shotgun squibb

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

the_satanic_COokie

shotgun squibb

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

OK, I'm trying to make a scene where a guy breaks a zombie over by jamming the shotgun in his stomache and then blows a hole in the zombie.
BASICALLY all i need for the effect is a GIANT Squibb or something for the zombies back to blow off...but I'm at a loss I have ZERO ideas on how to do this.
I do compressed air squibbs all the time, thats easy, but this is insane because i want it to be like a foot and a half wide and tall (the wound).
ANY IDEAS would help
THankya
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Another way of doing squibs (non-explosive) is to take a condom filled with fake blood, tape in under the actors shirt, and superglue a washer with fishing line tied to it to the condom. Run the line out from under the actors shirt through a hole and off-screen. When it is time to set it off tie the line to a long stick (or just leave it on the fishing rod) and have someone off camera whip the stick back as hard as they can. Done fast enough the washer won't be seen leaving the shot, and the blood bag will burst open quite satisfiningly. (Not so mugh a spray as a gooey spurt.) This done with a full sized ballon of blood and a heavily scored shirt worn by the actor (so the blood doesn't just seep out, but spray out) should provide the effect you're after.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Pop a balloon in front with the shotgun!
the_satanic_COokie

pop a ballon what in the hell are you talking about?

no..look

http://www.boomspeed.com/stan_cook/bewm.JPG

There, that is the effect I'm going for.
I already got the shotgun blast covered
and the soundeffects and everything, i just dont konw how to make his back explode.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Load up the actor's back with the condom squibs. Maybe 15 of them. Make every length of fishing line exactly the same length. When you yank on the stick, they should all "detonate" at the same time, giving a large eruption of blood and gore. You may want to consider filling the condoms with blood AND other "gore-like" things (tomato chunks, flesh, etc.) for a varied texture in the gore.
Erm... yeah...
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

I'g going to assume you don't want to use explosives, since that much would be unnnaturally dangerous... I can't come up with anything better than what BrownCow said. I just want to say that bits of sponge are my tried-and-true bits of flesh. They're cheap, and they look really good!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
the_satanic_COokie

would the fishing line be very visible and obvious??
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Not at all. I've used the effect myself a ton, and the fishing line has never been seen. Although it may become apparent when you've got 15 of them coming from your actor. Just to a test to see, although I don't think it will pose too much of a problem.
Erm... yeah...
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Load up the actor's back with the condom squibs. Maybe 15 of them. Make every length of fishing line exactly the same length. When you yank on the stick, they should all "detonate" at the same time, giving a large eruption of blood and gore. You may want to consider filling the condoms with blood AND other "gore-like" things (tomato chunks, flesh, etc.) for a varied texture in the gore
Like I said...
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I sounded to me like he was taking credit for my advice, not to get in a screaming match, I supose condoms would work better though, not a bulgy as a ballon. Whataya mean state the obvious, I think the repition of my post would be stating the obvoius.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

alright we cool.

But yeah the condoms work better than the balloons which goes to show, safe sex isnt safe!
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

The concept of condoms filled with blood is somewhat terrifying! LOL But they would work better than a ballon.
Last edited by UFProductions on Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

If they encouraged teens to wear balloons instead of condoms, there wouldn't be a sex problem! :lol:

Use unlubricated ones. The string and washer idea may work well. Make quick cuts to make it less obvious and try to see if you can attach multiple condoms to a string, that may help it to be less visible. But it'd have to be a Grand tug!
budgetguy

Post by budgetguy »

OK i got an idea which isnt tested, but could work well and have no explosives.

Basically its combing the compressed air idea and the balloon filled with blood idea together. Hide a balloon under the back of the persons shirt(hopefully it wont be too bulgy) then fill it with blood, almsot to bursting point. then in the hole where u are supposed to knot it, place the hose from one of them compressed air pumps filled with blood everyone always talks about. this way the balloon is half filled with blood and the hose is also filled. now when u release the air, the blood will all be forced into the balloon, and when it reaches bursting point all the blood will fly out at the same time! add some some holes in the back of the shirt so there are concentrated gushes of blood through there.

i think it may work, if anyone tries it please tell me how it goes.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Maybe even try the thin, party shaping balloons to hide them easier. And the best tape to use is the clear packing tape, any attempt to pull it off will go "pop!"
The_General

Post by The_General »

ok I just thought of this you could use this ballon idea but instead of using this ambitous string idea ur actor could puncture the 'ballon (or whatever)' with a thin piece of flexible metal rod wrapped tightly in plastic or maybe even in a drinking straw. OR you could even put a small fire cracker taped on the out side of the 'ballon' that would definatly creat the bang 'What if i accidently do blow my actors backout?' i hear you ask just put thik cloths on him. Thank you for reading
the_satanic_COokie

ok my friend had the best Idea that I've heard so far.
Lemme share it with ya.

we'll make a standard issue compressed air squibb.
but at the end of the hose
we'll attach some pvc pipe, small pvc pipe.
ONTO which we'll attache several "Y" fittings.
it'll be kinda like a spiderweb fo "Y" fittings.
then we'll cap each one
and drill holes in the front of the pipe so that are all facing outwards.
its like 12 squibbs in one
We'll try it
I'll take pics
if it works...it could be awesome
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

If thats what you do I'd fill it with as much blood as physically possible, and pressurize the bottle to the point where you fear for your life. Look forward to the pics
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Compressed air won't really hurt you for the most part. But when you start using mechanical devices to pressurize, then be scared.
the_satanic_COokie

http://cookie.moonside.org/shotgun.WMV

Hey well we rigged this thing up in about 10 minutes. Cost me bout 5 bucks.
this is just a compressed air squibb on a larger scale.

this model has some prollems BUT when i get the final version together i'll host pictures and stuff.

I think this is gonna work
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Looks great so far. That challege is, how well does it work on its side?
the_satanic_COokie

yeah thats the problem.
BUT, we've already gota good fix for it.
I'll test it out this week, if not then this weekend.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I think if you plugged up all of the little holes with some sponge that would soak up the blood (So you can't see them when they get blasted out)you would be able to fill the whole system to the top with blood, and it would stay in while the actor moved.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

you cold change it so you shoot a zombie and use a bb gun to burst the condoms/balloons
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
the_satanic_COokie

well it is stuffed with sponge
right now waht we have to do is break the main hose off into a "Y" fitting and then we'll run the two hoses into either side of the circle.

The problem we have is that when it is upright the air doesntt push the lower squibb chutes out, so this will evenly dispurse the air.

WE're also cutting smaller holes inthe squibb for added pressure.

I'll do this as soon as i can .

Keep ya posted