Quick question about latex...

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

budgetguy

Quick question about latex...

Post by budgetguy »

hey, i see lots of people doing horror make-up where liquid latex is applied directly to the actors face. Is this healthy? not only does latex smell aweful, it even says on the container - not to be inhaled. am i using the wrong latex? thanks for your info.
Father_McGrueder

Post by Father_McGrueder »

I would say it is unhealthy. However, it's probably not lethal unless you dive into a vat of it. I used to do it, but have since sworn off it.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Tell us why you've "sworn off it". interested...
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I think that it really depends on who you're putting the latex make-up on. Many people are allergic to latex. My mom works in the medical field and says that alot of the latex products, (gloves, bandages, IV lines, etc) are changing and being removed because the number of people with latex allergies is increasings. But if you're not allergic to latex she says that you should be fine if its just latex make-up type stuff.
@seanbagley
Father_McGrueder

Post by Father_McGrueder »

pdj wrote:Tell us why you've "sworn off it". interested...
Sworn off placing wet latex on the face, I mean. Mostly, it causes me eye irritation.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

so...i guess a safe test would be to put a latex glove on your hand for an hour- take the thing off and see if you have red marks on your hand which usually indicates an allergic reaction..better your hand than your face.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

If you're allergic to it, you'll know before an hour.

Anyway, I'll bet that for your average joe who isn't allergic to latex, this could only be unhealthy if left of the face for an overly extended period of time. Other than that, don't cover his nostrils, (Obviously) his mouth, or (Obviously) his eyes. Also, dont' get it in his hair.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
budgetguy

Post by budgetguy »

ok thanks for the advice, i'll minimise to use of it to when its essential. funny how u hear about liquid latex being painted on for pleasure, personally i think i'd pass out from the fumes!
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

2nd_Recon wrote: Also, dont' get it in his hair.
the funny thing about that post is on Halloween i had a Vampire head prosthetic i bought off of Hopeworks.com(the banner that occasionally fashes on here) and i put the liquid latex on and some of it got in my eyebrows. I tell you man dont let it touch ANY hair on you cause it hurts like hell to try and get the prosthetic off of your hair (especially eyebrows!!), let alone trying to get the rest of it out of your hair. A lot of you are probably thinking, "thats pretty stupid man" but i will agre on that
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

If you want to know if someone is allergic to latex, dab some on in the crook of their arm. The skin is thin there and they will likely break out in a rash within a few minutes. Make sure and be quick in removing it if they complain of itching or burning.
Liquid latex is fairly safe to use if you are not allergic to it. The smell come's from the amonia in it. It's been used in make-up for decades and there has been very few problems with it. Allergies continue to be a problem, but there are other materials that can be used to simular effect, such as silicones and gelatine.
Incidently, Clancy Brown found out he was allegic to latex while filming Highlander. They had fifteen minute windows in which they would glue on the prosthetics, film his scenes and get the appliances off him.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
october

Post by october »

the smell is ammonia evaporating out of the latex. once it is dry the fumes will go away. if used in a well ventilated area you should be fine... i make latex halloween masks, and appliances, props etc... (in my kitchen) as long as you arent breathing concentrated fumes (open a window) and arent allergic you will be fine. i have put it on my entire face and hands as makeup. let me know if you have any questions and i will try my best to help. ( you should smell it when you crack open a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff, and fill a mold to make a whole head mask...)

here are some things i have made... that is me on halloween...

ImageImageImageImage
"ORGANIZE BEFORE THEY RISE..."
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Aside from the rotten fish smell about it, i have had plenty of latex (foam and liquid) things attached to me. Eg. Darth maul baldcap look here for pics www.geocities.com/jordandautovic/ I made the horns and makeup is AquaColour. So all in all it IS okay. If you don't have allergies. In this pic, you can see the latex is still drying o the 4th horn.

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

HAHAHAHAHA That is hilarious! Darth Maul!
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

HAHAHAHAHA. like you could do better Epsilon. I was 9 at the time.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

hey october really good work there with the masks…just a question...did you make head moulds out of plaster and pour latex in or...?
I've always been interested in how people make these masks at home..

ps-the last one of you reminds me of a zombie in original dawn
october

Post by october »

thanks... first the character is sculpted out of clay, then a two part mold is made using Ultracal30 (a kind of plaster/gypsum cement) then the latex is poured into the mold, (i usually fill it right to the top) allowed to sit for a bit then poured out. this leaves a latex skin inside the mold, when that dries it is peeled out, trimmed, painted, and thats the mask. the appliance was sculpted on a positive cast of my face, so when thats molded it fits my face like a glove... i pre painted it glued it on my face w/ a surgical adhesive, then tried to blend the edges, put makeup on top of everything, and added the blood to the wound...
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

I made a few latex exit wounds using the sculpt with clay/make plaster of paris mold/paint layers of latex in method heaps.

BTW, the last one does remind me of a zombie from Dawn of the Dead! :lol:
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

i like the masks you made dude, they look awsome. where would i go if i wanted to start making some of those myself? website i wise i mean?
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

There are a few websites around, i suggest doing a makeup course. My aunt went on one and learnt SOOOO much!
october

Post by october »

can you sculpt? those were sculpted from scratch.... get a hunk of oil based clay, and try some sculpting. start small, like maybe the size of your
fist or a softball, to see if its something you want to pursue, i know people who were like: "thats so cool i want to do that!" then they went out and spent hundreds of dollars on a kit, books etc. only to find out they couldnt do it, or didnt like it. just my 2 cents. you can buy a couple lbs. of oil clay for a few bucks, try a few sculpts, without spending a fortune. then you could buy a mask kit, or books alittle at a time later down the road.
check out the monster makers book on how to make latex masks, they also sell kits of varying degrees...

www.monstermakers.com
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

Spike_P_2 wrote:i like the masks you made dude, they look awsome. where would i go if i wanted to start making some of those myself? website i wise i mean?
www.latexmaskcentral.com

Good place to start.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.