Sad music in a scene

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

papercut

Sad music in a scene

Post by papercut »

I need some sad songs, to a sad scene. A scene where someone dies. Something like a woman sings with violins and stuff in background. Something that YOU think would fit. Thanks. Please post the artist\songtitle here.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

It doesn't have violens but is very said all the lement for gandalf tracks from The Fellowship of the Ring work well, i used those for a death secene, um....darn the well of ideas is running dry.....
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Emotional scenes can either make or break a blockbuster movie. Sad scene are astounding if done correctly.

It doesn't have to be be "sad" music necessarily to bring out the emotion for a death scene. It can be powerful and create a more sympathetic responce from the audience. For example, I love the Batman Returns movie, not because of the cheezy storyline, but the way Elfman used the music to enhance the scenes. Minor toned music is the best!

Black Hawk Down had a few good sections of simple, but sad music for the death scenes. Personally, I don't think that violins can bring out nearly as much sadness in a piece of music than minor vocal music can. It infers to the emotional church feeling, which make it so sad sounding. Violins make great "keep the movement going" scenes. For example Titanic used lots of it. But that last piece by 'I Salonisti' when the ship was sinking was great!
tyrrello

Post by tyrrello »

The problem with finding music to suit a mood especially within a film is that to really evoke a response in your audience you've gotta find something that will jerk tears out of different people. Something in a minor key is a great place to start, also look out for singers with real soul, carrying the mood of the song with real conviction. Strings are always great for reducing the toughest indivdual to jelly.

a few examples,
- Old and wise, by the Alan Parsons Project
- Crazy English Summer, by Faithless (The end is incredible)
- Beck - Lonesome Tears (For those grand "Enrique In the rain" deaths)

and also Brother by beck is pretty miserytastic
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well, that is my own personal opinoin.

Different music works for different films. You just gotta find (or compose) something that will work. We're on the same line, though. Gotta evoke a response. :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Originally posted by Epsilon
Black Hawk Down had a few good sections of simple, but sad music for the death scenes. Personally, I don't think that violins can bring out nearly as much sadness in a piece of music than minor vocal music can. It infers to the emotional church feeling, which make it so sad sounding.
LOL! Yeah, I could really picture violins changing the "We're scared $hitle$$ aargh, I've been hit by a stray bullet"atmosphere in Black Hawk Down!
Moderating behind the bushes!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yeah no kidding. Hans Zimmer is a frickin genius. Watch the movie again with surround sound, and you'll notice that the movie almost never goes without music, no matter how quiet or obscure it is. But the death scene with Smith was perfect with the slow piano and mug shots, and the whole strings thing actually worked when crash site 2 was overrun. But hey, it helps when you team 3 geniuses together on this kind of movie.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Even a bad movie moves up a few ranks if Hanz Zimmer does the music, and a great movie, like Black Hawk, gets even better. I remember that, from when I saw it in the theater, I need to buy that movie.
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Originally posted by papercut
I need some sad songs, to a sad scene. A scene where someone dies. Something like a woman sings with violins and stuff in background. Something that YOU think would fit. Thanks. Please post the artistsongtitle here.
Evanescence : All of Me
Exactly what you described (plus some piano)
[url=http://www.pixelcorps.com]Pixelcorps[/url]

Hundreds of movie making links: [url=http://www.jushhome.com/AmMoviePort]Amateur Movie Portal[/url]
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

immortal is also a good slow song by evanescence :)

[Edited on 21-11-2003 by mark_essex_87]
[url=http://www.downfallband.co.uk]Downfall Band[/url] < Now With 2 Songs! ;)
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

keep it slow
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

I was just listening to Hell Song by Sum 41. It reminded me that in American Pie, the sad bit when Stiffler realises he is a jerk, and he decides to o whats best for his pal, and buy some flowers, that song plays. The song is really upbeat, but it still does the job.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Depending on what kind of movie and scene, I'd think Craig Armstrong's "Wake up in New York" could be suitable.

Regards,
Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Umm. Check out The Perfect Storm sounktrack, great things by James Horner, most of it is the mood you are looking for especially once you are towards the end of the soundtrack.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Rico

Post by Rico »

"Choral Ending" (another one by Craig Armstrong from his album "As If To Nothing") could be very suitable, again depending on the scene.
That said - Barber's "Agnus Dei" or "Adagio for Strings", essentially the same music but the former is a choir piece (used in "Platoon", on the beach). These are very moody IMHO...

Regards,
Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah, you could do what foxwood said Just make sure that you dont use the music from lotr that everybody knows is from lotr
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

If your local library has Cd's check out and view the classical section. My library allows you to listen before checking out and you can find alot, i mean really good stuff
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Themovieman44 wrote:If your local library has Cd's check out and view the classical section. My library allows you to listen before checking out and you can find alot, i mean really good stuff
...that's copyrighted...

Although this doesn't even really matter if you're not selling it or anything. Regarless, still give the musician(s) and composer(s) credit.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

i have some classical music actually, i may try it as well
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

well duh paul come on, of course its not like you are gonna rip the person off, you gotta give them credit it's not like we are making a profit off of what we make, well most of us at least. What did you ask me the other day???? in stagecraft?? You asked isnt it illeagal to use this music and i said no they arent making a profit.
Rico

Post by Rico »

This always come up, doesn't it?
Is it illegal to use other's music in ones own production... I guess it depends on what country You live in, but basically yes - it is illegal to use music that isn't free (for instance mp3s put on a website where it explicitly says that they are free to use for this or that purpose). Even if You make non-profit movies, I think it is usually illegal to use copyrighted music if You publish the movies in any public way (web-sites is one example), but since it is non-profit, no one will usually care about it, even if "they" find out about it. At least this is my conclusion after reading about it on several forum...

It is also worth noticing tht if You're entering film-festivals, they quite often demands "proof" that You have the rights to use the music included in Your movie.

Regards,
Rico
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

good point Rico
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Themovieman44 wrote:well duh paul come on, of course its not like you are gonna rip the person off, you gotta give them credit it's not like we are making a profit off of what we make, well most of us at least. What did you ask me the other day???? in stagecraft?? You asked isnt it illeagal to use this music and i said no they arent making a profit.
First of all, excellent example of a run on sentence. Second, nice capitalization...

Now that I'm past the grammar, I can move on (hoping that that tidbit inspired you to put forth a little effort whilst typing). Actually, many people aren't trying to make a profit, but rather, would like to be reimbursed for the money they spent making it. This will then enable them to fund their next film, and so on. At least that's my feeling on the matter. Others on here make documentaries and promotional videos for profit. What will this profit be used for? To fund their next movie. So, it's kind of a cycle... sort of...

Stagecraft? Yes, I was saying that it would be illegal to use copyrighted music without permission, and make a profit. In all the years, I've never heard of our school putting on a free performance. So it was my assumption that there would, in fact, be a fee to view the performance. Now, seeing as how there was no profit being made, then no, it wasn't illegal.

Oh, and one more thing. You may want to quote people (when necessary), just to clarify who you're talking to, and what about.

Gah...
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

okay sure paul good point, you got me there
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

There are exceptions to copyrights: Permission for use of the music can be obtained from certain bodies (such as Performing Rights Society), whereby they collect the royalty, and supposedly distribute the funds to artists holding said copyrights.

This is how live performers are able to sing what would be seemingly copyrighted songs, and "get away with it". They actually subscribe to said body. Effectively, having background music in a factory or shop, or even telephone music on hold should come under their jurisdiction. I believe that my TV show would also fall into this category, although that's something I'm still checking out. As far as you lot go, I wouldn't worry about copyright if you're just adding some music, and the finished piece is for your own entertainment. However, the moment you publically broadcast your work (Say as a download on the internet), or sell your work (like on a DVD for instance), you're breaking copyrights, and need to start looking into permissions where applicable.
Moderating behind the bushes!