cheap special effect software?????

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

laxsemaj17

cheap special effect software?????

Post by laxsemaj17 »

Im looking for acheap secial effects software similair to adobe premiere or after effects
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: cheap special effect software?????

Post by Carnage7p »

well if you want to go really cheap alam dv2 can do some special effects, but that should really be a last resort. you cannot achieve the realism with alam dv2 that you can with after effects. you also do not have as much control in alam dv2. check out the website. i think it is fxhome.com but i do not even know why i am suggesting this cause i hate alam dv2. it is just because it is cheap.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

You could do this:
go into Windows Movie Maker, insert video into timeline, now for each 10th of a second take a picture of where you want the effect to be. Once you have all the pictures taken, do the same with your special effect. Now open all the pictures of the special effect and cut out everything around (this only works best with explosions and muzzle flashes unless you want to use Photoshop, then you can have transparent stuff) the effect and make the background white (this is if you are using Bitmap, if you are using Photoshop, use blue or green). Then copy and paste each special effect onto all the pictures you took of your video; once done put them back on the timeline and make sure each one is a 10th of a second. It will not have sound so you may want to paste some on there; also this takes a while, I used to do this for my stop motion films before I got Adobe. This will not cost you anything, but alot of time; but it works!
Job

Post by Job »

Blender is the best free-3D software you can get. Ideal for visual effects.
Knighted

Post by Knighted »

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is what I use, it's not amazing but has some great effects, but you don't have as much control for things like tracking (but you can still do them). you can only get it with their dvd making software i think, but that software is also good.
http://www.sony.com/mediasoftware
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

if u already have photoshop just get adobe premiere elements(its only like $70) you can do a ton of stuff with just those two if u look around a little bit.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
montezumas_revenge

Post by montezumas_revenge »

almdv2, well your right it wasnt that great but dv3 is gonna be a hel of alot better.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

anything with the alamdv label on it will suck. yes dv3 will be better but it still wont be capable of producing effects that someone can watch and actually believe it.
montezumas_revenge

Re: RE: cheap special effect software?????

Carnage7p wrote:anything with the alamdv label on it will suck. yes dv3 will be better but it still wont be capable of producing effects that someone can watch and actually believe it.
dont go bashing a program you obviously have no experiance using, dv2 is fairly primitive yes but if you look at the cinema it can most definetly create effects one can believe in. And I dont see you making effects everyone can believe in either.

We are no budget filmmakers, and most of our effects look cheesy, thats just a fact of life. and just bnecuse alamdv2 can make a better lightsword in 5 minutes than you can make in 3 hours photoshop, doesnt mean you should bash it.

Just wait alamdv3 will shut little twats like you right up.
Nomaden

RE: Re: RE: cheap special effect software?????

Post by Nomaden »

montezumas_revenge wrote:
Carnage7p wrote:anything with the alamdv label on it will suck. yes dv3 will be better but it still wont be capable of producing effects that someone can watch and actually believe it.
dont go bashing a program you obviously have no experiance using, dv2 is fairly primitive yes but if you look at the cinema it can most definetly create effects one can believe in. And I dont see you making effects everyone can believe in either.

We are no budget filmmakers, and most of our effects look cheesy, thats just a fact of life. and just bnecuse alamdv2 can make a better lightsword in 5 minutes than you can make in 3 hours photoshop, doesnt mean you should bash it.

Just wait alamdv3 will shut little twats like you right up.
yup, but you won't feel like you've actually accomplished the effect.

I'm not saying that you should crack adobe after effects, but if you do, you'll get a lot more freedom, and if you're lucky, you'll end up doing the effects on your own :P
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
montezumas_revenge

doingt the effects on your own would be rotoscoping every detail. im sorry but in a real production environment, if 2 things make equally good results, they go with the quicker option.

I mean why would i spend hours trying rotoscope lightsabers in AE when i can do it quicker with equally good results in alamdv2
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

For fun. :P Come on!!! Don't any of you enjoy editing!?
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

laxsemaj17, get a copy of After Effects from Ebay. It'll cost you somewhere around $100, and you won't need any effects software for a long time (unless you're going into 3D work). Try to get 5.0 or later.

I'm not going to talk about AlamDV or equivalent except to say it's basically just "canned" effects. After Effects will give you much more freedom in your effects creation.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
amathyst

Post by amathyst »

Ladies ladies!!!!!Use particle illusion 3 amazingly good and very cheap!Many films use it
'Jinx me something crazy'