WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Epsilon wrote:I got some leggings off eBay! lol

Hey, I'll try to find that Schematics link for ya.

EDIT:

Oh my... it has been pruned out! That thread was so unsung, nobody took me seriously! I'll find it again one day.
Hes serious, I saw pictures
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I know I'll be a Forum Master at 2500 posts... some way to go yet.

Here's a photo of the leggings I bought yesterday.

Size 3R if anyone cares to know...
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

Hi, I've read all 39 pages of this thread, and think you all have some very neat ideas. I am also making a WWII, about the 101st, before you start your comments on that, I'd like to say that I thought of doing a movie on the 101st since well before I even saw BoB. Here are some pictures.

My M1A1 so far:

Closest thing I could find for airborne pants in Australia (They will do I suppose):

Thanks for all your tips and ideas, you have expanded my view on creating this movie.

PS. I'm also an amateur game designer working on a WWII game, any skills (advanced C++ is most needed) would be greatly accepted on the development team (sorry to get off topic).
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Col.Sahb wrote:Hi, I've read all 39 pages of this thread, and think you all have some very neat ideas.

PS. I'm also an amateur game designer working on a WWII game, any skills (advanced C++ is most needed) would be greatly accepted on the development team (sorry to get off topic).
Somebody has a lot of time :roll:

I know C++ , don't think I really have the time to help with a game though, althougth I have done C++ as well as Level design work on games before.. unfurntly the project lead gave up which is also why I don't work with people from the internet, well at least not without getting paid.
Sigs suck a**.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Try narrowing the clip on that Thompson, its a little too wide. Good start on it though, I'd like to see a finished product.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Welcome to the WW2 Thread!!! (See? Someone admires our work here!)

I don't think the clip should be as much narrower as it should be longer, comparing it to the grip.

Tell us about yourself a little and what kind of film you are making. I'm sure if you ever need some ideas for props and what-not, we're always here to provide some insight! :)
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

Thanks for the advice guys, the problem with that though is i will probably have to fill in part of the slot for the clip (its removable) or, as Epsilon said, to make it longer, which would probably be easier to do, and I do agree with him (thanks, but no thanks UFP) due to how thin it looks on camera (I think this was just a bad photo). Anywho, I've been making a simple Mk II Frag Grenade model.

Heres how to do it:

Materials: 3-4 egg cartons (the ones with 12 eggs in them <with the little cardboard bevels/lumps seperating the eggs.>),

strong cardboard tube (I suggest cutting down a kitchen roll in size, toilet rolls don't work too good),

Stiff cardboard,

PVA glue,

Paint,

Masking tape,

Some sort of ring the size of one on a grenade pin,

Pipe with one end closed.

To make it:

1. Use this pic as a guide. Cut the cardboard tube down to roughly this size.

2. make 6 3cm cuts down the top of the tube all spread out equally. Do the same to the bottom.

3. Scrunch the flaps in so they form a cone shape, but make sure there is an opening. Use masking tape to hold the cone in place. Do this to the other end.

4. Cut the lumps off the egg cartons, then GLUE them around the cardboard roll as shown in your guide picture (I made the mistake of using masking tape instead of glue) and let it dry. Use a piece of spare dowel or a stick to poke through the centre of the roll and suspend it in the air to dry, making sure your 'shrapnel' does not fall off while it is drying. It should be ok after about 30 mins/1 hour.

5. When it is dry enough, place the pipe with one end closed in through the centre of the grenade with the open end facing the top of the grenade. Make a box out of cardboard the size of the one in your guide picture (the one holding the trigger) and make a trigger like shown in the picture. Attach them and the ring as shown. Make sure the box is removable so you can access the pipe. *NOTE: In order to make the piece of pipe serve its purpose (purpose shown in the end of step 7 :wink: , make a little hole in the top of the box on top of the grenade, making sure there is a clear path to the opening of the pipe underneath.

6. You can either use papier mache or just PVA glue to cover the grenade (I just used PVA because I thought the papier mache would make the distinguished shape a little too bulky and hard to see). If you are just using PVA though, remember to blow the glue in uncovered spots so it doesnt all settle and dry in one area. Make sure the hole in the box is not covered and that the box is still removable! Let it dry on the stick again (Make sure you don't have anything valuable underneath, the glue will drop onto it and wreck it.

7. Paint it according to your guide picture, and voila, you have a sexy looking frag grenade! Hey, it may not look 100% real but it beats painting a small pineapple and using that :d. All right now, the purpose of the pipe! Pull the box off, put a little bit of flour or simular white powder in. This is so that when its thrown, the flour trails, looking like smoke from the fuse burning off. This is very effective for wide shots.

Enjoy!

Sahb.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

I just saw Saints and Soldiers last night, it was very good. :D

where does everyone get their Steel german helmets from??? All the ones here in Australia are like $150 - $1000 each! (no, I didnt put an extra zero there!) :(
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

Wow, somebody likes wwII a little TO much
"TO"?

40 pages of WWII stuff here, you guys all posted it...

But yeah I am a WWII freak :D

NaziSentry, pity you aren't in Sydney. Big shop here with heaps of old army gear.
Tell us about yourself a little and what kind of film you are making. I'm sure if you ever need some ideas for props and what-not, we're always here to provide some insight!
Its about some guys in 101st, starts at the jump. The main character learns not to befriend fellow soldiers, because many of them are killed around him - for him. He ends up doing the same for one guy at the end. Basically about the tragedies of WWII, as always. Our friend owns a helicopter - keeps it in his backyard (Hes a millionare) so we are gunna see if we can get some aerial shots! I'm looking forward to it. I just wish I could get this script writing & prop making over and done with so we can shoot it. We found a location about an hour away that is just like 100% Normandy. We went on a real sunny day to check it out, but I'm planning to do most of the shooting on cloudy days. I'll post the pics we took of the place ASAP.

I'm looking for some 101st airborne patches, only need about 4.

Cheers.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/buletz/proudmandownsig.jpg[/img]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hmm, it seems impractical to build a frag grenade when many places sell inert ones for $10 each.

Oh wow, you got a Normandy in Sydney! I would very much like to see some locational photos of this place. Don't try to skim through the storyline fast. Take your time on it. Nothing can hurt a film more than a bad story. Especially with WW2, make sure you double check every sequence to be as close as you can to history. It is a great injustice to world history if you just want to make a killing film.

Are you planning to create German concrete bunkers?
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

NaziSentry wrote:I just saw Saints and Soldiers last night, it was very good. :D
They released it in Australia? Now I'm not the only one who's seen it. Well I've seen it three times though.
@seanbagley
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

they should release it in the UK
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

hmmm, 13lade, it would be "TOO much", not "TO much"
Hmmm I did not mean it in context of spelling :)

Basickly Ie du not cair howe u spel. :lol:

German bunkers are a possibility, but I dunno how we are gunna do them. I suppose we could build the whole thing out of styrofoam, so that way we can use my bullet hit idea. To see how I do that, go here:
http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/view ... c&start=25

The problem with the location is that there are friggen gum trees all over the place (luckily they are out of sight in most camera angles we have been planning).

Frag grenades for $10? I can hardly order stuff over the net, but its good that I found the old military shop. I doubt they will have inert frag grenades though :shock:.

Ok, I have a pic, but it isn't the greatest photo of it. Sorry about the miniature size.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Hey, Col. Sahb,

Does this militaria shop in Sydney have mail ordering or a phone number?
please tell! :D :lol:

Gyro, I saw it 2 times... :( :D
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

I'll see if I can get one for you NaziSentry.

It is decided Epsilon, instead of concrete bunkers (styrofoam, which cannot be disposed of, the dump don't accept it), we are going to fill up hessian sacks with sand and make sandbag nests. Me and the team thought of it today. I know its not very realistic, but it will have to do instead of concrete which we cannot do.

I wanna see Saints and Soldiers! I may go next weekend...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hey, I just bought a nice complete haversack and canteen set of eBay for $32.75.

NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Wonderful.

BTW, My film is about 4 101st Paratroopers who are assigned to hold a critical position to stop enemy tanks (there will be NO tanks :D) and scouts.

And they wont have haversacks :( not big enough budget.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The paratroopers didn't wear haversacks after the very early war. The mussette bag was the paratrooper standard, and those tend to be cheaper, by the way! Although, they sometimes charge a fortune for one because I see people using them so much today as trendy book bags.
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

So many Airborne movies... I think I did make an excellent point back there... lol
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I3lade203 wrote:back onto topic now... epsilons got some pretty cool gear he found on ebay.. he will probably post it sometime today
What the heck are you talking about? You guys are so damn malsighted up with spamming our poor WW2 thread, you don't even see anything that IS related to WW2. Which if you had actually been trying, you would have noticed that I DID put up the photos of the gear I got. :evil:

You keep saying keep on topic, while you are the one most persuing this silly nonsenseful posting!
spoonstudiosintl

Post by spoonstudiosintl »

Where do you get the scratch to fund all of your productions?
CEO, Spoon Studios Int'l
[url]http://www.cafepress.com/spoonintl[/url]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Me? Believe it or not, I hardly spend pocket change on a production. I fail to understand how you guy talk about spending thousands of dollars. My props are usually constuction myself. Not everything has to be authentic. Look at Saving Private Ryan. They probably spent less than $100 on each uniform in the film. The only things that were truely authentic were the helmets (most of the time).

I naturally collect surplus and junk like that, but I don't go all out just because I am making a movie. I use what I have, build what I need with what I have. Like I've said before, I haven't spent more than $50 to make a particular film.

However, if I aim to go for festival winning, then I gather a group together and we'll do car washes. You can get a couple thousand in a Saturday afternoon, all you need are girls in bikinis. :)
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Look at Saving Private Ryan. They probably spent less than $100 on each uniform in the film. The only things that were truely authentic were the helmets (most of the time).
Uh... what? I'm sorry, you're have to retype that, it must have gotten garbled. It seems like your saying SPR had non-authentic uniforms. Now, I recognize the Germans sometimes had some funny things with their uniforms (nothing "bad" per say, just funny), but what was nont authentic about them?
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

They had a costumer (more than one :roll:) who made the uniforms for them.

bad_karma - is that a REAL M1 Garand? :?
Last edited by NaziSentry on Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I just saw a strange wwII film, called the bunker. Came out in 2001, DONT SEE IT!
Sigs suck a**.