Blue/Green Screen

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

h2opologuy

Blue/Green Screen

Post by h2opologuy »

Can anyone tell me where i can get a blue or Green screen? Thanks

-Alex
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

your local fabric store. just get some blue/green fabric. it works just as well and is way cheaper. my green screen works flawlessly.
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Just build one. :)
Have fun.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah thats what i did the fabric store - only 10$ :D
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

the one that padawannick posted works ok but its not my reccomendation. i like fabric because it is more mobile. i built one like that but i dont like it cause i cant take it to different rooms so im getting a new one. its easy to just a hang a piece of fabric up anywhere.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

yeah i agree with carange , its what i do all the time just move the big peice of fabric easy to fold up and store to
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

right now i'm a little afraid to take down my poster green screen cause it is taped to the wall in many places and im sure it will take paint off the wall and this is a brand new house that we just built. i think i'll just never take it down so they wont know.
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Yeah, my original screen is designed to be a non-portable install, but the tutorial now includes pictures of a portable version too.
The portable one is 8 feet sqaure and is very light, so it can be moved around easily.

The "screen" iteself uses less than $2 in material, so if you need to move it in a car, just rip it down, and the frame disassembles in about a minute. Get to your new location, and you can put a new screen on (no accumulated dust, scratches, fading etc.) for $2. :)

I had tried fabric before all this.
There were a few problems...
1 - over time, the color fades.
2 - it collects dust (the static on the plastic actually REPELLS dust!)
3 - When shooting wide-angle shots where people have to walk on the material, the fabic gets really dirty fast. Then you have to wash it before using it again, which accelerates item 1 above.

The plastic is so absurdly cheap, you can use fresh material for every location and when you're done doing a bunch of shots where people walked all over the stuff, just toss it in the trash and you've only thrown away a few cents worth of material.

Lastly, the plastic rolls are VERY accessible. In my area, there are many more places (party stores) you can buy this stuff easily vs. finding a store the sells large bolts of fabric that happens to have a big-ol-piece of deep blue or lime green fabric.

Anyway, these are the resons that (even for paid work) I've been using the plastic.

Have fun.