A Very Good Thing To Invest In!

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

A Very Good Thing To Invest In!

Post by Vamp »

I don't know how many of you have one, but when I filmed Period One (www.asylumfilms.cjb.net) I had to use the microphone on my camcorder... It wasn't excellent sound quality, but it was very decent. However, I've now bought a 15 Gig Mp3 Player/Recorder which has a port for a mic. It's an Archos Jukebox... Apparently very good. (according to Ign.com) I got it for $185 off Ebay and it retails for around $300+

It can record in CD Quality Sound, I think it goes into the +-200 sound range, CD quality is 128kbit if I'm correct...

It's small, light and can be nicely hidden near the action and pick up all the sound I need... What you guys think? Good Idea for film-making or bad?
death to traitors

Post by death to traitors »

i have thought of getting a mini disk recorder to capture sound i was a little worried of how it would work.. dont want to waste my hard earned money on somthing that could end up being s***
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Acxtually, if you are talking MP3's, CD quality is 320 kbits/s, but 128 is still pretty good.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: A Very Good Thing To Invest In!

Post by Epsilon »

Vamp wrote:I don't know how many of you have one, but when I filmed Period One (www.asylumfilms.cjb.net) I had to use the microphone on my camcorder... It wasn't excellent sound quality, but it was very decent. However, I've now bought a 15 Gig Mp3 Player/Recorder which has a port for a mic. It's an Archos Jukebox... Apparently very good. (according to Ign.com) I got it for $185 off Ebay and it retails for around $300+

It can record in CD Quality Sound, I think it goes into the +-200 sound range, CD quality is 128kbit if I'm correct...

It's small, light and can be nicely hidden near the action and pick up all the sound I need... What you guys think? Good Idea for film-making or bad?
Well actually I don't see any possible way to fit 15 gigs on a minidisk... but maybe times have changed.

Minidisk recordings are compressed at an 8:1 ratio. Now, when you record mp3, your quality is going to sound like cr**, Seriously. It will sound far from CD quality. Trust me, I work with recordings all the time and using mp3s will get you that "compressed" sound. I know I said this in another thread, but your sound recordings may not even match up at all! Personally, I would stick with a shotgun microphone recording separtely into a digital recorder and synchronized via LANC connection. If you are looking for small to hide, wireless mics are getting cheaper and are smaller than a minidisk device. Plus being all digital and no disk, much quieter too!

So, I would say: Bad Idea.

Then again I am a perfectionist and sound quality means everything to me, so it is really your choice! :) Hope this helps!
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I'm using an MP3 Player that records onto a modified Laptop HD, not a Minidisc...
www.neverdead.co.nr
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

128kb/s is the lowest you want to go in bitrate - its the point where the sound is just starting to noticebly be compressed... i stick with 192kb/s+ for mp3's.
[url=http://www.downfallband.co.uk]Downfall Band[/url] < Now With 2 Songs! ;)
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

When editing, you should probably stick to .wav if it is a major part of the film like that, especially if you are going to be applying filters and effects to the audio. MP3 doesn't really stand up to that kind of audio torture, unlike the cleaner wav, which can put up with that kind of editing brutality.

I am not saying it will alsways be noticable, but that is what any sound encoding professional will tell you.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

128kb is just above cassete tape quality, and is less than what your DV camera is capable of.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Wav file are the way to go as they are a sample based format. If you don;t have a separate recording device use and external microphone for your camera.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

If you are going for a professional sounding recorinds, always use wavs. I have a digital sound recorder which I can timestamp via LANC with my camera. That way you can have a seperate audio recording and be able to match in up perfectly in editing. That is the best way to record audio with your footage, although it may be a little more pricey.

Remember, Wavs are your friends! So don't compress the heck out of them! :D
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

what kind of external recording device would you suggest. i have been using my shotgun mic for a while which is great but i'm always looking for ways to make a more professional looking and sounding film. epsilon can you lead me in the direction of thses digital sound recorders?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

There are a number of recorders out there. I haven't seen enough different ones to suggest the best one, although I do use a Roland VSR-880 digital recorder. It is Extremely complicated! Do not get a Roland unless you have TONS of time to waste figuring it out! I would look for a Sony, those will probably be easier and more practical to use. JVC has some nice equipment out on the market, but everyone seems to like a Sony better. Try them out if you can.

You go from the mic into a mixer, then into the recorder. That way you know you your levels are good and you can even add several mics into the mix. For the most part, camcorders compress the H*ll out of your sound! That is why a separate recorder is nice.

I do warn you: It will get messy with cables and electronics all around your set. You will need to take much more care in making sure nothing gets damaged. Preparation will take over an hour! But it is worth the it for the quality.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

ok is this something that i could check out at circuit city or best buy?
Faldor

Post by Faldor »

i just hook my boom straight into my camera CD quality sound AND no sorting out in post :D
"I know you're gonna be right, and you haven't even said anything yet! Oh there you go...I was too slow with this reply, but I still agree with you" - Ornsack
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Carnage7p wrote:ok is this something that i could check out at circuit city or best buy?
I find Circuit City and Best Buy to be exactly the same! Except, they seem to be a little more nicer at Best Buy. Circuit city staff are more helpful though. That is from my experience. Check out both stores, maybe one will have a sale!
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah i checked them out and they are a lot cheaper than mp3 players too.
El Brenty

Re: A Very Good Thing To Invest In!

Post by El Brenty »

Vamp wrote:I don't know how many of you have one, but when I filmed Period One (www.asylumfilms.cjb.net) I had to use the microphone on my camcorder... It wasn't excellent sound quality, but it was very decent. However, I've now bought a 15 Gig Mp3 Player/Recorder which has a port for a mic. It's an Archos Jukebox... Apparently very good. (according to Ign.com) I got it for $185 off Ebay and it retails for around $300+

Sounds good, but for music, I'd need something with more room. My music collection takes up over 35GB at the moment!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Invest in Grant, I am cute and low maintenance
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Grant is cute. But anyone who has seen his films knows that he is not low maintenance! :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

LOL!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Well i do declare :)
Towels42

Post by Towels42 »

Heh heh... I'm always looking for new ways to improve my video and sound quality. I guess I could just purchase a decent video camera for starters. But this MP3 recording doo-da may just do the trick! I could edit these MP3 with Audacity, and I'd be set... Thanks Jesus!

Oh, and where'd you get that roof-top sniper kitty picture, Grant?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What are you talking about? That's Grant! :D
Towels42

Post by Towels42 »

...Uh... How does he type with those little kitty paws?