triple backflip

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

dennismv

triple backflip

Post by dennismv »

hey there

I am looking for a way to tape a triple backflip.
The steps are as such:
* I stand with both feet on the ground
* I jump up and do the 1st backflip on the rise
* do the 2nd one at the top of the jump
* do the 3rd one on the way down.
* land on the ground with both feet.

Other details:
While doing the backflips I need to hold a small stick-like object with both hands, i.e. a flexible (rubber) stick is probably best.
There should be trees in the background to give a feel that this was done out in the woods.
Just to add, I feel that this is pretty much impossible to do in real life.. I guess that's why the video trickery :)

I don't know if I will be able to pull this off in the best possible way, so here are some thoughts on the quality of the stunt:
I don't want the stunt to look too cheesy or obviously fake. That's one thing to avoid. I will probably settle for reactions like "well, I can see that it's not real, but it's pretty well done". Ideally, I want the stunt to look real and reactions to be of type "how the heck did he do that". That is, even that it is really impossible to do, I want to make the stunt look as if it is possible.

Where I am at now: I'm currently practicing to do a single backflip, yet haven't done one yet. I have a back yard where I can film the stunt at and I have a backyard-type 15' trampoline, which may or may not help.
Stunt videography is a new area for me really. I will probably qualify as a beginner. However, I am ready for the possible challenges that I may face with this stunt.

So, to summarize,
* I have some non-professional backyard equipment -- trampoline, some regular ropes. I don't know that this will help me much though.
* some budget if necessary,
* and looking for a way to tape this without much hassle and don't have much clue as to exactly how and as to what I will need. Can you help ?
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

Look to Kung-fu films for the answer grasshopper.
I would just film three seperate flips from different angles and cut them together. Also film the lanch and landing sequences.
Also, if you have some time, check the local gymnastics centers for adult classes. We have on around here where they run once a week at $10 CAD per session. They might be able to help with ideas as well.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

grasshopper ? haha
if I do 3 flips from 3 different angles though, won't it look fake ?
i.e. like MTV style editing with a cut to something else every second and you can't really follow what's going on.
I'm not sure if I visualize it the way you've intended to. If viewers can readily identify this as a triple backflip with no significant doubts, then this may be an option.

However, for my purposes this should have a "no cut" feel.
Perhaps I should go to a gymastics center and see what they can do for me.
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

If ur in a wood couldn't u be flipping between the trees? Then u could do a shot of the flip going onto and off the side of the tree.
i.e. camera zoom in on tree, sees you jump to the tree from out of shot, cool pause whilst you push off again in a flippy style (probs on2 a matress) - just film 2 shots going 2 and from trees (suggest 1 going right 2 a tree, next going left to a tree). then you could do a dramatic kung-fu landing...

suggest lots of screaming and maybe speed the motion up a lil if u can't do it fast enough in real life.
just a thought m8.

(oh ye as 4 the kicking, is this a headshot?)
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

Also, if you have some time, check the local gymnastics centers for adult classes. We have on around here where they run once a week at $10 CAD per session
Where do you live?????? I´m from P.R. and a single PRIVATE class is $25.00 USD!!!!!! I´m a gymnast and it´s impossible to do such stunt without ropes. that´s why we have to make roundoffs to gain heigt in order to make multiple flips in the air. It´s possible (but difficult) to make them forward but not vertical as you wish.

DON´T PRACTICE IN THE BARE FLOOR, YOU CAN LAND IN YOUR HEAD AND GET PARALIZED. Even pro gymnasts get paraliced from bad falls.

Ikydo (martrial arts) classes are a good choice for learning how to fall correctly.

The rig you might need to use is something like this.......

I have some other LOOOOOOOOOONG posts about safety rigging, check them, they will help you a lot to clarify things up.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Stunt double! Get someone who has a similar build to you from a local gym to do it for real. Dress them up as you'd be dressed, and style their hair to look like yours. For the cost of the harness equipment that you may only ever use once (With no training), I'm sure someone would be happy to help for a few hours! Their 5 mins of fame!

Wirework is not as easy as it may appear, plus you hve to start keying everything out afterwards!
Moderating behind the bushes!
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

thanks!

It looks like it may be less trouble to go to a gym like people've suggested, or perhaps a circus and do it there.
The wire rigs look like just what I need, yet I don't know if I'll be able to set them up safely outside.
With proper setup I'll be able to do it without a stunt double.
So maybe a local gym is best, if they'll agree to help me out :)
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

Ivan Speilberg wrote:
Where do you live?????? I´m from P.R. and a single PRIVATE class is $25.00 USD!!!!!!
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It's a smaller gym, and they only hold adult classes if there's a minimum of 5 people per session.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

I have no idea, but then again I wouldn't be having my characters in the movie so something like that, so it doesn't really matter to me. Hmm...well....no.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...