I'd Like Good Sound For My Movies!

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I'd Like Good Sound For My Movies!

Post by Gyro »

I have a little dinky JVC mini dv camera which I don't think has an external mic port. What is the best possible way to use a microphone, and what kind? Are there any types of microphones that record individually, like without using the camera to plug into?
@seanbagley
Adam

RE: I

Post by Adam »

You could get a DAT recorder and then bring the video and audio back together in the edit.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Well, if you could find just a straight digital recording device that will let you import audio into your comp as a .wav or otherwise, you could overlay that into your footage in post, but I have no idea about any specific device that would fill the bill... i will have to think about this further
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

You could probably rent a boom mic that records independantly of the cam, and then record the audio while filming, but besure to bring a slate board along, so that at the begening of each take you get that nice loud sound spike to match up all of your audio, it will be a pain in the a** to do though.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

This is really what I had in mind, but does any body know of a boom mic digital recorder to purchase?
@seanbagley
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

goggle it man, they are going to be expensive though. You should also look into just renting one.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah. Renting one would be ideal, mabye 100$ a day or something.
Sigs suck a**.
movie_freak2

Post by movie_freak2 »

Same problem. They should of added the dang mic inports. But, I'd say a mini disc recorder. Maybe a Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD recorder. Expensive though :(
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

$100 bucks a day? wow thats a cr** load of mula...wouldnt really be worth it to me...
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
joe

Post by joe »

if you know someone with a camera with a mic input, you could just shoot it with both cameras and use the 2nd camera primarily for audio. youd still have to get a mic though.
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

I use pole made of telescope painting pole (about 5$) and cheap directional microphone Yoga (about 50$) plugged into camera. Quality is good for my needs right now although I could use a sound mixer.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

You can try what we have been playing with and that is a Portable minidisk recorder, and use a shotgun mic. The recorder is light enough you can just tape it to the boom of your setup and go.

Minidisk

Mic
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Still be aware though of recording speeds. I would recomend a MP3 player because it's all digital. If you record with two different recording speeds, the lip sync will be off. Way off.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

You guys are making this too complicated!

Here's the rig we've got. A stereo mic on an improvised boom, plugged into a laptop. You just need a clapper to sync the video and audio up in post. If you have a laptop, I'd say this is the way to go--easy and cheap, not to mention excellent quality.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
BagBoysProductions

Post by BagBoysProductions »

You should buy A nice Condenser/Zoom mike that hooks up to your camera. I have one and it sounds great. And you can build a boom mount for it too.
Josh Beaver
- Writer
- Director
- SFX
- Editor
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I have a little dinky JVC mini dv camera which I don't think has an external mic port.
@seanbagley
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

My advice: better sound = new camcorder. In the long run it would be well worth the investment to get a new camera with a mic input rather than struggling with external sound sources, some of which may be more expensive than the camera itself.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios