Video special effects enhancers!

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Video special effects enhancers!

Post by insert_coin »

Now we all know we need some basic editing tools to get the job done... this thread is about those little programs that do stuff that the tools we use every day can't do that just enhance the video that much better. I guess we can include plugins in here too. I just want to know what you guys use ill tell you what i use and maybe we will all pick up some valuable software and info that could help us a great deal.

I will start off with my most important tool in my opinion which is a little program called SteadyHand, It is used to stabalize footage shot by hand and it is the best tool because just the look of a steady shot can make a vid look pro. check out http://www.dynapel.com for more info on it.

Also I use a handy little program called Icarus which isnt made anymore but it is the fastest and best little tracker out there. You can export the motion to After effects, remove moving objects and replace the pixels with the background so you have a seamless steady backplate. It also tracks 3d camera movment excelent for recreating camera movment. it can also export panoramas and all sorts of other cool stuff. i would use other 3d tracking software but the others seem too complicated when this prog can do it so easily.

Particle Illusion man this program is so usefull for little sprite like effects and enhancments to video in areas such as mist smoke and etc that would take hours to render out using a 3d programs particle system.
http://www.wondertouch.com is the companys website i think.

Now for some plugins...
Magic Bullet is kind of a must have for some it is really good at what it does and really helps when it comes to improoving DV chroma footage and etc.

Ultimatte i use aswell for its more advanced chroma features and a matte i usually cannot get from AE i can always get really well matted with ultimatte.

Right now i cannot think of much more i use these little enhancer programs other than morphing software and etc that you only use every so often but what about you any little programs that you just cant live without?
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

premiere?
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

no thats like an editing prog... im talking about little programs floating around that help you do things editing progs cant. like tracking or stabalizing or what not
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Movie Messenger. It's the only way to get the footage from my cam to the computer. Aside from that, I can't think of anything
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

Icarus is still around, it's just not free anymore. The company that makes it used to offer the program to anyone free as long as they were using it for non-profit purposes. But now you have to pay for it and from what I understand, it's not cheap.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

yeah its called pftrack now and is apparently still cheaper than most trackers...
Justin

Post by Justin »

I would say alamdv, but I know a lot of people hate it, but it's pretty good when you have a deadline and you need something fast without making it yourself and rendering it..

I would say Tmpgenc for encoding to mpg(no quality loss, but takes awhile)

virtual dub, for encoding to divx,xvid, etc

thats all I can think of for now.
Austin

Post by Austin »

ive got a nifty prog called dvd decoder, it lets you rip from dvd to your comp, then i use another program called FlaskIt to convert to what ever format that i need. I have use scenes from different movies for some school projects as references... ;) i dont remember what the site is for it, just do a search.
I use some plug-ins called petes plug-ins, there is 42 plugs in the package, and it is free, there is some nice effects in it, check it out...
http://www.petewarden.com/
dare i say it...blender :twisted:
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

WinMorph
Free program for making animated morphs between images.

Voodoo Camera Tracker
Free tool for camera tracking (similar to Icarus)

Free/Cheap CGI Applications
There's a whole list of <$99 CGI programs at the Amateur Movie Portal. Many programs are free.

Explosion Videos
Don't forget that killer library of download-able pyro effects from Detonations Films!

Have fun.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

eww alamdv, (goes and cleans eyes thouroughly)
Justin

f

Post by Justin »

I know it kinda sucks, but when in a bind it can come in handy, especially if you need some little effect for a vid but it's do the following day, it's a lot quicker than using a 3d app for hours trying to make it yourself.

hopefully Alamdv3 will be a lot better.