Sponsoring Films

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

I'm with I3lade on this. Even we find it hard to get funding for our films and we're not kids and have a decent back catalogue.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Blade, you do realize that low budget filmaking is.....

Low Budget Filmmaking: 50-200k
Micro Budget Filmaking: 20-50k
Ultra Micro Budgget Filmaking: Under 20k

You do realize that a high budget film is 1,2,3 millon dollars right.

Anyways, even if you spend no money you should do films in the mean time.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thank you movieman, a lot of these people consider 200$ low buget and what i'm doing high buget, so I never dare use the words low buget for my film here.
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What does one call my films costing maybe $20 in all? :D
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

You can work wonders with $100
Last edited by Themovieman44 on Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

The movie isn't even probably going to be started for at least a year. So we'll have plenty of time to work things out. And Blade, I have no problem with getting "no" for an answer.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Themovieman44 wrote:Me and Browncow, on more than one production spend over $100.....trust me....it will be lowbudget even if you spen $1000.

Of course it will.. but to a lot of people on this site 1,000$ is a lot.
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Directors never allow the word no! Control your crew and get done what you need! Sure, people may hands out no's left and right, but pure determination will get you where you want to be.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah, you don't need to spend a lot to make a good film, but some peoples problems is they are trying to make high buget things low buget, and sometimes that just dosn't look right, people should use what the have , not try and be something they can't achieve without proper costumes ( Eg stormtroopers from starwars )
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Blade, this is like the 30th time could you please not speak when you don't know something. I am not after you I am just annoyed that this forum is going to hell due to spam. Please...only post if you are going to be helpful.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I'm repsonding to your comment in my own natrual way, in a way I am trying to help people by hopeing they will actually read my post, and learn to make films with what they have rather then try and create a million doller production for 300$.
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Well....Mr. High Budget film!!!!! To let you know, some people can't afford to make an expensive film. Some people are out here just making films because they love to do it...and no matter how much money goes into it--It is a masterpiece, to someone. Just because you don't spend money on a film doesn't mean you can't make it great. With a great script, a great Producer/Director relationship, and a good DP you can make anything happen. You can work wonders with a 1CCD camera if you know how to work it. You don't have to shoot film to sell your film. Where there is a film there is an audience.....where there's an audience there is a critic. My point is Blade, we are all here because we love to do one thing....that is make films. Some of us do different things. I am not good behind the camera, writing and producing are my areas, it took some harsh critisism to realize this but I am a better filmmaker for it. To be a critic is alright, hell being a realist is only normal, but we are here to support each other, even if you know the impossible is inevitable, give support, not put downs.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thats exactly why I said not to try and make a high buget film with a low buget money pool.. that way you can enjoy doing films , and have them come out great
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Are you totally ignorant!!!!! JESUS! Just go.....play with a knife, or a gun, or an explosive or something.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Okay.
Sigs suck a**.
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

ARGHHH! I DO NOT CARE if you think I can't get a sponsor! I just want tips on how to persuade them and what kinds of companies are willing to give.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Well here you go....finally some information to help. 10 steps to persuasion

1.) Be courteous, they are always right. Don't question, don't push.
2.) Type a sypnopsis of your film out, a page or two will do.
3.) Have a knowledge of what the company does and what they specialize in.
4.) Tell the company in as many ways, how they can benifit from your film.
5.) Make sure to tell your sponser what their investment will be paying for.
6.)Ask for any suggestions that they have that might better your story.
7.) To make them feel like a part of the creative process before they have even commited makes them feel better about commiting.
8.) The business person you are talking to, has to be the highest official you can talk to.
9.) Be sure to show the person what camera they will be supporting. Be able to tell them all the tech talk and be able to translate it.
10.) Finally......let them have creative control. Let them lead to closing the deal. You keep pushing it during the proposal and it's an automatic turn off.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

While explaining the benefits to business owners offer free advertising like an establishing shot of their business especially if you want a store or resturant scene.
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

You do not necessarily need a 3ccd camera. I mean their great to have and have great quality, but sometimes you have to go in your price range. A 1ccd sony or cannon mini-dv should suffice. I have been using that lately and I know many film students who use that and submitt there stuff into film festivals. Bets thing I can say to do to get that stuff quick is auction some stuff you have baseball cards, elecronics, movies, cds, etc on ebay. Raise up enough to buy a 1ccd. I have a sony dcr trv19 its ok but the depth of field sucks so you need to make up for that in the way you shoot. Lighting and editing in post production can make a world of difference on the quality. So don't get let down when you play it back and are like wow this is sh*t. Also you can buy used 1ccd or 3ccd camera at B & H and many other retailers. Also if you get spare cash after you buy the camera invest in a membership at IFP.ORG they get you discounts on camera, euipment, software, movie tickets, and a lot more. Any Indie Film Maker no matter of age who isn't part of this is stupid. Its great.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

I just sold my trv19 on Wendnesday. I didnt like it too much too compact for my tastes.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Gee Blade, I love how it takes a whole thread for you to tell the kid over and over that people won't sponsor him. It takes one post for you to state your point, and leave it at that. No need for all the bullshit that you feel obligated to toss at people trying to find good, useful information.

Back to the topic at hand: if you're talking a small business in a small town, you're more likely to get money out of them. But, you're going to have to assure them that they are going to at least get something out of it as well. Try investing in a good composer for the film so you can sell it without any legal trouble, as well as send it off to various film festivals. That way you'll at least have some sort of profit you'll be giving back to the people that invested in the film.
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Thanks guys. That really helps.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

SgtPadrino wrote:Gee Blade, I love how it takes a whole thread for you to tell the kid over and over that people won't sponsor him. It takes one post for you to state your point, and leave it at that. No need for all the bullshit that you feel obligated to toss at people trying to find good, useful information.
Are you f*** blind? I never said that he wouldn't get sponsered! I said MOST!! people wouldn't sponser him.
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Gee Blade, I love how it takes a whole thread for you to tell us over and over that you said MOST people won'yt sponser him. It takes one post for you to state your point, and leave it at that. No need for all the bullshit that you feel obligated to toss at people trying to find good, useful information.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Okay.. I'll let people think what they want about my post then, even if it is misinturpreted.
Sigs suck a**.