Lenses and filters

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

budgetguy

Lenses and filters

Post by budgetguy »

i plan to by a wide angle lens for my canon mv6imc, but the official canon lens is about £70. do i have to use this lens or are there alternatives. also what other lenses and maybe filters are useful for filmaking?
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Aftermarket lenses that are compatible with your equipment should work just as well as the Canon ones, and be a lot cheaper. I don't know of any specifically for your camera, buf if there's a Canon one available, there's gotta be another brand making lenses for it. Have a look at Vivitar and Miranda for starters. Also cross-reference the lens and see if it fits any canon optical cameras. If it does, that'll open up a huge range of possibilities.
joe

Post by joe »

a Neutral Density lens is good to have. most higher end cameras have them i think. their purpose is to get a better depth of field on exterior shots if im not mistaken.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

70 pound that sounds cheep, I've only seen those for like 300-400 dollors. Must be looking in the wrong place.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

joe wrote:a Neutral Density lens is good to have. most higher end cameras have them i think. their purpose is to get a better depth of field on exterior shots if im not mistaken.
ND is a filter, used for cutting down light, allowing you to shoot with a higher F-stop, the end result allows some more lattitude in depth of field... but should not be the primary use of the ND.. a graduated ND is a better choice, allows you to shoot on bright sky day, while getting good exposure of the sky, as wella s the action. On a bright day, if you expose for the sky, the action on the ground aill be darker, and if you expose on the action, the sky will bloom out too bright. Graduated ND allows you to cut back on the brightness of the sky by putting the gray half on the sky and then expose everything to a nice pleasant brightness. the gray is optically neatral and will not affect color and the filters are available in several different densities and configurations. If your cam uses the standard 37 mm lens opening, like most consumer level cams, then I suggest you get a 37 to 49 mm step up ring.. a lot better selection of 49 mm filters are available. Another good filter is a circular polarizer, to cut back on glare and enrich the solor saturation....
joe

Post by joe »

well i guess i was a bit off. thanks for the clarification.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Canons are great camaras but there should be a disc or somthing that you could get for your camcorder.
Famous
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Curts

Post by Curts »

A disk?

Try www.bhphotovideo.com to search for wideangle lenses with the thread patern of your camera. They have snap on Raynox's for about $40, or professional quality Century wide angles for about $700