Strider Model

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

JMBOWZER5

Strider Model

Post by JMBOWZER5 »

Hi. I am brand new to 3d work and 3ds max and pretty much this site. Here is my first model, and i think its sort of good except for a few minor problems. I am going to be making a short half life movie soon and i thought it would be cool to have a battle versus a strider in it. Most people say how hard 3d is and all but i think i am catching on fairly quick. I have a few problems though. Each different texture is attached to a different mesh (by the way i made all the textures in paint). When I try to attach all the meshes together, some of the textures, like the legs, get all deformed and look horrible. Do you know what I am doing wrong. Also if anybody has any suggestions on the model that will help I am gladly open to everybody. Thanks.
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/1120423015.jpg
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Strider Model

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Well, it looks pretty good for an amateur, but it doesn't really look like a strider when it's standing straight up.

I wouldn't worry about how the textures look, and instead worry about how to get the waking motion down.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
JMBOWZER5

RE: Strider Model

Post by JMBOWZER5 »

Thanks, I have done a few animating tutorials and i don't think that will be a problem. But I know I must be doing something obviosly wrong and am spending all this time trying to figure out what it is. In order to animate it I have to attach everything together to one mesh. Every time i try to attach a textured leg to the head the leg the texture gets super large and looks like squares on the legs. I can't use that in a movie, because I need things to look nice and perfect! Thanks
Father_McGrueder

Re: RE: Strider Model

Post by Father_McGrueder »

JMBOWZER5 wrote:Thanks, I have done a few animating tutorials and i don't think that will be a problem.
Famous last words.

Your model is rather good, but it is too keep in mind that I know little of CGI, favouring physical effects. Perhaps the more technologically-minded members can offer some advice.
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Strider Model

Post by Spike_P_2 »

how do i get a program like 3D max or any of that, do i have to get it off the net?
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Check out www.discreet.com for information. You can download a trial version to play with, but there is no way you can get the full thing free! The commercial version is around $6,000. There are few free programs out there like Blender3d and Lightray if you are interested.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

As far as finished product for a basic (An I mean viciously basic) effect, how does Blender perform? I know it's not anywhere near the calibre of the big names, but can you really make something non-shitty looking with it?
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Job

Post by Job »

A bit like this http://blender3d.com/~bart/siggraph_movie.avi

,and by the way, Blender is almost as good as the big names. The major factor is the animator itself. ;)