Is my understanding of Motion Tracking correct?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Is my understanding of Motion Tracking correct?

Post by Vamp »

I have AE 5.5 but I'm getting 6.0 Pro soon, I've never actually used the MT in either of them, are they pretty much the same? Is my understanding of the MT process correct?

1. You have a clip of a guy walking

2. You have a picture of a halo against an alpha-channel background so just the halo comes through.

3. You put the halo picture on the layer above the guy walking clip

4. You go into the MT, select a spot just above the guys head, and track it.

5. After tracking you assign the halo layer to the traced layer and the halo will automatically be above the guys head and move with him... Is this right?

Is this all that MT can be used for? Is MT and Camera Tracking/Matching different things totally?

Can I select how much of a clip I want tracked, or will I have to trim my clip down to the part I want tracked, how big of a difference is there between 5.5's tracker and 6.0 Pro's?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

wouldn't it be easier to just do it frame by frame? and then skip some frames and cheat a little XD
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

4. You go into the MT, select a spot just above the guys head, and track it.
Actually, it's better to track a feature ON his head (like and eye for example) then use an offset to define the position of the halo.

Is MT and Camera Tracking/Matching different things totally?
Yup. They're different.
Motion Capture is for tracking object (character) motion in 3D, and camera tracking is also a 3 dimentional technique. AE's tracking feature is strictly 2 dimentional.
You can use it to stabilize a shaky shot and there is also ways that you can use a four point track to match a layer onto a wall or doorway, etc. with stretching to match the perspective/position of the four tracked corner points. It's covered faily well in the manual so you can read up on it when you get 6.0 Pro.

Can I select how much of a clip I want tracked
Yes. It pretty much works the same as setting the In/Out points of a clip.

Have fun.