dvx100 vs. hd10U

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

cjl467

dvx100 vs. hd10U

Post by cjl467 »

I want to buy a new camera by the end of the year and I'm stuck between the new JVC JY-HD10U and the Panasonic AG-DVX100. I am freaking out on this decision. I know that I can get either camera for around $3000 one way or another, so price isn't an issue, but there's so much else to consider. The obvios difference is that one is HD, the other isn't. But the only use I have for a HD camera is the possibility of converting it to 32mm later (a low pretty low chance), most of my stuff gets seen on regular TVs, so HD is pointless. But with 24fps on the DVX100, what's on TV will look more like film, and with 3 CCD, i guess it still looks decent on 32mm. my main conflict in this decision.
--- but what are the other main differences with these things aside? The other thing is that a format change to HD might confuse me a little, how hard is it going to be to adapt to it? Do I need a new editing program, new capture hardware even?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Get a sony or a Cannon, that would be my advice. Since price is no matter, look at the DVX-2000 from Sony or the XL-1 form Cannon.
cjl467

Post by cjl467 »

not familiar with a "DVX-2000" from sony --- i have shot with an xl1 and it looks sooo artificial, its way overrated, and it's not hand held. neither company offers 24fps option or an economical HD camera, so i've eliminated them both from my decision. has anyone used the dvx100 or the jy-hd10u that could lend me some advice?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Even tho I currently shoot DV on a JVC, go with the panny, Panasonic has generally better optics, I have seceral Panny Super-VHS cams that produce excellent results despite their age.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Originally posted by cjl467
i have shot with an xl1 and it looks sooo artificial, its way overrated, and it's not hand held.
Well you know what they say about bad workmen! :D

How is it not hand-held? It has two separate grips, which makes it twice as hand-held as regular cameras!
iamnothing

Post by iamnothing »

cjl467 wrote:not familiar with a "DVX-2000" from sony --- i have shot with an xl1 and it looks sooo artificial, its way overrated, and it's not hand held. neither company offers 24fps option or an economical HD camera, so i've eliminated them both from my decision. has anyone used the dvx100 or the jy-hd10u that could lend me some advice?
If you have trouble getting a quality shot on an XL1/s, you'll probably have the same difficulty on the cameras you're looking at buying.

I've gotten excellent footage on both the Canon XL1s and Sony PD-150, and from what I've read, the Panasonic is a great little workhorse as well. And I've also taken some horrible footage with the same cameras. It had more to do with things I was doing wrong than the cameras.