Human to Dummy Transitions

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

TommyPollock

Human to Dummy Transitions

Post by TommyPollock »

There are a few effects used in Identity (but I'm going to be as least specific as I can so I don't spoil it for the insane people who haven't seen Identity yet) in which people are hit by cars. It is pretty violent, so I am assuming they use dummies. Now, just before the accidents, the actors are talking and moving, so I was wondering how they make the transition from actor to dummy for the running over.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Most of the time, it is a different shot. But cut so well you hardly notice it. Few times they use digital creation like in Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down. Another good trick you could use is where you show the main actor, pan the camera onto another person (audience distraction), and pan back onto a dummy where the main actor just was. So with quick timing, you can make a near flawless transition!

Robocop has a part like that where the bad guy is hit by a car.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

here's a classis example of this effect. They say that they had the camera in the same place and compare the footage until it was exactly in position.

http://www.anatomorphex.com/FX209.html
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

Maybe having 3-4 layers. One with a back plate, one with the car moving alone, one with the actor and one with the dummy being hit. Combine them all and at the momment the car hits the dummi, "turn off" the layer with the actor and use the one with the dummi.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

you'd still need to have the dummy lined up perfectly with the actor, even if you used a blue screen