materials.
www.neverdead.co.nr