How to pull off goin through a wall

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

How to pull off goin through a wall

Post by Spike_P_2 »

Now i know this is a fairly easy stunt (if youve done any previous stunt work) You put up the wall and insert tiny slits, but how can you make something like that look so real that youll feel the actors pain? Im asking because the first shot of my film i get thrown through a wall by my throat. Like, ok i kick the guy and he holds my leg, grabs my throat and spins around slamming me through a wall into the next room of our set, how should i go about doing this? any suggstions are greatly appreciated.
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: How to pull off goin through a wall

Post by UFProductions »

Use the thinest drywall available, then score it on the back so it will break easier, and in the way you want it to. Build a full scale wall as you normaly would using this drywall, and replace the studs in the area where the actor will be pasing thrugh it with balsa wood. Paint it up all nice, roll camera and go to town!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: How to pull off goin through a wall

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Build a basic frame for a wall out of 2 x 4's (minus the supports within the wall) and cover it with a sheet of drywall. Score the drywall in the section that will break through, and scatter the back with talcum powder.

During the fall, add in some debris when the fall takes place. This can be acheived using the following link:

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/nobudge ... neral.html

This may give you additional help:

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/nobudge ... nwall.html
Spike_P_2 wrote:but how can you make something like that look so real that youll feel the actors pain?
Chances are, you probably won't. The general movie-goer has become desensitized to violence and pain in films.
Erm... yeah...
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: How to pull off goin through a wall

Post by Spike_P_2 »

good ideas but i already know about the slits in teh wall, thats a given. and i am pretty sure that dry wall is really cheap to use, or at least the thin kind is. as for the debris links good stuff browncowstudios. I have to do the shot 2 different times. and i hit a metal desk the second time. (ouchness) Not a bad deal tho.
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

lay a matress down, and about 5-10 inches over that lay a thin board that will break easily,hold it by some frame of some sort. then set the camera up right so it looks like your just filming straight ahead and not down. then have the actor fall back or jump into the mattress, they did this effect in freddy vs the ghostbusters :lol: ....
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

As far as making the audience feel the pain, you have to show them something they can identify with. An average person has not been shot, and therefore will not know what the pain is like, however most people have cut themselves at one point in their lives, so knife wounds will often illicit a bigger response from the audience. For example in this scene your actor could slice open the palm of his hand on an electrical box as he goes throuh the wall. I'm paraphrasing a site I read here, if anyone knows the link that would be more helpful I'm sure.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

Foam board and pasta, long thin pasta, it breaks if you look at it hard and makes a lot of flying junk for the cam, and it's realy cheep, you can reset and go again in minuts, make three of them and have them ready to go just keep shooting soon you will get what you want.
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

ok but what are otehr good techniques to going through a wall? and also i get hit by a door and fly back eight feet, how would i pull that off? BTW im the actor doing all of this stuff.
-"V" for Vendetta
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

What do you mean other techniques? You'll have to elaborate before we can. As far as the door thing goes I'd start by scoring the door again so it will break predictably and easily, then use either a simple wire rig, or careful cuts to make it look like you flew back that far. In fact, depending on your weight, two people giving you a good hard shove at the right moment would throw you back that far, just remember to lay down some padding first.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

yeah i knwo what you mean. and the bad part of this is its supposed to be a steel door to a containment tank. It hits i fly and i die. I dont weigh that much at all really, i only weigh around 155 so i can be pushed quite far,lol
-"V" for Vendetta
LucII

Post by LucII »

You'r traveling through a steel door? who the heck threw you? He-Man? A steel door wouldn't break, it would bulge and buckle, and if it did break it sure wouldn't look anything like when a wooden one does. A steel one would like..uhm..shred or something. A more likely thing is that it would come lose of the wall and fall off or land in the room behind it.
Superheroes and evil twins go together like peanut butter and......evil peanut butter!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yeah, the hinges and latch would give way, so you and the door would go flying intact. (The door that is, not you.)
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Grant

Post by Grant »

you would splatter before the door even attempted to buckle lol. I like it
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

I have a friend who did a stunt like this, although it was by accident. When filming they had a guy get shot and fall back. When he fell back he broke a crack in the wall. So we refilmed and had him jump backwards completely through. It looks great. I'll try to get the footage from him.
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

Grant wrote:you would splatter before the door even attempted to buckle lol. I like it
true very true, but my character gets a gash and then a dent in his skull from the door, itll be a fun make up effect. Adn in the way of getting th efootage hunter, id like to see that. do u even have the one where he went through the wall?
-"V" for Vendetta
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The way I see it, you shouldn't have to pull off anything. Just go through the wall!