.php and space....

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

.php and space....

Post by Truggy »

WORD UP YALL....no jk im not just some gangster..haha Anyway...

www.xero01.tk

its all in HTML form, but were going to convert it to .php ...cause we've figured out how....so heres my question. The webspace we have for it, how much does .php take up...like more space? cause im only aloud like so much certain space.....SO thats my question....BIZATCHES...MUUUHAA
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'm not your bizatch, but I'll answer anyway...

PHP probably takes up a fraction more space than HTML, but it really depends on what you're trying to do.

PHP is just extra fancy code that goes into HTML anyway, and a good application of php is it's ability of being able to work SQL databases.

You're literally talking a couple of K extra per page, it'll hardly make a difference.

Word!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Rheborn

Post by Rheborn »

Well, then we will need like a huge hoster or something. Because we get so many hits in one day by the time the hits are past the limit our current site will run out of bandwith completely. Any options? hopefully without a charge would be good.
--------------------------
www.xeropictures.com
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You gets what you pays for!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

well i pay maybe 49 bucks a month for our internet, and have 600 mb available to me whenever
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
Grant

Post by Grant »

my site is huge and tha pages themselves take up may 100kb , downloads over 100mb lol, you will have heaps of space
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Theres no point in converting it to php if your not going to do something specific that requires php. Html is what's ussually used for the basic skelaton of any website, and languages like php, sql, java, ect add on.
Sigs suck a**.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Blade is correct. Why are you using PHP? What effects is it going to add? I only use php on mine for the guestbook and forum
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Hey Truggy, also watch out for this:

Your provider promises you LOADS of SPACE, but are they promising loads of bandwidth to go with it? I know of a loads of provoders who offer eye-watering amounts of space, but very small bandwidth, and as soon as you go over your bandwidth threshold, they'll either pull the plug for what they claim to be "use outside of our terms and conditions", or suspend your account until the following month.

I'm not saying your provider will do this, but I'm saying to double check in case you've overlooked it! Mine simply charge a pro-rata charge according to how much bandwidth I over-use. So far, in the past 6 months, they charged me about £6 for this.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

PHP is a scripting language that it often used to generate html pages. A 2 line PHP script could generate a huge html page. Similarly a 1000 line PHP script code generate a line html page. It all depends what the PHP has been written to do. For dynamic pages (like this one!) PHP is great because each time it is called it provides a page with different content. It is therefore impossible to say whether PHP is bigger or smaller.

As Camclub said the bandwidth will be more of a problem. Also PHP requires the web server to actually do some processing as this can crash a server if it isn't up to the job. This is where you find out how many corners your ISP is cutting :)

This whole site runs on PHP. All the content is stored in an SQL database and the PHP pulls it out, processes it and then returns an html page to your browser.