Winmorph?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jikelly

Winmorph?

Post by jikelly »

I'm looking at trying to emulate an effect which I saw in a Bjork music video as directed by Michel Gondry...

The effect makes the camera appear that it is moving round the subject and following her in one shot for the whole video. It is clearly done by morphing one static shot into another into another into another....

Having played around with Winmorph I realised that perhaps it's a little more difficult than I anticipated, does anyone know of any resources which might help or have any pointers.

My project is hopefully going to feature the morphed footage as a background [with no subject] with 2d characters over the top. I am fairly competant with premier and photoshop but other than that my experience with effects is fairly minimal.
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

I haven't seen the video but if you want the person to stay "on stage" all the time, you'd better key him/her :P
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
jikelly

Post by jikelly »

Sorry perhaps I wasn't very clear...

The character will merely be an [hopefully] animated 2d character composited into the forground. There will be no subject in the raw footage.
The morphed footage will only be used as a background. I know it sounds a little artsy but I think it'll look quite cool.

Has anyone had a play with morphing in general? Are quality effects easy to obtain?
KeiserSniTT

Post by KeiserSniTT »

can't you get a little part of the music video or some images because i don't understand what you mean... and i dont think i'm the only one...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Can you link to the vid?
Sigs suck a**.
jikelly

Post by jikelly »

http://www.bjork.com/videogallery/watch ... ize=medium

I think the same effect can be acheived by morphing one s*** into the next into the next. I'll shoot it without the subject and then as I said key the character in later.

Sorry If i'm being vague it's very much only an idea in my head, but I like to know that I'm going to be able to acheive the effect I want before I put pen to paper so to speak.
jikelly

Post by jikelly »

ooops random obscenity... shot would be the word I meant
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

u would probably need a computer controlled camera to effectively morph the background shots
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

I think it's a lot of CGI in that video, if you're attempting to make something like that, you ought to be good...
I don't really get what you're looking for, you say something like morphing, but I don't think there's any morph at all in the video..
It's either 3d or shots taken from a helicopter..
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
jikelly

Post by jikelly »

I mean the bit at the very beggining of the video where the 'camera' would appear to be moving almost as if from a static shot then stopping momentarily before moving to the next one.

I think a similar effect could be acheived by [obviously on a tripod] taking said shots and morphing one into the next. Obviously it will be different to the effect acheived in the video but I believe that if I morph between enough shots it will be quite fluid [even though it will obviously distort between the shots].

So noone has ever played with morphing before then? I hear it can also be used to emulate bullet time? I saw a couple of videos linked from this site which looked quite good, has noone else tried it [with reagrds to the morphing]?
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

I've tried morphing, but I'm not very fond of it..
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Morphing can be very helpfull indeed
Sigs suck a**.
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

to me there are few artifacts of morphing at all... it looks to me like overly stabalized footage with some morphs betweeen camera movments. the opening shot is from a copter and stable when bjork comes into frame the camera zooms morph to another camera movment overly stabalized and also the time has been remapped to get the jerky camera movment some time later in the clip it appears that the shot has been scaled and moved by computer to get the moves with apparent no change in the perspective... quite ingenious thats how i would do it anyway. the morphing is only done to tie each shot together i guess because morphing all of that there would be alot of artifacts and rotoscoping going on.

I have quite alot of experience with elastic reality possibly the best morphing proggie out there... if you need help with morphing PM me.